Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 G-XLEB SFO-LHR diverted to YVR due to staff sickness [25 Oct 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
From The Aviation Herald:

"On Nov 1st 2016 the TSB reported that there was a strong obnoxious smell near the #4 main cabin door and upper flight deck galley. The crew consulted with dispatch and decided to divert to Calgary, but was subsequently notified that Calgary did not have the equipment needed to handle the A380, hence the crew decided to divert to Vancouver. The crew donned their oxygen masks and dumped fuel. The entire 25 crew and a passenger were taken to local hospitals for precautionary checks, 3 cabin crew and the passenger were affected by the fumes, all were released. The operator dispatched maintenance personnel as well as aircraft manufacturer's support personnel to Vancouver, however, no source of the problem could be found. The aircraft positioned to London with only flight crew and maintenance personnel on board, however, despite system troubleshooting in flight no faults were found. The aircraft returned to service."
Sounds like C-W-S is onto something with his Fried Rodent theory. But surely this would effect all flights?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Purim
Sounds like C-W-S is onto something with his Fried Rodent theory. But surely this would effect all flights?
And also wouldn't make people faint.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Purim
BA would never be able to load enough rodents for frying on all flights
Old Nov 2, 2016, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by rapidex
BA would never be able to load enough rodents for frying on all flights
BA has enhanced the amount of rodents they take.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:17 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
BA has enhanced the amount of rodents they take.
But they will be appearing on the BoB menu soon!

M
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by sxc
And also wouldn't make people faint.
BBQ'd rodent in a confined space. I wouldn't be so sure that it wouldn't cause an awful smell
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
I think on the ATC recording the captain said 11 crew affected ?

Also, I think it was clear he was getting input from BA in the UK about 'prefered options' for landing location, and when he got this, made the decision, he then told ATC what he wanted to do.
Granted I didn't head the ATC recording but according to the media only 2 fainted but more "were affected" and all examined. There were reports of passengers coughing too but this could be a bit panic related too (or not). When we are not there we can only speculate. The OP was there and didn't experience anything abnormal during the flight.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:20 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...c-fume-events/
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently the plane was on its way to SFO and diverted to Calgary.

That article even links to another that gives the correct details. Rather sloppy.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
So after the incident involving XLEB I was on XLEK Wednesday night on the 268 from LAX chatting to the CSD when she was required urgently in the F cabin for report of fumes in that cabin. I was in row 15 and didn't smell anything untoward. The CSD later told me there was an odor in the F cabin and it was being worked by a crew member who was on the diverted flight to YVR.

Thankfully whatever the issue was we had no need to divert and had an unenventful flight to LHR.

Just wondering is there some kind of issue with the A380?

Last edited by Deanog1976; Nov 5, 2016 at 2:21 pm
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
You are correct there was another fumes incident on that flight, our union are very aware of this but BA are saying nothing.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Can I help you
You are correct there was another fumes incident on that flight, our union are very aware of this but BA are saying nothing.
this is all very weird i hope we have more concrete information asap
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The report written by the CSD into this incident now features in today's Sunday Times. That is behind a paywall, but this report in The Australian gives a good summary of this somewhat unusual if troubling event.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...39c83a42130231
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The report written by the CSD into this incident now features in today's Sunday Times. That is behind a paywall, but this report in The Australian gives a good summary of this somewhat unusual if troubling event.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...39c83a42130231
Sorry, but The Australian article linked is also behind a paywall.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by madfish
Sorry, but The Australian article linked is also behind a paywall.
The trick that sometimes work, and does in this case, is to google the title of the article, in this case: british airways flight crew spaced out on fumes and then click on one of the results. I am reading the Australian using this method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.