Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA should enhance its E-TICKET delivery by sending PDFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA should enhance its E-TICKET delivery by sending PDFs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rickg523
I find it remarkable that such a simple suggestion to improve the BA experience (albeit very slightly) generates so many "blame the passenger" responses. How could you expect a one page printable record of your flight information! Just because other carriers provide it? This is British Airways, not some other carrier! Why would anyone want such a thing? That's a totally unreasonable request!
I also find it remarkable so many are willing to blame the airline for something you don't really need.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:18 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Oddly enough, it was posts like this that gave me the impression this was another case of FlyerTalk posters calling a service complaint a whinge to devalue it and to root for their "team".
"If you want to save paper how come you are printing bps? Surely mobile bps would be better?"
Because every BA customer SHOULD have a smartphone, right?
Why should BA be asked to do what almost every other airline offers, when you, the customer, can just make do?
I think I, and others, were suggesting ways to reduce the OP's printing which was what he/she was trying to achieve. Printing every page of the e-ticket or bps isn't always necessary. Also if saving paper is important why not use mobile bps? Doesn't that seem sensible advice? The OP seems to have a smart phone.

I am still not clear where anyone blamed the OP or said it was a bad idea though about a one page e-ticket? I don't remember saying it was a bad idea anywhere. In fact if you read post #22 I said the OP's idea would be ideal, but until BA do so I was providing some suggestions to reduce printing.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lefly
Just for info, my belgian provider charges also for received sms when out of europe. Maybe some other provider does the same...?
That's the first I've ever heard of that - and I used to work for a messaging delivery firm. The reasoning being that you can't choose not to receive SMS messages
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
That's the first I've ever heard of that - and I used to work for a messaging delivery firm. The reasoning being that you can't choose not to receive SMS messages
It really depends on where you are in the world. AT&T still charge $0.20 to receive an SMS and in the US you do still pay to receive calls (unless on an unlimited plan).

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wire...ntMsgPicVidMsg

Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:41 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I agree that it would be useful for BA to provide a simple PDF of an itinerary with the PNR, ticket number and fare details.

Two cases where I've needed a printed itinerary are to reclaim HKG departure tax on same day transit with separate tickets, and, when on a one-way ticket, to convince check-in agents that I would be departing my destination country later.

I don't print my bookings unless I think it will be necessary. But when I do think I will need a printout, I usually use a lounge printer... (it's only 4 pages, not a whole thesis )

Don't North American providers charge for receiving SMSes? Does it costs more to receive them when roaming?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:47 pm

Well I stand corrected indeed!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With every UK network, it's always free to receive a text. It's not like you can decline a text.

It might cost you something to send a text, but that's a different kettle of fish.

The US network providers are positively backwards compared to anything we have in Europe.

I do enjoy my free international data roaming when I'm over there

Quite how you can charge someone for something they have no option but to receive is beyond me.

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 24, 2016 at 2:20 pm Reason: Apparently wrong
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
With every UK network, it's always free to receive a text. It's not like you can decline a text.

It might cost you something to send a text, but that's a different kettle of fish.
You may want to read back, I said that on the previous page and have been proved wrong
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may want to read back, I said that on the previous page and have been proved wrong
But they are non-UK networks? If not, I am happy not to do business with them.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:09 pm

Oddly enough, it was posts like this that gave me the impression this was another case of FlyerTalk posters calling a service complaint a whinge to devalue it and to root for their "team".
"If you want to save paper how come you are printing bps? Surely mobile bps would be better?"
Because every BA customer SHOULD have a smartphone, right?
Why should BA be asked to do what almost every other airline offers, when you, the customer, can just make do?
Make do? You have plenty of choices. Get a BP at the airport. Download BP to a phone. Check in online and print off BP. Print off the pages of the eticket you need.

I just don't get how it is so hard.

BTW I have never been in a country where I have been charged for inward SMS either. I can see some examples above but not sure what that has to do with British Airways.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:16 pm

But what about expense reports? I have to submit four pages with the necessary information spread across all four, when other airlines manage to put it on one.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:19 pm

PDF is a recognised format for delivery of information. There is nothing stopping BA from having their usual rubbish email with all pertinent information (and ps, you can't just print 'some' of the email eg Page 2 while still retaining legibility) and attaching a PDF as well.

I find the usual 'blame the poster' responses rubbish. BA are not good at this facet of their service delivery (and tbh, not good at many of their service delivery facets), and really should improve.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
But what about expense reports? I have to submit four pages with the necessary information spread across all four, when other airlines manage to put it on one.
Not ideal but it isn't the end of the world.

When compared to the persistent problems with FLY I doubt this is very far up the BA list of changes right now....
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think I, and others, were suggesting ways to reduce the OP's printing which was what he/she was trying to achieve. Printing every page of the e-ticket or bps isn't always necessary. Also if saving paper is important why not use mobile bps? Doesn't that seem sensible advice? The OP seems to have a smart phone.

I am still not clear where anyone blamed the OP or said it was a bad idea though about a one page e-ticket? I don't remember saying it was a bad idea anywhere. In fact if you read post #22 I said the OP's idea would be ideal, but until BA do so I was providing some suggestions to reduce printing.
Fair enough. Maybe I was reacting to the general defend-BA-at-all-costs theme that's pretty prevalent here. Maybe overreacted in this case to workaround suggestions. Sometimes it's difficult to infer helping from snarking in posts. Sorry if I got that wrong. And very sorry if I snarked back. My bad.
Nonetheless, I think in 2016, wondering why a major airline doesn't offer this simple technology is totally appropriate.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas

The US network providers are positively backwards compared to anything we have in Europe.

I do enjoy my free international data roaming when I'm over there

Quite how you can charge someone for something they have no option but to receive is beyond me.
One word - T-Mobile.
Data free, text free, all over the world. Voice for 2 cents a minute in Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.