Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Just booked a last minute trip to Amsterdam departing in about 6 hours, on LX. Unceremoniously dumped into 38D as the last/only seat available in the Y cabin - and this is as a M&M SEN (*G) passenger.

Just goes to show that this is in area that (in my opinion) beats the competition.
Lufthansa also has TS, for rather longer than BA, in fact they have a more complex and arguably more sophisticated version. Also you may get moved forward at the gate. However it does work off different timelines to BA, hence this sort of result. That said, on a full flight under 24 hours to departure. TS isn't a total guarantee with BA, it's just a bit more likely you would have an aisle/window choice nearer the front.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Trying to understand seat blocking

We have recently booked a return to BUD for November, as redemptions, in ET. We have selected the same seats both ways, 9A/B, with me in B. Checking EF (with my status deleted), and making a dummy booking (as a guest), shows 9C blocked on the return leg but available on the outbound leg. I am not overly bothered about someone taking the seat, just trying to understand the gold seat blocking theory.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
We have recently booked a return to BUD for November, as redemptions, in ET. We have selected the same seats both ways, 9A/B, with me in B. Checking EF (with my status deleted), and making a dummy booking (as a guest), shows 9C blocked on the return leg but available on the outbound leg. I am not overly bothered about someone taking the seat, just trying to understand the gold seat blocking theory.
That's far too far out for Theoretical Seating to be at play - it only kicks in at T-72. Something else is at play here.

(I have the vaguest recollection that Row 9 might get seats blocked as somewhere cabin crew stand on some A32x variants, but it's hazy - and expert will be along soon no doubt!)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As mentioned in the wiki, this isn't to do with Theoretical Seating, this is the logic of Amadeus Seating, which isn't as developed as Theoretical Seating though there are some elements such as keeping rows of seats back for certain status levels. TS applies only in the last 72 hours. You could be looking at a block there in AS but equally it's possible there is some unconfirmed booking taking that seat.

The D seat is often blocked for crew seats on some shorthaul sectors.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Ok, thanks, I get the T-72 logic so should not have brought status into the equation. But there is clearly some blocking going on at this stage which I was just trying to understand. It is difficult to tell for the uninitiated, as the website just shows seats as unavailable, whereas EF differentiates between blocked and occupied.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If the entire Row 9 is blocked then the curtain between CE and ET was moved and Row 9 was blocked for pre-assignments as one of the front ET rows. This is something that often happens on my KBP flights.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:53 am

This has to be my favourite TS quirk so far. Someone's sat in 18J ... so TS has blocked out every seat in that row except the one he'd probably really appreciate - 18K.

Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Another F data point

This is the seat map for a flight in 36 hours. In MMB I can select that blocked seat.

Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
So TS has kicked in for my flight on Saturday - I can't grab 64K. I called BA and they said AA own it so they won't move me... I read somewhere that you can move it on Qantas or RJ ? Qantas showing it unavailable - RJ I can't work out how to do seat moves !! Any top tips ? Currently in 61A which is OK but I do want my favourite
Old Sep 3, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I picked an empty row near the back of the plane and ended up with a possibly statusless couple next to me and the rows in front and across empty.

Updated: seems that any row I choose that still has an empty middle the day of the flight, will be the only surrounding row where the middle is now occupied.
100% of all my flights in the last few weeks.

Last edited by xenole; Sep 5, 2018 at 10:03 am
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
CE row 1, FLY, and Gold Blocks

Hi,

Does anyone know how this works? My (seemingly false) understanding was that, post-FLY, only Golds could select row 1 at any time, the seats of which showed as 'blocked' in Expertflyer. As such, when a row 1 seat next to me happened to be free, it was not blocked 'for me', but rather merely blocked by default, as no Gold had selected it.

For example, here is tonight's BA 444:

Which tends to meet my theory - otherwise surely some non-Golds would have moved there?

However, a friend going to Munich today pointed out how 1DF was not blocked, yet the 1A was blocked 'for him':

Can anyone explain how this works?

Thanks.

Last edited by ba_cityflyer; Sep 5, 2018 at 8:22 am Reason: Fix embedded images
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Have you / has your friend told Expertflyer your status level on BA?

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to remember that you can set this which may mean that you and your friend are seeing two different results?

Last edited by ThatT1Feeling; Sep 5, 2018 at 8:27 am Reason: Issue fixed
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Could it be that because the flight is within airport check in time, Expert Flyer are just showing the last known map?
Not all Golds like Row 1 btw.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Also FLY is a bit more intelligent. In your example there could be that a couple has a reservation (not not checked in yet) so FLY can only give them row 1 as all the other rows just one seats available. FLY not black and white and doesn’t always block the seats next to a gold or silver if let say the flight is fully sold out. During t-24 as people check in the seat map changes all the time.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Only GCHs can select Row 1 at any time but anyone can select these seats at T-72, if they are released. Seats are released continuously as check-in progresses. Sometimes the seat next to a GCH will be blocked (in all cabins).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.