FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1798378-a380-g-xleb-sfo-lhr-diverted-yvr-due-staff-sickness-25-oct-2016-a.html)

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 12:48 am

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Just landed in Vancouver after cabin crew were fainting.

Doc Savage Oct 25, 2016 1:01 am

One or several, if you know?

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 1:03 am

It's appears several, must be on the lower deck. Shame the divert was west and not closer to London.

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 1:07 am

All the crew being taken off to see paramedics.

Jordan D Oct 25, 2016 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389746)
It's appears several, must be on the lower deck. Shame the divert was west and not closer to London.

Divert was made when closest to YYC (Calgary) however it was fogbound at the time, apparently.

Swampz64 Oct 25, 2016 2:18 am

How do the airline inform you of new flight arrangements, text, email or do we have to contact BA in the morning?

msm2000uk Oct 25, 2016 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389885)
How do the airline inform you of new flight arrangements, text, email or do we have to contact BA in the morning?

I'd check the BA App regularly - it tends to be updated at the same time as MMB on the website.

M

Tiger_lily Oct 25, 2016 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Jordan D (Post 27389811)
Divert was made when closest to YYC (Calgary) however it was fogbound at the time, apparently.

Ouch. To be fair, YVR is better positioned to handle a 380. BA use the A10 gate at YYC and it can barely handle a 788

stewaran Oct 25, 2016 2:29 am

Should get sorted at the airport, But could be a long delay, may need a new crew flown out.
or at minimum to rest a while!

might be worth trying to get moved onto todays vancouver - LHR floght

corporate-wage-slave Oct 25, 2016 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389885)

Typically in this scenario it comes centrally. So MMB / your App will get updated with the arrangements but understandably it can take a while since I imagine BA are not sure what staff are fit to fly and where they are. Note that you may want to refresh the App or use the full site, since this is precisely the area where updates get stuck in a cache. If a decision is made quickly (and the omens aren't good here) you may be told in Vancouver, so locally but that can't be relied upon. Your service is marked, currently, as "rerouted", which normally means they will reinstate the service once the crew situation is resolved. If it goes to "cancelled" you need to ring BA straightaway and get yourself rebooked directly or indirectly. If you want an AC or non BA/AA routing you best do that at the airport, however. Basically the rule is if you want to stay AA or BA then call up, if not then the airport staff need help you, but I dread to think what the queue is like at 01:30 hrs locally. You may want to research your options now so you can steer this in a way that suits you best. Eg. Seattle?

In your shoes, if landside, and assuming staff are overwhelmed with a full A380 half full of Californians, half filled with antsy Brits, I would find a good value hotel, get yourself out of the way and watch BA.com until there is clarity. Assuming you are HBO or the baggage is offloaded (which could be awkward here). The Hilton at the airport is a few miles away from YVR, but not too far, and is connected to the city by good public transport a few blocks off. There are several hotels nearer the airport, but that Hilton is the one in my notebook for VVR irrops. Telephone: +1-604-273-6336

sxc Oct 25, 2016 2:38 am

What could have happened that several crew fainted? Something wrong with the hotel food? Or something in the aircraft ventilation system?

MSPeconomist Oct 25, 2016 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Swampz64 (Post 27389705)
Just landed in Vancouver after cabin crew were fainting.

This sounds like the cause could have been fumes. Did you notice anything? Did any passengers become I'll?

ahmetdouas Oct 25, 2016 2:39 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27389913)
Typically in this scenario it comes centrally. So MMB / your App will get updated with the arrangements but understandably it can take a while since I imagine BA are not sure what staff are fit to fly and where they are. Note that you may want to refresh the App or use the full site, since this is precisely the area where updates get stuck in a cache. If a decision is made quickly (and the omens aren't good here) you may be told in Vancouver, so locally but that can't be relied upon. Your service is marked, currently, as "rerouted", which normally means they will reinstate the service once the crew situation is resolved. If it goes to "cancelled" you need to ring BA straightaway and get yourself rebooked directly or indirectly. If you want an AC or non BA/AA routing you best do that at the airport, however. Basically the rule is if you want to stay AA or BA then call up, if not then the airport staff need help you, but I dread to think what the queue is like at 01:30 hrs locally. You may want to research your options now so you can steer this in a way that suits you best. Eg. Seattle?

