Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Somebody needs to copy and paste the text please!
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
weird...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...rgency-9545508
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...this somewhat unusual if troubling event.
Bolding mine.

No idea how much hyperbole is in the article but 'somewhat' seems like an understatement* if the article is even 50% correct.

Unless the behaviour below is of course simply the effect of the way BA treat their cabin crew...

“it soon became apparent that more crew were behaving in a non-normal manner ... [with] reports of dizziness, light heads, headaches, nausea, itchy red eyes, metallic taste in mouth, floating-type feelings, flushed, aggression and, most worryingly, forgetfulness and confusion, inability to think straight and converse in normal manner.”

It describes how one crew member said something “completely out of context” and seconds later had forgotten that he had said it. Senior flight attendants would “lose” colleagues who would say they were going to the lavatory but then ended up at the other end of the aircraft “not knowing how they got there”, it adds.

The CSD described “crew in corners on [the] floor with blankets over their heads” and “crew ‘stuffing food’ in their mouths while on oxygen”.
* even when taking Britishness into account.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jan 1, 2017 at 7:31 am
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:13 am

Indeed, for "somewhat unusual" I would substitute "very disturbing".
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
The main elements:

The report, which has been seen by The Sunday Times, was written by the cabin service director (CSD), the most senior grade of flight attendant, who was in charge of the 22-strong cabin crew on a BA flight from San Francisco to London on October 25.....

..About 40 minutes after take-off, while the airliner was over Canada, crew detected a strong noxious smell similar to burning plastic and the flight was diverted to Vancouver. The captain declared an emergency, telling air traffic control that the problem was “toxic gas-type fumes”. After the aircraft landed safely, all the flight attendants and the three pilots were taken to hospital...

...BA later described the incident as an “odour event”, prompting claims by the Unite union that it was downplaying the health risks of potentially toxic fumes in aircraft cabins...

...The leaked report graphically describes the severity of the incident. It details how 12 crew members displayed symptoms that gave “cause for concern” and that eight of the nine crew members on the upper deck plus the captain used emergency oxygen.

After the smell was detected by a door towards the back of the main cabin and on the upper deck, the report says “it soon became apparent that more crew were behaving in a non-normal manner . . . [with] reports of dizziness, light heads, headaches, nausea, itchy red eyes, metallic taste in mouth, floating-type feelings, flushed, aggression and, most worryingly, forgetfulness and confusion, inability to think straight and converse in normal manner.”

It describes how one crew member said something “completely out of context” and seconds later had forgotten that he had said it. Senior flight attendants would “lose” colleagues who would say they were going to the lavatory but then ended up at the other end of the aircraft “not knowing how they got there”, it adds.

The CSD described “crew in corners on [the] floor with blankets over their heads” and “crew ‘stuffing food’ in their mouths while on oxygen”...

BA said its engineers had inspected the aircraft in Vancouver and “no fault was found”.

It added: “The safety of our customers and crew is always our top priority. We have shared our detailed and thorough investigation with the Civil Aviation Authority and fully comply with all safety regulations...”
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
From the article ..... "About 40 minutes after takeoff, while the airliner already was over Canada...."

Not from SFO.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
The main elements:
Is there no mention of passengers being similarly affected, or any clue as to why this malaise seemed to affect only the crew ?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Is there no mention of passengers being similarly affected, or any clue as to why this malaise seemed to affect only the crew ?
They are mentioned too but maybe they were less affected due to less walking around or maybe the fumes were elevated to head height. (Pure speculation on my part!)

Ciara Parkes, a show business publicist who has represented the actors Jude Law and Ewan McGregor, was on the plane with her husband, Gus. She said they feared they were being hijacked because the crew were so panicked.

“I think that’s probably the most terrified I’ve been in my life,” she said.

She said her chest became “incredibly tight” and she struggled to stand during the incident. She claimed some passengers had bloodshot eyes. Four days later Parkes had a blood test that showed elevated levels of enzymes, which can indicate liver problems. She has had regular headaches since.
I still believe that collective hysteria can also be the cause. It is not weird, stupid or uncommon. It is just something that can happen and the way Ciara describes her feelings is quite symptomatic of it.

Last edited by henkybaby; Jan 1, 2017 at 8:32 am
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
If you're asking for the full text of the article, it's:-
  1. [*]
to do that.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Bolding mine.

No idea how much hyperbole is in the article but 'somewhat' seems like an understatement* if the article is even 50% correct.

Unless the behaviour below is of course simply the effect of the way BA treat their cabin crew...

