Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Route Announcement: LGW-OAK Oakland, California, starting March 28, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Route Announcement: LGW-OAK Oakland, California, starting March 28, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by capin
I really hope BA relaunch LHR-CLT.
But don't you hate BA these days?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; VS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Portland(PDX) is well overdue at this point. As is STL and BNA.
...and SLC (which DL/VS code-share has already started)...
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'll have to at least have a nibble at my previous words, if not eat them all; in the other thread about possible service to OAK I declared it to have no merit and said no-one paying BA's prices would want to fly there. At BA's SFO/SJC prices, yes. At these ex-LGW near-Norwegian prices, some people might well suffer OAK.

I know I would be tempted if I could finesse a way to get my company to pay BA CW LGW-OAK at the price of BA WT+ LHR-SFO - last time I tried to fly LHR-SFO direct, WT+ was near £2000.

Interesting move by BA here, trying to cover both ends of the market with the same company and facilities - this can lead to a very dominant position if done successfully.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by vscxfan
...and SLC (which DL/VS code-share has already started)...
.......as has also happened at PDX (DL to LHR) an SEA (VS to LHR).
Old Nov 2, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sts603
This seems to be a predatory move pure and simple. I cannot imagine this route making viable sense on its own. To LHR? Maybe. But to LGW without the connecting options? Very unlikely.
LGW has a few connecting options these days.

In any event London to Bay Area has a lot of demand.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: EasyJet Flight Club
If BA went 10-abreast on the 777 surely it would have to be fleet wide and I can't see them lose Club at Gatwick as long as they have Barbados, St Lucia etc - that would just be a own goal to Virgin.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sts603
This seems to be a predatory move pure and simple. I cannot imagine this route making viable sense on its own. To LHR? Maybe. But to LGW without the connecting options? Very unlikely.
Hmm - remember Laker?

Last edited by winchpete; Nov 2, 2016 at 3:40 am Reason: Wrong cut and paste
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I must stop using my phone to post
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Someone should really tell Europe's number one carrier to California that there's no "The" in "Big Sur" ....
I'm from central California and we often refer to it that way. Sort of like people call it "The Algarve" in Portugal. They should, however, have said "Northern California" and not "North California"
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by luxurytravelled
If BA went 10-abreast on the 777 surely it would have to be fleet wide and I can't see them lose Club at Gatwick as long as they have Barbados, St Lucia etc - that would just be a own goal to Virgin.
Huh? When they go 10-abreast it will be for Economy - they won't lose Premium Eco or Club (although numbers could change if they reconfig the layout).

The seat plan referred to above was from a long time ago when BA originally tried 10-abreast and when CW wasn't flat bed, but that's not what a new seat plan would look like now.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Huh? When they go 10-abreast it will be for Economy - they won't lose Premium Eco or Club (although numbers could change if they reconfig the layout).

The seat plan referred to above was from a long time ago when BA originally tried 10-abreast and when CW wasn't flat bed, but that's not what a new seat plan would look like now.
If folks flying DY are not fussed about a flat bed, expect the same from BA. I think that old seat map (late 90s was it) would stand as a good base of base of what to expect.

EK have a similar layout to that above on some of their 2 class 777-300s iirc. Albeit it is a J and Y product as I don't believe they have yet seen a need for a premium economy.

The vast majority of the money on these routes comes from Y class as that is what the majority are predominantly looking for we are told, price. So perhaps a couple of J rows, 5 WT+ Rows then all Y. That is IF BA are thinking of this. All wild speculation on my part, but if BA are gunning for a head to head I would imagine they will match product with product and volume against volume, only our food would be 'free' (yes yes I know) along with the standing baggage allowance to create more 'value for money'.

Again all wild personal speculation, but I imagine it will be a war of volumes on these routes to make them work.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sigwx
If folks flying DY are not fussed about a flat bed, expect the same from BA. I think that old seat map (late 90s was it) would stand as a good base of base of what to expect.

EK have a similar layout to that above on some of their 2 class 777-300s iirc. Albeit it is a J and Y product as I don't believe they have yet seen a need for a premium economy.
There's plenty of money on London to the Bay Area, even to the east bay. I can see that the the Y/W/J numbers might be re-balanced, but taking out all the flatbeds would be ridiculous.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
There's plenty of money on London to the Bay Area, even to the east bay. Taking out all the flatbeds would be ridiculous.
Would LHR-SFO and LGW-OAK not attract their own independent markets for that section of Cali? One on convenience and product, the other on price for the sake of being close-ish? As already pointed out, LGW connections are not what they used to be back in the days of 'the hub without the hubbub'.

It really wouldn't surprise me to hear of a tripple reconfig for a few hulls.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Would LHR-SFO and LGW-OAK not attract their own independent markets for that section of Cali? One on convenience and product, the other on price for the sake of being close-ish? As already pointed out, LGW connections are not what they used to be back in the days of 'the hub without the hubbub'.

It really wouldn't surprise me to hear of a tripple reconfig for a few hulls.
I don't think the markets will be independent. OAK is not actually that far from SF financial district, maybe a thirty/forty minute drive which compares favourably to SFO, particularly given that OAK is a lot smaller and for some travellers thus "nicer". There's admittedly no BART at OAK (there is a bus to a BART stop) but I don't think that would stop too many people. Plus there is quite a bit of gentrification happening in Oakland itself, along with a boom in tech startups, which will support some J travel. Also it's enormously more convenient for Livermore Labs, so I wish this had existed when I was a regular visitor, although since scientists are cheap that traffic is probably not important to BA.

I am sure the route will be biased towards leisure travellers and it will relieve some pressure on SFO. But I don't imagine it will be a dichotomy of SFO/expensive business and OAK/cheap leisure.

Last edited by Calchas; Nov 2, 2016 at 5:23 am Reason: BART absence corrected
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Why the negativity about OAK as an airport/destination? If your final destination is SF then it's ideal. It's like 40 mins max to the city. Same (if not better) than SFO using public transport.

Originally Posted by Calchas
There's admittedly no BART at OAK (there is a bus to a BART stop) but I don't think that would stop too many people.
There is now - you change at Coliseum and the station is outside T1 I think. It's great!

If the flights are cheap - I'll be on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.