In your shoes, if landside, and assuming staff are overwhelmed with a full A380 half full of Californians, half filled with antsy Brits, I would find a good value hotel, get yourself out of the way and watch BA.com until there is clarity. Assuming you are HBO or the baggage is offloaded (which could be awkward here). The Hilton at the airport is a few miles away from YVR, but not too far, and is connected to the city by good public transport a few blocks off. There are several hotels nearer the airport, but that Hilton is the one in my notebook for VVR irrops. Telephone: +1-604-273-6336

In this case, do you pay for the hotel and get the money back from BA? Or if that takes a while to get the money back you just wait until BA sorts you out, which I guess takes a long time?

ahmetdouas Oct 25, 2016 2:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27389913)

Also is this considered force majeure due to crew sickness as in no compensation for the delay? Or can you say that the crew fainted due to a problem with the airplane and it's the airline's fault?

MSPeconomist Oct 25, 2016 2:42 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 27389930)
What could have happened that several crew fainted? Something wrong with the hotel food? Or something in the aircraft ventilation system?

I don't think people usually faint from food poisoning. They might feel nauseous, vomit, or experience diarrhea in combination with general weakness and perhaps a fever.

IANAMD = I Am Not A MD

SK AAR Oct 25, 2016 2:51 am

Obviously, diversion due to crew sickness/fainting is extraordinary circumstances and does not give rise to EC 261/04 claim - no matter the reason for the sickness. It will be uphill if you try to argue that BA could have forseen and should have avoided the crew getting sick.

scillyisles Oct 25, 2016 3:01 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 27389950)
Obviously, diversion due to crew sickness/fainting is extraordinary circumstances and does not give rise to EC 261/04 claim - no matter the reason for the sickness. It will be uphill if you try to argue that BA could have forseen and should have avoided the crew getting sick.

Ermm not if the problem is a maintenance issue with the A380 ventilation system. We know that BA is happy to fly A380s around with no water in the toilets, ovens that do not work and food refrigeration systems that fail so I guess faulty ventilation is just another one to add to the list (if this is the cause)

corporate-wage-slave Oct 25, 2016 3:18 am

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 27389932)
In this case, do you pay for the hotel and get the money back from BA? Or if that takes a while to get the money back you just wait until BA sorts you out, which I guess takes a long time?

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas (Post 27389935)
Also is this considered force majeure due to crew sickness as in no compensation for the delay? Or can you say that the crew fainted due to a problem with the airplane and it's the airline's fault?

Yes, it's easier to pay yourself and reclaim the hotel cost. Particularly if you have status I don't see the point in standing in a queue for 2 in the morning when you can sort yourself out for probably the same cost as the airline. Generally BA are quite fast in this scenario, it can be paid by Customer Relations direct and there will be clear evidence on their computer as to the circumstances here. Two weeks perhaps, if you call up?

It's a bit early to speculate the cause of this and whether the delay/cancellation provisions apply. On the face of the limited information it seems to fit the commonsense definition of "extraordinary" to me, which is an important point here, and is not "inherent", but I would need more information really.

ahmetdouas Oct 25, 2016 4:35 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27389996)
Yes, it's easier to pay yourself and reclaim the hotel cost. Particularly if you have status I don't see the point in standing in a queue for 2 in the morning when you can sort yourself out for probably the same cost as the airline. Generally BA are quite fast in this scenario, it can be paid by Customer Relations direct and there will be clear evidence on their computer as to the circumstances here. Two weeks perhaps, if you call up?

It's a bit early to speculate the cause of this and whether the delay/cancellation provisions apply. On the face of the limited information it seems to fit the commonsense definition of "extraordinary" to me, which is an important point here, and is not "inherent", but I would need more information really.

Thanks for the advice!

RedDevil83 Oct 25, 2016 5:52 am

Reuters: 25 British Airways passengers & crew admitted to hospitals in Vancouver for smoke inhalation after plane declared medical emergency

NFH Oct 25, 2016 5:57 am

BA emergency landing sends 25 to hospital at YVR for smoke inhalation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...uver-1.3820082

shadowline Oct 25, 2016 6:19 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37761980

cosmo74 Oct 25, 2016 6:21 am

This is now 'Breaking News' on the Daily Mail (obviously take any 'facts' with a pinch of salt) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Vancouver.html

Wonder if the person quoted from Twitter is the OP?

shadowline Oct 25, 2016 6:21 am

The fact that this has been picked up by news media makes me think that BA are in for a particularly bumpy ride on this, especially after LCY last week.

lavajava Oct 25, 2016 6:27 am

Not sure why it would make a difference but Twitter poster states they are Bronze. The OP FT profile says Silver.

