Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Obviously, diversion due to crew sickness/fainting is extraordinary circumstances and does not give rise to EC 261/04 claim - no matter the reason for the sickness. It will be uphill if you try to argue that BA could have forseen and should have avoided the crew getting sick.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Obviously, diversion due to crew sickness/fainting is extraordinary circumstances and does not give rise to EC 261/04 claim - no matter the reason for the sickness. It will be uphill if you try to argue that BA could have forseen and should have avoided the crew getting sick.
Ermm not if the problem is a maintenance issue with the A380 ventilation system. We know that BA is happy to fly A380s around with no water in the toilets, ovens that do not work and food refrigeration systems that fail so I guess faulty ventilation is just another one to add to the list (if this is the cause)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
In this case, do you pay for the hotel and get the money back from BA? Or if that takes a while to get the money back you just wait until BA sorts you out, which I guess takes a long time?
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Also is this considered force majeure due to crew sickness as in no compensation for the delay? Or can you say that the crew fainted due to a problem with the airplane and it's the airline's fault?
Yes, it's easier to pay yourself and reclaim the hotel cost. Particularly if you have status I don't see the point in standing in a queue for 2 in the morning when you can sort yourself out for probably the same cost as the airline. Generally BA are quite fast in this scenario, it can be paid by Customer Relations direct and there will be clear evidence on their computer as to the circumstances here. Two weeks perhaps, if you call up?

It's a bit early to speculate the cause of this and whether the delay/cancellation provisions apply. On the face of the limited information it seems to fit the commonsense definition of "extraordinary" to me, which is an important point here, and is not "inherent", but I would need more information really.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, it's easier to pay yourself and reclaim the hotel cost. Particularly if you have status I don't see the point in standing in a queue for 2 in the morning when you can sort yourself out for probably the same cost as the airline. Generally BA are quite fast in this scenario, it can be paid by Customer Relations direct and there will be clear evidence on their computer as to the circumstances here. Two weeks perhaps, if you call up?

It's a bit early to speculate the cause of this and whether the delay/cancellation provisions apply. On the face of the limited information it seems to fit the commonsense definition of "extraordinary" to me, which is an important point here, and is not "inherent", but I would need more information really.
Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Reuters: 25 British Airways passengers & crew admitted to hospitals in Vancouver for smoke inhalation after plane declared medical emergency
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:57 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
BA emergency landing sends 25 to hospital at YVR for smoke inhalation

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...uver-1.3820082
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:19 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37761980
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:21 am

The fact that this has been picked up by news media makes me think that BA are in for a particularly bumpy ride on this, especially after LCY last week.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
This is now 'Breaking News' on the Daily Mail (obviously take any 'facts' with a pinch of salt) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...Vancouver.html

Wonder if the person quoted from Twitter is the OP?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:27 am

Not sure why it would make a difference but Twitter poster states they are Bronze. The OP FT profile says Silver.

In any case, hope everyone affected makes it back soon and well.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:44 am

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/25/europe...ada/index.html
Old Oct 25, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Just out of sheer curiousity (and assuming this particular incident is fume related rather than something else) thinking about the comments recently on the A380 water/ovens situations and other incidents further back, has anyone collected any stats as to which airframes issues are occurring with. I'd be interested to see whether they're evenly distributed across the fleet, or whether some of the whalejets are more problem-children than others?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: Meh
This is concerning, people who actually are meant to in charge if something goes wrong fainting from smoke inhalation on board the plane. Maintenance have something to answer for here, if indeed all this is true.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Just read this quote from the Daily Mail:

Passenger XXXXXXXX tweeted the airline: 'Currently in Vancouver having been diverted from SFO to LHR. What are my options for flights. I'm an exec bronze member.'

What a DYKWIA!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
This is all speculation.

Thank god all are safe and sound on the ground. Smoke suggests fire, and that's pretty scary. Hope no Samsung phones or vape smokers spontaneously combusted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.