Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Self Entitled Passenger in seat 29A

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
So after you asked them not to use that route to access their seat, they stopped using it. Why the need for a thread about it or call them 'self entitled'?

The space you're talking about is beside your seat and directly in front of theirs, and I think 29A/K is (or was) also classified as an exit row and costs the same to book as you paid, so the passenger probably also feels entitled to that space in front of their seat just as you feel entitled to it being beside yours.
The reason I called them self entitled is that after I asked them they said the WOULD still be doing it and would still be walking over me to get out. I then told him that no he would not and that he was to use his own row. I then assume the CC told him the same as he stopped.

Yes I agree his seat is an exit and he has paid for the space in front, this is not the issue. His space is blocked by the aircraft door with a small gap between it and my seat. Which in this case was not large enough for this passenger to get through without constantly knocking me and on one occasion poking me until i woke up and moved to let him in.

I have also said I did not put anything in the space beside my chair due to him being entitled to use it. Had the door not blocked his entrance and exit he could have used it freely all flight.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum allymc316. Thank you for joining up here, and I very much hope we will see more from you. Just to help those unaware of the WT layout there, here is the relevant seat map:

I am hoping that after discussion with the cabin crew, your near neighbour was invited to use their own row for exit. One tactic is to scatter some possessions or bags along your side of the seat to make it tricky for people to clamber over into your row. I guess the other argument is that it is shared space on public transport, no one "owns" anything here. Well, apart, ideally, from a bit of commonsense and mutual respect, but that's often in short supply.

Anyway I needed to put that map since this forum is extremely good at illustrating how to sit a little further forward on the aircraft. Quite a number of experienced travellers here wouldn't have a clue about this, and so if you stick around here long enough you need never encounter this problem again!
And to add to this, here's a photo taken from 29k in February. You cannot see row 28 but get an idea of the space in front and the impact of the door.
Attached Images  

Last edited by madfish; Aug 30, 2016 at 10:52 am
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by madfish
And to add to this, here's a photo taken from 29k in February. You cannot see row 28 but get an idea of the space in front and the impact of the door.
Lost link?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by antichef
Lost link?
Should be there now.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:15 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
The photo seems to confirm that it should be fairly easy for a careful person to get out without disturbing row 28. If the man couldn't do so, when asked not to, he should have complied without being rude about it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'd have thought that the polite thing for him would have been to disturb all passengers around him equally by distributing the pain, unless he could get out through the side of 28B without disturbing 28B.
You said it in the first sentence. Good manners is about considering other people. So many people these consider themselves only.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:37 am

I think it would be strange for someone in 29A to disturb two other passengers when they need to get out of their seat when there is egress that involves a much smaller disturbance to one.

My sympathies lie with the 29A passenger and not with the OP, I'm sorry to say -as long as 29A doesn't push/pull the seat etc.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA G; AY Basic; HHonors G; Marriott S
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You said it in the first sentence. Good manners is about considering other people. So many people these consider themselves only.
Was last week in 29K - (64K of WT as stated earlier ) - you would not remotely want to exit via row 29 but climb over row 28. It is easy if you are a "regular" -sized person. There is no movable armrest in row 29 and if 28 has reclined you end up disturbing 4 people.

So carefully climbing over the "do not sit here door" and not touching 28 is really best practise.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC / Hilton Honors / Accor
I've had 29K on a mid J 747, IMO unless the passenger in 29A was a big fat guy or just particularly clumsy, there is more than enough room even with the protruding door for someone to exit 29 A/K without causing much if any disturbance to passengers in row 28.

If I remember correctly there is a decent amount of space between row 28 and the bulkhead wall / crew seat. Although I can see how someone getting up every 10 minutes would become annoying.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Bang on PUCCI, I have sat in both seats with no trouble and both I and the pax behind have used the "straight ahead" route without disturbance. An ill mannered passenger blundering out of 29A would be a different matter entirely.

Sigh! why is society so dogged with rude and unsympathetic people?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:48 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I have been in this situation on an LHR-HKG where I was the 'offender', despite neither touching or disturbing the 'lovely' lady in 28B. Wasn't too long after take-off and had to go to the toilet. 28B & C very quickly after departure (wheels up type of thing) reclined their seats (which I have no problem with) and proceeded to view their IFE. As many who travel in WT know, once a pax in front has reclined, there ain't much room between the seat in front and the two pax in the seats behind. As a thought of consideration and to minimise disturbance, I exited through the gap. At the time I wasn't at my slimmest but I neither touched or encroached on 28B as found ample space to get out.