In any case, hope everyone affected makes it back soon and well.

CincySaint Oct 25, 2016 6:44 am

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/25/europe...ada/index.html

DrBernardo Oct 25, 2016 6:55 am

Just out of sheer curiousity (and assuming this particular incident is fume related rather than something else) thinking about the comments recently on the A380 water/ovens situations and other incidents further back, has anyone collected any stats as to which airframes issues are occurring with. I'd be interested to see whether they're evenly distributed across the fleet, or whether some of the whalejets are more problem-children than others?

stevie Oct 25, 2016 7:01 am

This is concerning, people who actually are meant to in charge if something goes wrong fainting from smoke inhalation on board the plane. Maintenance have something to answer for here, if indeed all this is true.

babats Oct 25, 2016 7:09 am

Just read this quote from the Daily Mail:

Passenger XXXXXXXX tweeted the airline: 'Currently in Vancouver having been diverted from SFO to LHR. What are my options for flights. I'm an exec bronze member.'

What a DYKWIA!

Doc Savage Oct 25, 2016 7:11 am

This is all speculation.

Thank god all are safe and sound on the ground. Smoke suggests fire, and that's pretty scary. Hope no Samsung phones or vape smokers spontaneously combusted.

lsbuffs Oct 25, 2016 8:17 am

Having only recently taken off from SFO, wonder how close the aircraft was to Maximum Landing Weight. Looking at the Flight Aware tracking, doesn't seem it circled, although I suppose it could have been dumping fuel from Calgary to Vancouver.

Rubecula Oct 25, 2016 8:19 am

BA.COM showing the flight due to arrive into LHR at 19:10. Presume that is just a ferry flight with no passengers.

Where am I today? Oct 25, 2016 8:22 am

BBC now reporting it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37761980

"Twenty-five crew members went to local hospitals as a precaution but were later discharged, said BA spokeswoman Michele Kropf.

The crew were not treated for smoke inhalation as reported, she said."

The Ginge Oct 25, 2016 8:38 am

Twenty-five crew members went to local hospitals as a precaution but were later discharged, said BA spokeswoman Michele Kropf.
I know there are lots of crew on an A380 but surely 25 would be all of them including Pilots?!

theultimateflyer Oct 25, 2016 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula (Post 27390792)
BA.COM showing the flight due to arrive into LHR at 19:10. Presume that is just a ferry flight with no passengers.

BA.com shows the flight as having left at 2 AM (it landed at around midnight). That's an impressively fast turn-around considering the entire crew was taken sick (and would have eventually run out of hours). I wonder if they had an A380 crew standing-by in Vancouver? The daily Vancouver service is back to 747 so wouldn't really know why an A380 crew would be here.

RunningforMiles Oct 25, 2016 9:04 am

Originally Posted by The Ginge (Post 27390874)
I know there are lots of crew on an A380 but surely 25 would be all of them including Pilots?!

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=49fd405e&opt=0

totti Oct 25, 2016 9:13 am

Good to hear that all pax and crew are safe and sound and hopefully everyone will make it back to LHR soon.

Oxon Flyer Oct 25, 2016 9:18 am

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles (Post 27390972)

Declaring an emergency when 680nm away from Vancouver, and landing there 30 minutes later ?

chx1975 Oct 25, 2016 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 27391034)
Declaring an emergency when 680nm away from Vancouver, and landing there 30 minutes later ?

This has been fixed since but the post makes no sense: "Accident: British Airways A388 near Vancouver on Oct 24th 2016, 25 treated for smoke inhalation" and then later " none of the occupants was treated for smoke inhalation". Erm, what?

chucko Oct 25, 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by chx1975 (Post 27391367)
This has been fixed since but the post makes no sense: "Accident: British Airways A388 near Vancouver on Oct 24th 2016, 25 treated for smoke inhalation" and then later " none of the occupants was treated for smoke inhalation". Erm, what?

The real Sun quotes a BA spoke as saying they "can't confirm it was smoke inhalation":

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-with-ill-crew