* even when taking Britishness into account.
That "spaced out" is a hint. Babbling, huge appetite and such - did one of the FAs have a weed stash in their luggage that got ignited?
Old May 8, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
New information about the incident revealed today on Aviation Herald

Here's the relevant part:

In May 2018 The Aviation Herald received information that about 40-50 minutes into the flight an odour of glue type and burning plastics was detected near main deck door 4L. A family nearby had just oblate oil on their baby, however, the smell of the oblate oil was different to the odour detected near the door. A short time later the flight attendant in the upper deck galley began to vomit and reported there had been an odour of smelly feet during boarding and departure. Ovens and trash compactors were checked without success. During the following about 40 minutes other cabin crew members began to perform abnormally, complaints about headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, nausea, metallic taste in mouth surfaced, the cabin crew members showed itchy red eyes and became increasingly forgetful, aggressive and confused, e.g. replying completely out of context of an ongoing discussion then bluntly denying what just had been said. The worst affected flight attendant was put on oxygen. Medlink was contacted, at that point 12 cabin crew were cause of concern, the captain subsequently decided to divert. Cabin crew were slow in responding to the diversion and prepare the cabin due to inability to function normally and needed to be queried and guided by other crew. After the diversion was changed to Vancouver, which added another hour of flight time, 8 cabin crew were able to get on oxygen, a few other cabin crew went to go to the toilet but were subsequently found anywhere else in the aircraft but the lavatories. In the meantime the captain had donned his oxygen mask, while the two first officers continued without. Cabin crew became concerned they couldn't cover the doors for landing with that many cabin crew already affected and close to being incapacitated. After landing two firefighters with measurement devices and full protective gear boarded the aircraft, many passengers started to use their mobile phones to take photos and videos. Paramedics boarded and began to examine the cabin crew with the most affected being checked first, the paramedics became concerned with all cabin crew and wanted all of them checked. A number of passengers requested medical assistance, too. The worst affected flight attendant vomitted again and collapsed during disembarking. Cabin crew were taken to three different hospitals across the city but declared fit to fly home as passengers the following day.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
deleted.

Last edited by hsmall; May 8, 2018 at 4:24 pm Reason: didn't notice the age of the incident!
Old May 8, 2018, 4:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
In May 2018 The Aviation Herald received information that about 40-50 minutes into the flight an odour of glue type and burning plastics was detected near main deck door 4L. A family nearby had just oblate oil on their baby, however, the smell of the oblate oil was different to the odour detected near the door.
I'm struggling with the concept of oblate oil, maybe something got lost in translation. I have a close relative who is an Anglican oblate, which is a religious order including that of St Benedict, and they certainly go around with oils, perhaps the most well known being myrrh and frankincense. Both are aromatic gum like resins from thorn trees, and in a confined space to those not used to them they can be quite overpowering. Myrrh in particular does smell like glue, it is used as a gum too. But who would be anoiting a baby in myrrh in this day and age? The partial answer may be if it was an Armenian, Assyrian or Coptic family, since these communities do anoint babies with oils, including myrrh, to mark particular events in their life such as the rite of Chrism, also for anointing the sick. Muslims also use myrrh. If it was due to myrrh it must count as one of the strangest incidents to affect a BA aircraft.

The other use of the word oblate is of a squeezed in spheroid like a tangerine, but I can't see how that fits here.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm struggling with the concept of oblate oil, maybe something got lost in translation. I have a close relative who is an Anglican oblate, which is a religious order including that of St Benedict, and they certainly go around with oils, perhaps the most well known being myrrh and frankincense. Both are aromatic gum like resins from thorn trees, and in a confined space to those not used to them they can be quite overpowering. Myrrh in particular does smell like glue, it is used as a gum too. But who would be anoiting a baby in myrrh in this day and age? The partial answer may be if it was an Armenian, Assyrian or Coptic family, since these communities do anoint babies with oils, including myrrh, to mark particular events in their life such as the rite of Chrism, also for anointing the sick. Muslims also use myrrh. If it was due to myrrh it must count as one of the strangest incidents to affect a BA aircraft.

The other use of the word oblate is of a squeezed in spheroid like a tangerine, but I can't see how that fits here.
Olbas Oil could be another explanation. That has a very pungent smell due to the Peppermint and Eucalyptus and can cause drowsiness, unsteadiness, vomiting and breathing issues if you ingest a big enough dose. I wonder if they tried to use it on a cloth to help a congested child and spilt the whole bottle and the fumes got into the ventilation system. Eucalyptus Oil carries a health warning in Australia because of it's effects.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Olbas Oil could be another explanation. That has a very pungent smell due to the Peppermint and Eucalyptus and can cause drowsiness, unsteadiness, vomiting and breathing issues if you ingest a big enough dose. I wonder if they tried to use it on a cloth to help a congested child and spilt the whole bottle and the fumes got into the ventilation system. Eucalyptus Oil carries a health warning in Australia because of it's effects.
Certainly sounds more plausible than myrrh! And yes, if a bottle of Olbas oil split open on an aircraft I can see how it could cause chaos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.