As I got in front of her, I received what I can only describe as an unpleasant, one way interaction from said 'lovely' lady. "This isn't your space to walk in and out of. Use your own row!!!'. Trying to explain that it would be less disturbing than trying to contort myself along row 29 without disturbing her when her seat was fully reclined fell on deaf ears and she just repeated her previous statement. I went to the toilet and as returning, stood in the galley for a few minutes as the crew were in the aisles. The purser (who was a lovely woman) engaged in conversation with me (knew my seat number and recognised as Silver) and asked if everything was okay so far. I mentioned the seat exiting issue (pax 28B's, not mine) and the purser's retort was, "if she gives you any bother my luv, just come and see me', with a big smile on her face. Went back to my seat via row 29 and had a little pleasure in squeezing back in .

Now, in no way do I feel self-entitled but the way I saw it was that I was trying to minimise disturbance for 4 other passengers. As it happens the three of four other times I had to get up during the long flight, 28B knew about it (and I wasn't doing it out of badness).

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by allymc316
The reason I called them self entitled is that after I asked them they said the WOULD still be doing it and would still be walking over me to get out. I then told him that no he would not and that he was to use his own row. I then assume the CC told him the same as he stopped.

Yes I agree his seat is an exit and he has paid for the space in front, this is not the issue. His space is blocked by the aircraft door with a small gap between it and my seat. Which in this case was not large enough for this passenger to get through without constantly knocking me and on one occasion poking me until i woke up and moved to let him in.

I have also said I did not put anything in the space beside my chair due to him being entitled to use it. Had the door not blocked his entrance and exit he could have used it freely all flight.
To be honest, to me it is you coming across rather as the entitled one here. From experience, and it seems most other posters occur, when sitting in this seat or one like it, I think most people assume the logical way to exit is to use the row in front, which necessitates exactly nobody else having to leave their seat.

It is a route, and actually more logical route, just as much as using his row, and indeed he has paid for that space in front of him. Now if he was a bit clumsy then yes maybe that necessitates a word, but really, if you told him he couldn't exit that way, he was entitled to say that he would be, you have no righ tto stop him I'm afraid. It's no different to someone in his own row saying they won't let him exit.

I've also been in the row in front and would find it ridiculous for the person behind me to make his companions get up when there is a route out that allows everyone to stay seated.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by nallison
To be honest, to me it is you coming across rather as the entitled one here. From experience, and it seems most other posters occur, when sitting in this seat or one like it, I think most people assume the logical way to exit is to use the row in front, which necessitates exactly nobody else having to leave their seat.

It is a route, and actually more logical route, just as much as using his row, and indeed he has paid for that space in front of him. Now if he was a bit clumsy then yes maybe that necessitates a word, but really, if you told him he couldn't exit that way, he was entitled to say that he would be, you have no righ tto stop him I'm afraid. It's no different to someone in his own row saying they won't let him exit.

I've also been in the row in front and would find it ridiculous for the person behind me to make his companions get up when there is a route out that allows everyone to stay seated.
I tend to agree. There is certainly nothing suggesting that it would be more "logical" or fitting in going over row 29 than over row 28 when you seat in 29A/K. Whether window seat people (and I am typically one) have a "right" to pass or not is of course an open question, but it is hardly a form of arrogance to want to go to the bathroom, and whilst you want to be a bit polite and apologetic in asking, I would have been quite miffed and a bit annoyed by the OP's answer.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
I've deliberately booked 29K on a number of trips, in the knowledge that I can easily get in/out without disturbing people in either rows 28 or 29. I'm not especially agile, but it's really not that tricky and I've never had a problem.

Question - is 29A an exact mirror-image of 29K, or is there a bit less room for any reason?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: BA GfL, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I always sit in 29A/K on this type of configuration and always exit frontwards.

As has been mentioned, the armrest is immovable so particularly difficult to exit sideways in row 29. In addition, the space in front of 29K belongs to 29K and not 28J. If there was a seat in 28K then the room under that seat would be for 29K's feet so if 28J puts things on the floor with me in 29K I either ask them to move the stuff or it just gets stood on when I get up.

28B/28J if in a normal row of 3 seats would not use the space if 28A/K was occupied so really can't see why OP is complaining.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.