FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1798378-a380-g-xleb-sfo-lhr-diverted-yvr-due-staff-sickness-25-oct-2016-a.html)

dlesin Oct 25, 2016 8:15 pm

I second what Finkface said, if any Ft folks need somewhere to rest I can arrange places within the city. Please reach out if there is anything(literally) that I can help with.

CDTraveler Oct 25, 2016 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by CountryKerry (Post 27391739)
Out of curiosity what would happen if you aren't allowed into Canada? I know they have very strict rules about foreign visitors with a background not squeaky clean and prior waivers? Suppose they can't leave you on the plane on the other hand?

Had an unpleasant experience with YVR and IRROPs that might answer your question.

We were on CX flight from YVR to SFO that was supposed to leave about 6 pm. 6 came and went and we sat there. About 90 minutes later it was announced that 2 FA's had not shown up and we were waiting for replacements. Another 2 hours later they still had not shown up and pax started demanding to get off the plane. Eventually a uniformed office of some sort came on board and announced that as the Canadian immigration staff had left for the night, under no circumstances could we be allowed back into the airport.

Around 11 pm the 2 replacement FA's arrived, and then there was another issue as those 2 were fresh out of training (literally this was going to be their first working flight) and there weren't enough senior staff on board. Eventually some CX official in a distant office authorized them to work sans sufficient senior staff.

So 6 hours late, the pilot fires up the engines and something went wrong. I have no idea what; we were just told that that plane was not flying that night. The airport dude comes back on the plane and says the pax are still not allowed back into Canada as technically having cleared US customs we weren't in Canada anymore.

Finally at 1:30 am they rounded up enough police to form a barrier of sorts and the pax were herded directly onto another plane with cops making sure nobody made a break for it. It was a very bizarre situation considering that the pax on the plane had been in Vancouver prior to boarding the flight, or at least allowed in the airport long enough to connect.

So if a plane makes an emergency landing or goes mechanical or has whatever crisis you can dream up, it seems the staff at YVR are quite likely to leave you sitting on the plane. One article linked above seemed to say that the pax sat for quite a while before being allowed off the plane. (maybe YVR was calling in immigration staff?)

YYZFlyboy Oct 25, 2016 9:12 pm

This stinks of some kind of crew industrial action of the worst kind.
- Basically ONLY crew affected (all crew!!)
- Reports are they all grabbed their bags and walked off the flight
- None of them were admitted to hospital - all checked and sent packing
- Saw images of a large group of crew members strolling into the hospital with their bags like they were going into a terminal
- Passengers were left on the plane watching all the crew being taken away on a bus!
- Passengers were basically told nothing and abandoned by the crew.

This stinks of something really bad and I hope they get to the bottom of it. Not just the dereliction of duty but what if something had happened on the plane when the crew abandoned it? 400+ passengers left to fend for themselves! BA should be absolutely ashamed, heads should roll!

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 9:14 pm

Now at LAX having got AA flight here. BA offering W to J for $950 which is just too much despite 3-4 hours sleep, a long flight and a 3 hour drag home by tube and train. $600 and I'd have taken it.

YYZflyboy your assessment is way out. Plenty of info on the plane and everything good through immigration and baggage. Only two desks to sort hotels which must have taken hours.

The crew abandoning pax is just wrong. The captain was standing outside the cockpit at the bottom of the J to F stairs when we got off wishing pax well.

sxc Oct 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27389996)
Yes, it's easier to pay yourself and reclaim the hotel cost. Particularly if you have status I don't see the point in standing in a queue for 2 in the morning when you can sort yourself out for probably the same cost as the airline.

Inflight wi-fi is going to become mighty useful in these kinds of circumstances.

JAXBA Oct 25, 2016 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen (Post 27392388)
Will this be another example of poor BA maintenance?

My crystal ball is cloudy, how's yours? Maybe try a magic 8 ball?

ACARS Oct 26, 2016 1:09 am

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy (Post 27393630)
- Saw images of a large group of crew members strolling into the hospital with their bags like they were going into a terminal
- Passengers were left on the plane watching all the crew being taken away on a bus!

This stinks of something really bad and I hope they get to the bottom of it. Not just the dereliction of duty but what if something had happened on the plane when the crew abandoned it? 400+ passengers left to fend for themselves! BA should be absolutely ashamed, heads should roll!

Nice trolling attempt. And I suppose you have no linkable or uploadable evidence to support that? I havent been abandoned on any aircraft with any airline ever. I seriously doubt your claim.

simonrp84 Oct 26, 2016 1:20 am

MSPeconomist Oct 26, 2016 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Aspen (Post 27393161)
If you are a non US person who was permitted in the US I can't see many problems with you entering Canada.

A DUI conviction? Possession of a small amount of pot in the past, even in a state where it's a citation rather a felony or even a misdemeanor.

Tiger_lily Oct 26, 2016 1:32 am

Originally Posted by kirky (Post 27393140)
It was apparently originally supposed to divert to Calgary, but I doubt they can handle an A380 there and the imminent (next week!) opening of the new international terminal there probably didn't help...

YYC AFAIK has no A380 capability apart from a very long runway unless the new terminal resolves this.

Can I help you Oct 26, 2016 1:39 am

And as for reports that the crew abandoned customers onboard, that's rubbish.
With customers onboard each pair of doors needs to be manned by a crewmember.

MSPeconomist Oct 26, 2016 1:40 am

Originally Posted by ACARS (Post 27394095)
Nice trolling attempt. And I suppose you have no linkable or uploadable evidence to support that? I havent been abandoned on any aircraft with any airline ever. I seriously doubt your claim.

AFAIK passengers aren't allowed to be on a commercial aircraft unless there are some minimum number of FAs in case an emergency evacuation would be needed for instance. I would guess that this is a FAA rule, although I suspect there's a similar European regulation. (Maybe related or maybe OT, I've observed KLM FAs instruct passengers sitting on board to UNfasten all seat belts when the aircraft is being fueled at the gate, in case we would have needed to leave the aircraft quickly.)

cuspidor Oct 26, 2016 3:43 am

Originally Posted by YYZFlyboy (Post 27393630)

You have lost all credibility with your post.

Joely Oct 26, 2016 3:53 am

Originally Posted by cuspidor (Post 27394374)
You have lost all credibility with your post.

Don't feed the troll.....

PeaSouper Oct 26, 2016 4:27 am

Originally Posted by SteveF (Post 27392182)
Isn't there an international rule covering this situation whereby temporary entry is given to all on board?

There was a CX flight from AMS to HKG earlier this year that diverted via MSQ due to a fuel leak. Belarus is notoriously difficult to obtain a visa and visas are required even for transit. Passengers were kept onboard the plane until a replacement arrived, for about 12 hours in total.