FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1798378-a380-g-xleb-sfo-lhr-diverted-yvr-due-staff-sickness-25-oct-2016-a.html)

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 12:48 am

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Just landed in Vancouver after cabin crew were fainting.

Doc Savage Oct 25, 2016 1:01 am

One or several, if you know?

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 1:03 am

It's appears several, must be on the lower deck. Shame the divert was west and not closer to London.

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 1:07 am

All the crew being taken off to see paramedics.

Jordan D Oct 25, 2016 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389746)
It's appears several, must be on the lower deck. Shame the divert was west and not closer to London.

Divert was made when closest to YYC (Calgary) however it was fogbound at the time, apparently.

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 2:18 am

How do the airline inform you of new flight arrangements, text, email or do we have to contact BA in the morning?

msm2000uk Oct 25, 2016 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389885)
How do the airline inform you of new flight arrangements, text, email or do we have to contact BA in the morning?

I'd check the BA App regularly - it tends to be updated at the same time as MMB on the website.

M

Tiger_lily Oct 25, 2016 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Jordan D (Post 27389811)
Divert was made when closest to YYC (Calgary) however it was fogbound at the time, apparently.

Ouch. To be fair, YVR is better positioned to handle a 380. BA use the A10 gate at YYC and it can barely handle a 788

stewaran Oct 25, 2016 2:29 am

Should get sorted at the airport, But could be a long delay, may need a new crew flown out.
or at minimum to rest a while!

might be worth trying to get moved onto todays vancouver - LHR floght

corporate-wage-slave Oct 25, 2016 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389885)

Typically in this scenario it comes centrally. So MMB / your App will get updated with the arrangements but understandably it can take a while since I imagine BA are not sure what staff are fit to fly and where they are. Note that you may want to refresh the App or use the full site, since this is precisely the area where updates get stuck in a cache. If a decision is made quickly (and the omens aren't good here) you may be told in Vancouver, so locally but that can't be relied upon. Your service is marked, currently, as "rerouted", which normally means they will reinstate the service once the crew situation is resolved. If it goes to "cancelled" you need to ring BA straightaway and get yourself rebooked directly or indirectly. If you want an AC or non BA/AA routing you best do that at the airport, however. Basically the rule is if you want to stay AA or BA then call up, if not then the airport staff need help you, but I dread to think what the queue is like at 01:30 hrs locally. You may want to research your options now so you can steer this in a way that suits you best. Eg. Seattle?

In your shoes, if landside, and assuming staff are overwhelmed with a full A380 half full of Californians, half filled with antsy Brits, I would find a good value hotel, get yourself out of the way and watch BA.com until there is clarity. Assuming you are HBO or the baggage is offloaded (which could be awkward here). The Hilton at the airport is a few miles away from YVR, but not too far, and is connected to the city by good public transport a few blocks off. There are several hotels nearer the airport, but that Hilton is the one in my notebook for VVR irrops. Telephone: +1-604-273-6336

sxc Oct 25, 2016 2:38 am

What could have happened that several crew fainted? Something wrong with the hotel food? Or something in the aircraft ventilation system?

MSPeconomist Oct 25, 2016 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389705)
Just landed in Vancouver after cabin crew were fainting.

This sounds like the cause could have been fumes. Did you notice anything? Did any passengers become I'll?

ahmetdouas Oct 25, 2016 2:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27389913)
Typically in this scenario it comes centrally. So MMB / your App will get updated with the arrangements but understandably it can take a while since I imagine BA are not sure what staff are fit to fly and where they are. Note that you may want to refresh the App or use the full site, since this is precisely the area where updates get stuck in a cache. If a decision is made quickly (and the omens aren't good here) you may be told in Vancouver, so locally but that can't be relied upon. Your service is marked, currently, as "rerouted", which normally means they will reinstate the service once the crew situation is resolved. If it goes to "cancelled" you need to ring BA straightaway and get yourself rebooked directly or indirectly. If you want an AC or non BA/AA routing you best do that at the airport, however. Basically the rule is if you want to stay AA or BA then call up, if not then the airport staff need help you, but I dread to think what the queue is like at 01:30 hrs locally. You may want to research your options now so you can steer this in a way that suits you best. Eg. Seattle?

In your shoes, if landside, and assuming staff are overwhelmed with a full A380 half full of Californians, half filled with antsy Brits, I would find a good value hotel, get yourself out of the way and watch BA.com until there is clarity. Assuming you are HBO or the baggage is offloaded (which could be awkward here). The Hilton at the airport is a few miles away from YVR, but not too far, and is connected to the city by good public transport a few blocks off. There are several hotels nearer the airport, but that Hilton is the one in my notebook for VVR irrops. Telephone: +1-604-273-6336

In this case, do you pay for the hotel and get the money back from BA? Or if that takes a while to get the money back you just wait until BA sorts you out, which I guess takes a long time?

ahmetdouas Oct 25, 2016 2:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27389913)

Also is this considered force majeure due to crew sickness as in no compensation for the delay? Or can you say that the crew fainted due to a problem with the airplane and it's the airline's fault?

MSPeconomist Oct 25, 2016 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 27389930)
What could have happened that several crew fainted? Something wrong with the hotel food? Or something in the aircraft ventilation system?

I don't think people usually faint from food poisoning. They might feel nauseous, vomit, or experience diarrhea in combination with general weakness and perhaps a fever.

IANAMD = I Am Not A MD