Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Aus_Mal
This thread is for opinions on the concept of Buy on Board, concerned with the rights or wrongs of the decision to introduce it.

An information thread exists for your questions, particularly if they are on factual matters, here:
Buy on board: Information guide for BA shorthaul economy services

There is a separate thread for experiences, anecdotes, reactions and related comments, which is to be found here:
Buy on board: Experiences and reactions from BA's shorthaul economy services

Useful sub-links
chongcao posted a comparison of other oneworld airlines' BOB prices

Not happy about these changes?
If you have an existing booking, you may be able to complain and get 1000 Avios or cancel for free until 28 days before departure. BA's complaint form.

However, in November 2016, phone calls to BA indicated that "no refunds would be given as food & drinks were complimentary and not part of the T&C."
Print Wikipost

Buy on board: Implemented on BA short haul - opinions on the concept

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
Heck even AY operated by Nordic Regional gives me complimentary coffee on the 25min HEL-TKU run.
Even Quik Fit gives me free tea while I'm waiting for by brakes to be checked - and they don't sell themselves as a premium customer experience!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Well I've just had to book a GVA-LHR-GVA at the beginning of March. LX was cheaper and I'll get a sandwich and a drink (they usually even give you two drinks if you ask). BA was a little pricier and I get nothing on board.
Guess where I booked.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Well obviously, me too. I would choose SWISS any time over BA, except during the period about 10 years ago when SWISS went BoB and BA was the opposite. At the moment, I need to fly specifically to Gatwick (which SWISS also flies to at the weekends) and I have chosen a mixture of easyJet and Monarch Airlines.

For my next trip, easyJet was CHF37 for GVA-LGW and Monarch Airlines was GBP38 for LGW-GVA. Granted, they're BoB too, but why should I pay almost twice that for BA? By the way, if you prepay your onboard spending with easyJet you get a 20% discount !
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Even Quik Fit gives me free tea while I'm waiting for by brakes to be checked - and they don't sell themselves as a premium customer experience!

The last two times I have had to get a flight from Istanbul and the weather has put the ferries out of action, I have taken the coach for a sum of TL40 (around £10) and received teas, coffees, juice, water & cake included in the price (as well free seat selection).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by orbitmic
At this stage, however, you should assume that the policy is here to stay (>90% chance) and make your flight purchase decisions accordingly.
I've purchased a ticket on an Orange plane for my next flights. Cityjet were great a few weeks ago and I'm discovering there is life after BA! My Qatar flights and 4 revenue BA legs this year means I'll renew silver again but let's see about what happens after that.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Zero. This belongs in the Opinions thread really, but from what I can tell there won't be any return to the old system. Clearly if the key routes haemorrhage trade to competitors there will be some sort of rethink, and in any case the policy is bound to evolve, as these things rightly should, and the menu will change quarterly. But I can't see a reverse back to the previous system.

I have now done 8 trips under BoB. one was bad, reported up thread, one had a few issues, also up thread, but 6 went reasonably well and everyone had an opportunity to buy on board. I've not been through manual processing yet, though 1 of the 6 flights only one PoS worked. All flights have been fully catered.
Is that the official line from BA?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), SAS Diamond (*G)
If it's really here to stay, and the densification of short haul is going to make the legroom even worse, then I guess I'm finished flying BA for the time being.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Is that the official line from BA?
It's my personal take on the matter, knowing how these things tend to work out. I haven't discussed this with BA management in the last week but I'd be surprised if they hold a different view at this stage. They endured a bigger rollercoaster when FLY went through.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
To be fair to BA I don't think they are marketing themselves as premium any more. The days of advertising with flight and cabin crew serving free food and drink to the residents of Sydney Harbour with a tag line of 'Upgrade to British Airways' are long gone.

Last edited by Robespierre; Jan 17, 2017 at 3:49 am Reason: To avoid turning the thread into another F bashing one
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They endured a bigger rollercoaster when FLY went through.
I'm not completely sure I agree with you there. FLY was (in theory) only ever a temporary blip and then back to business as usual as far as 95% of passengers are concerned. BoB is a total change in experience for the majority of passengers flying BA and could influence long term habits. Time will tell.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:48 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
I've purchased a ticket on an Orange plane for my next flights. Cityjet were great a few weeks ago and I'm discovering there is life after BA! My Qatar flights and 4 revenue BA legs this year means I'll renew silver again but let's see about what happens after that.
And I purchased a ticket on a white plane with a dark blue tail and yellow circle
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by catandmouse
Well I've just had to book a GVA-LHR-GVA at the beginning of March. LX was cheaper and I'll get a sandwich and a drink (they usually even give you two drinks if you ask). BA was a little pricier and I get nothing on board.
Guess where I booked.
You'd have been utterly daft not to

The interesting question to have have asked would have been how much more would you have been willing to pay for LX over BA because of the free sandwich and drink.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by vibguy
The implementation of this greedy concept is a disgrace for BA management.
This is a nightmare for BA CC and for pax who risk having no drink and no food on flights of up to 5 hours duration. People should be warned by BA to bring their own food and drinks on board since BA is unable to guarantee the delivery of food and drinks on board for everyone.
The fact that no coffee or tea is provided for free is shameful.
The fact that the high tier BAEC members do not even get a drink for free shows how little their business is appreciated by BA management.
The tea and coffee that used to be given free was pretty dire. I'd far rather pay for a decent cup on board if I was unable to visit a lounge before boarding.
Yes the situation on longer flights where passengers have been unable to purchase anything is poor however c-w-s experiences of buy on board tend to be on the positive side.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
The tea and coffee that used to be given free was pretty dire. I'd far rather pay for a decent cup on board if I was unable to visit a lounge before boarding.

Others might well share your view ; assuming the tea was indeed 'decent'

But OTOH I doubt too many folk would be especially enthusiastic about shelling out on a cup of tea as served up to an unhappy poster, and which was described in his BoB report the other day as 'just past lukewarm'.

He/she was seated in row 14 and immediately behind 12 rows of CE. Not sure what the tea would have been like by row 20 .......

Last edited by subject2load; Jan 17, 2017 at 7:05 am
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by subject2load
But OTOH I doubt too many folk would be especially enthusiastic about shelling out on a cup of tea as served up to an unhappy poster, and which was described in his BoB report the other day as 'just past lukewarm'.

He/she was seated in row 12, and immediately behind 12 rows of CE. Not sure what the tea would have been like by row 20 .......
That was an occasional risk under the old system too. On the Experiences thread I gave an example of being in row 23 and getting a cup of coffee too hot to drink, at least initially. My other teas and coffees have been acceptable temperature, one perhaps a bit cooler than I would like. I don't really think that's changed under this system once the crew get up to speed.

The coffee has to be seen as an improvement, the previous blend really wasn't good, almost anything would have been an improvement unless you like really weak coffee. The tea situation is more complex: the urn tea done by BA was surprisingly good given that the water could never be boiled (and still can't), but you'd be lucky to get more than 180 mls of it. The new cups have, if filled, 350 mls, in practice the crew seem to fill to around 300 mls (old habits die hard!). There is one tea bag for that, a Twinings, as before, so the upside is a decent sized portion of tea, and being able to regulate the strength to personal taste. The downside is having a teabag to deal with (though the plastic beaker is helpful), and for those who like really strong tea the single bag perhaps won't be enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.