Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC silver

Just landed in Vancouver after cabin crew were fainting.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
One or several, if you know?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:03 am
Original Poster

It's appears several, must be on the lower deck. Shame the divert was west and not closer to London.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:07 am
Original Poster

All the crew being taken off to see paramedics.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Swampz64
It's appears several, must be on the lower deck. Shame the divert was west and not closer to London.
Divert was made when closest to YYC (Calgary) however it was fogbound at the time, apparently.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:18 am
Original Poster

How do the airline inform you of new flight arrangements, text, email or do we have to contact BA in the morning?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:27 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
How do the airline inform you of new flight arrangements, text, email or do we have to contact BA in the morning?
I'd check the BA App regularly - it tends to be updated at the same time as MMB on the website.

M
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:28 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Divert was made when closest to YYC (Calgary) however it was fogbound at the time, apparently.
Ouch. To be fair, YVR is better positioned to handle a 380. BA use the A10 gate at YYC and it can barely handle a 788
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Should get sorted at the airport, But could be a long delay, may need a new crew flown out.
or at minimum to rest a while!

might be worth trying to get moved onto todays vancouver - LHR floght
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Typically in this scenario it comes centrally. So MMB / your App will get updated with the arrangements but understandably it can take a while since I imagine BA are not sure what staff are fit to fly and where they are. Note that you may want to refresh the App or use the full site, since this is precisely the area where updates get stuck in a cache. If a decision is made quickly (and the omens aren't good here) you may be told in Vancouver, so locally but that can't be relied upon. Your service is marked, currently, as "rerouted", which normally means they will reinstate the service once the crew situation is resolved. If it goes to "cancelled" you need to ring BA straightaway and get yourself rebooked directly or indirectly. If you want an AC or non BA/AA routing you best do that at the airport, however. Basically the rule is if you want to stay AA or BA then call up, if not then the airport staff need help you, but I dread to think what the queue is like at 01:30 hrs locally. You may want to research your options now so you can steer this in a way that suits you best. Eg. Seattle?

In your shoes, if landside, and assuming staff are overwhelmed with a full A380 half full of Californians, half filled with antsy Brits, I would find a good value hotel, get yourself out of the way and watch BA.com until there is clarity. Assuming you are HBO or the baggage is offloaded (which could be awkward here). The Hilton at the airport is a few miles away from YVR, but not too far, and is connected to the city by good public transport a few blocks off. There are several hotels nearer the airport, but that Hilton is the one in my notebook for VVR irrops. Telephone: +1-604-273-6336

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 25, 2016 at 2:36 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:38 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What could have happened that several crew fainted? Something wrong with the hotel food? Or something in the aircraft ventilation system?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just landed in Vancouver after cabin crew were fainting.
This sounds like the cause could have been fumes. Did you notice anything? Did any passengers become I'll?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Typically in this scenario it comes centrally. So MMB / your App will get updated with the arrangements but understandably it can take a while since I imagine BA are not sure what staff are fit to fly and where they are. Note that you may want to refresh the App or use the full site, since this is precisely the area where updates get stuck in a cache. If a decision is made quickly (and the omens aren't good here) you may be told in Vancouver, so locally but that can't be relied upon. Your service is marked, currently, as "rerouted", which normally means they will reinstate the service once the crew situation is resolved. If it goes to "cancelled" you need to ring BA straightaway and get yourself rebooked directly or indirectly. If you want an AC or non BA/AA routing you best do that at the airport, however. Basically the rule is if you want to stay AA or BA then call up, if not then the airport staff need help you, but I dread to think what the queue is like at 01:30 hrs locally. You may want to research your options now so you can steer this in a way that suits you best. Eg. Seattle?

In your shoes, if landside, and assuming staff are overwhelmed with a full A380 half full of Californians, half filled with antsy Brits, I would find a good value hotel, get yourself out of the way and watch BA.com until there is clarity. Assuming you are HBO or the baggage is offloaded (which could be awkward here). The Hilton at the airport is a few miles away from YVR, but not too far, and is connected to the city by good public transport a few blocks off. There are several hotels nearer the airport, but that Hilton is the one in my notebook for VVR irrops. Telephone: +1-604-273-6336
In this case, do you pay for the hotel and get the money back from BA? Or if that takes a while to get the money back you just wait until BA sorts you out, which I guess takes a long time?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:40 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

Also is this considered force majeure due to crew sickness as in no compensation for the delay? Or can you say that the crew fainted due to a problem with the airplane and it's the airline's fault?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sxc
What could have happened that several crew fainted? Something wrong with the hotel food? Or something in the aircraft ventilation system?
I don't think people usually faint from food poisoning. They might feel nauseous, vomit, or experience diarrhea in combination with general weakness and perhaps a fever.

IANAMD = I Am Not A MD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.