Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA should enhance its E-TICKET delivery by sending PDFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA should enhance its E-TICKET delivery by sending PDFs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I do not want these PDFs cluttering my machine - I have them from other carriers and really do not care for them. The email is far too long I agree - but why on earth do you need to print it if you are not claiming expenses and if you do there is absolutely no need to print the lot - grief if I can do that anyine can.

I do prefer a paper BP to the phone which I'm always afraid of dropping but that's just my personal choice.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:00 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_pig
Not sure what sort of visas and passport you travel on, but off the top of my head I can think of around 10+ African and Asian countries where I wouldn't have made it through immigration without a printout (particularly when needing a visa on arrival). Good luck telling the oh-so-nice officers that "it's an e-ticket"...
I am sure we can all think of a few specific countries who do need a paper version, that doesn't mean simons1 is wrong. simons1 has provided a list of the countries he has experience of in post #72 so he seems to have survived passing through without a paper e-ticket for those ones. His experiences are just as valid as yours.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
simons1 has provided a list of the countries he has experience of in post #72 so he seems to have survived passing through without a paper e-ticket for those ones. His experiences are just as valid as yours.
Originally Posted by simons1
Urban myth really. I visited 12 African countries last year and never needed anything printed out (I don't carry any paper copies). In fact I can't remember anywhere even asking for sight of a ticket.
The world may be diverse but everywhere has moved on.
I am sure his experiences are valid. On the other hand, I think his initial remark stating that the need for printouts is a "urban myth" and "everywhere has moved on" is not valid at all... That is a rather gross generalisation, which I was responding to. It also seems that he was focusing on access to the terminal, whereas I think it must be remembered that many of us need the printouts for immigration procedures. Again, we are back to the point that different passengers have different requirements.

As others, I felt that criticising the OP because he/she wants/needs to print their itineraries was a bit narrow-minded (one of the common themes of this thread seemed along the lines of "why on heart would you print itineraries").

I remain of the opinion that the OP has a valid point. BA provides no way of printing a concise 1-page itinerary. It would be great, and in line with common practice in the industry, to have this at least as an option (for example through MMB).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Urban myth really. I visited 12 African countries last year and never needed anything printed out (I don't carry any paper copies). In fact I can't remember anywhere even asking for sight of a ticket.

The world may be diverse but everywhere has moved on.
You call a situation an urban myth because you have never experienced it yourself?? That's ridiculous
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:47 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Why not just print out from somewhere less verbose than BA? e.g. myflights or checkmytrip?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by dsf
Why not just print out from somewhere less verbose than BA? e.g. myflights or checkmytrip?
Those won't suffice for my expenses.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As long as I have a note of the PNR I don't bother printing pages and pages of stuff I don't need. And I just get the airline to print my boarding pass for me. I do appreciate some airlines actually charge you extra for carrying out such a service.
"I don't need it, therefore it is useless."
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:00 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I've moaned on here in the past about having to print out four pages for my expenses, when all the necessary info would easily fit on a page.

And as for not even getting the t&cs in all that puff - well you couldn't make it up.

But at least two times that I recall, someone from BA has posted to say the receipts are being redesigned to be printer friendly. That was ages ago but it doesn't seem to have happened.

I think the PDF part of the OP's request is irrelevant. It's the content and layout that's the problem, not the file format.
Yes, I remember those threads and the assurances that it would improve. Guess the priority list with this item on it is lost under a large pile of printed e-ticket receipts somewhere...

Agree with you entirely about the content/layout being the issue. People can of course change their printer settings to print less pages (as i do when I have to print), but honestly, why should they have to? Paragraphs of text are spent in the "e-ticket" telling you about things you could/should do on ba.com. Fine to have all this in an email, but sensible to separate it from the e-ticket, which could be a PDF.

Maybe they'll get round to it one day.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:24 am

I was trying to find those threads but not turning up much.

I then checked my PMs and I have one from Feb 8th this year, from ba.com.official stating (among other things) "A redesigned one page format will be available shortly."

I wonder what happened to that?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Those won't suffice for my expenses.
Print to PDF, thus not having to use paper?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I was trying to find those threads but not turning up much.

I then checked my PMs and I have one from Feb 8th this year, from ba.com.official stating (among other things) "A redesigned one page format will be available shortly."

I wonder what happened to that?
I'm no jerry a.laska but with a little help from Google I managed to find this from Sept 2015, which is the one that I recall.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25499053-post15.html
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:57 am

Yes, I do print to PDF. And remove (or rather don't print) the two unnecessary pages out of the six. In fact I'm a complete non-paper user where possible (and in countries where I've been asked for paper copies of tickets etc I've never had a problem explaining I don't have one and proffering an electronic copy instead. Not that I'm saying it never causes problems for others, of course).

But I know the accounts department of my client prints paper copies of everything for their archives, and have commented that BA receipts are a PITA in this regard. They're not interested in how I might request a special meal, or what to do when I get to the airport etc. And frankly, nor am I. I just want the details of my flight confirmed.

I also had to explain why a middle page was missing when I first submitted a receipt this way. It really shouldn't be necessary.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:12 am

A lot of mix-n-match here. A bunch of airlines (using Amadeus) is sending a one-pager PDF which is a copy on the eticket, inlucing ticket-number, booking class, vat-umber, breakdown of taxes and overview of itinerary. This is fairly standard and complies with a bunch of countries requirements for accounting/expenses legislation. Should not be a problem producing that as an attachment to the email. +1 from me to get that

On a side note: An eTicket is an eTicket regardless if it is printed or not, it is stored in Amadeus as a ticketnumber. You will rarely see an airline-ticket that is not an eticket these days. A non eticket is a ticket where the paper you are getting holds a value (like a check) and if lost, all is gone. (Remember back in those days with ticket-coupons you had to hand in at the gate etc?)
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by flying_pig
Not sure what sort of visas and passport you travel on, but off the top of my head I can think of around 10+ African and Asian countries where I wouldn't have made it through immigration without a printout (particularly when needing a visa on arrival). Good luck telling the oh-so-nice officers that "it's an e-ticket"...
British passport and countries as already listed.

The only time I have ever provided a travel ticket was in that short period where Kenya required an evisa before it was all abandoned.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:48 am

In my experience, there are plenty of places that request a piece of paper, and anyone producing it may walk away thinking "Thank goodness I had that on me". Yet if you say "I don't have a paper copy" there has always been an acceptable alternative, albeit at times taking a little longer.

Of course, I'm not saying it works everywhere, just has always worked for me.

Same as not carrying my gold card. Everytime I've been asked to show the physical card I've always declined and never had a problem finding a workaround. Yet lots of people keep telling me I should carry it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.