Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to New Orleans [service starts Summer 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 20, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ldnn1
After much speculation BA has confirmed the launch of non-stop flights from Heathrow to New Orleans (MSY) from 27 March 2017.

Service will initially run 4x weekly on 3-class 787-8 aircraft:

BA225 LHR 1540 – 1940 MSY 788 Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat
BA224 MSY 2120 – 1200+1 LHR 788 Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat

Lounge arrangements (if any) at MSY are yet to be confirmed.
Print Wikipost

BA to New Orleans [service starts Summer 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm just looking at MSY flights for about six weeks time - guess its extremely unlikely this will be up and running before then?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by madfish
Before anybody gets excited... what's the lounge situation at MSY?
Terrible. Delta has the only lounge. (When I lived in New Orleans the rumours were that the DL lounge at MSY was the most expensive lounge to operate in DL's network, due to the usual graft related to doing business with any kind of government entity in Louisiana.)
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Godot
Would definitely be interested in this one as a leisure traveller. New Orleans to Nashville is one of those road trips I've always thought could be a great adventure.
So many great road trips to be had from New Orleans. For me, as a music (esp blues and soul) fan, child of the Gemini/Apollo era, military history buff and food aficionado, a New Orleans-Houston-Memphis-Mississippi delta-Vicksburg-New Orleans round trip was the closest to paradise I’ve ever experienced. Kind of hit every note.

But whatever your interests are, it's a great starting place for a great trip.

Do take your time and do take the back roads (I had to, since I was looking for Robert Johnson’s grave(s) ).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Well, it's about time someone started a link between the world's two greatest cities

Although I studied in Louisiana, and would love to see this work - surely this is a leisure route - so ex-LGW?
It's a route that would need strong connections at the London end, so I would say LHR more likely (but wouldn't bet my house on that).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, NEXUS/GE
surely this is a leisure route - so ex-LGW?
There's plenty of oil and gas industry in southern Louisiana, although this isn't as lucrative as it used to be.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chapdoc1
I'm just looking at MSY flights for about six weeks time - guess its extremely unlikely this will be up and running before then?
Austin started about six months after announcement and I would expect this to be similar, assuming it all comes off - but perhaps they'll try to get some flights in before Mardi Gras.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by PeaSouper
There's plenty of oil and gas industry in southern Louisiana, although this isn't as lucrative as it used to be.
Ah fair enough, I can't profess to be informed in oil & gas - I thought most of the offices were in Lake Charles, Gulfport etc which all have airports and connections from HOU/ATL etc

I've road tripped North, West & East - i'd tend to leave New Orleans to the end - still the only place i've got alcohol poisoning after a 36 hour pub crawl
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
I was in MSY at the end of August with AA and it was the worst terminal of my entire trip (which covered 7 different airports). No lounge, no Starbucks, and I could either have a plug socket, or wifi, but couldn't find any plug sockets in the wifi zone...

Assuming BA would use the same terminal, I definitely wouldn't recommend making the trip based on the airport and lounge provision alone!
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:20 am

Lots of high brow conference traffic too...
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There has also been much discussion recently of a new terminal being built as MSY, though unclear if that will really happen or not. The city used to be a relatively large international gateway, though mostly to LatAm areas. It is just big enough to pull a long-haul or two when the economy is right and this is the type of route the 787 was made for. But that doesn't guarantee it'll succeed.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 6:49 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by sbm12
There has also been much discussion recently of a new terminal being built as MSY, though unclear if that will really happen or not. The city used to be a relatively large international gateway, though mostly to LatAm areas. It is just big enough to pull a long-haul or two when the economy is right and this is the type of route the 787 was made for. But that doesn't guarantee it'll succeed.
It's already under construction:
http://www.flymsy.com/Images/Interio...d%20update.pdf
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:19 am
SK

Arrow

If the New Orleans service is resumed, it could be LGW again, but maybe LHR would be better for higher yields.
By the way, the LGW-MSY service (continuing to MEX) was operated for a couple of years only with the L-1011, before being cut by the spring of 1983.
Although I studied in Louisiana, and would love to see this work - surely this is a leisure route - so ex-LGW?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't know why everyone on here is so bothered about lounge access when BA have made it abundantly clear that lounges at new cities are only considered after receiving many, many, many complaints!

Joking aside, I thought MSY was ok. Easy bus into the city, no overcrowding, and I personally had very friendly and helpful AA staff at check in. The lack of AA lounge was a bit of a downer, but plenty of larger stations don't (e.g. MSP). And the city itself was brilliant! I'm glad I went.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
This is FANTASTIC news. Especially given I need to head to MSY early next year.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Deltus
I was in MSY at the end of August with AA and it was the worst terminal of my entire trip (which covered 7 different airports). No lounge, no Starbucks, and I could either have a plug socket, or wifi, but couldn't find any plug sockets in the wifi zone...

Assuming BA would use the same terminal, I definitely wouldn't recommend making the trip based on the airport and lounge provision alone!
I was in MSY at the same time and I found the airport a bit grim to be honest. I arrived from MIA with AA and despite the airport seemingly functional, it was somewhere you wouldn't wish to be hanging around for too long.

The city however, was well worth visiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.