Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Lounge entry at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by amt
There is no AC at SEA...

There’s no lounge for Oneworld Emerald or Saphire passengers with either lounge access privileges or non-AA passengers connecting to international/transcon F/J class.
Yes I was talking about PHL
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
i was in more AA clubs this week than i care to count. Only 1 or two gave me vouchers ( paper tickets ) but almost all said "for premium drinks the bar staff will scan your boarding pass" which they did.

and i always tip a dollar a drink.

PS first time in the Miami Flagship and i thought it was excellent and better than LAX and JFK.
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: BA Exec - Gold
Surly PHL Lounge Dragon

Gold card holder travelling PHL to MAN on AA tonight.... tried to access the BA lounge only to be sent packing by a very surly and rude lounge dragon (a guy).

Understand that I wasn’t flying BA metal, but the manner of refusal, was very poor, as was the reasoning that it was ‘full’. As I can see through the windows there was literally about four people in the entire lounge (I was connecting and so was about four hours early).

Anyone else experienced similar?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you search before starting a new thread you will find some number of other threads with the same report.

The issue is not how many people are in the lounge at the instant you arrive, but BA's knowledge of its loads. When it knows that the lounge will be over-crowded, it does not admit passengers on other carriers.

You may join the chorus in complaining to BA if you wish.
Stormbel likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The issue is not how many people are in the lounge at the instant you arrive, but BA's knowledge of its loads. When it knows that the lounge will be over-crowded, it does not admit passengers on other carriers.
That is fair but the receptionist's poor attitude is not. BA should absolutely be made aware of this via online complaints. Even if no corrective action is immediately taken, it is good to have a record of the problem.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
PHL is probably the rudest and most abrasive city in the United States. Even more than New York. The airport has for decades been employer to some of the worst of Philadelphia’s residents. I grew up there and it was a constant source of complaint and discussion.
smitty06 and MEABFlyer like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by feedthegoat
We used to get a lot more complaints about this in the past since this is one of the few BA Lounges in the same building as significant AA operations. However these complaints have somewhat died away as AA improved their own lounge offering, so it is difficult to argue that the approach is wrong: The lounge will get fairly full in the 2 hours before the BA departures, it's not the biggest of places, there are several alternative provisions. And while I wouldn't justify any rudeness from the agent, nevertheless I think it's fair that if you were looking for obsequious exquisitely charming customer service, it's probably best not to start in the City of Brotherly Love.
watersign and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound
PHL is probably the rudest and most abrasive city in the United States. Even more than New York. The airport has for decades been employer to some of the worst of Philadelphia’s residents. I grew up there and it was a constant source of complaint and discussion.
Oh rubbish. I grew up there as well and still go back often to see family and watch the birds play. My wife loves it there, the people are open and honest. This myth about the Eagles fans being the worst in the NFL is overstated as well.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, FB Gold
agree - PHL has been the city where I received the worst customer service in the US, worse than NYC - and that tells you a lot!
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by feedthegoat
Gold card holder travelling PHL to MAN on AA tonight.... tried to access the BA lounge only to be sent packing by a very surly and rude lounge dragon (a guy).

Understand that I wasn’t flying BA metal, but the manner of refusal, was very poor, as was the reasoning that it was ‘full’. As I can see through the windows there was literally about four people in the entire lounge (I was connecting and so was about four hours early).

we had the same surly refusal the other night- we were flying AA on a BA flight number
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MTJ Bound
I agree, although I would consider merely surly to be relatively good customer service at PHL. At least the dragon wasn't shouting expletives at you for asking to enter "his" lounge.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's the US. You're lucky you weren't tasered.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: BA GGL
I had a very similar experience last time passing through PHL, although when i explained my internal AA connection was leaving within 90 minutes i was allowed in. I was the first in the lounge and no one else had entered by the time i left.

I was given the same monologue regarding loads including having the manifest waved in front of me, at least common sense prevailed in the end.

its unfortunate the Admirals Club is so poor in PHL, i guess given AAs dominant position there is no need for a Flagship Lounge there.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’m now a bit worried. In June I will be routing LAS-PHL on AA then PHL-LHR on BA metal but on an AY ticket (all in J). Will I meet with resistance from aforementioned dragon?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by FoxtrotOscar
I’m now a bit worried. In June I will be routing LAS-PHL on AA then PHL-LHR on BA metal but on an AY ticket (all in J). Will I meet with resistance from aforementioned dragon?
Hi,

If you are on BA metal for PHL-LHR you should be ok ( all the rejections being reported seem to be pax on AA metal flights)

Regards

TBS
FoxtrotOscar and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.