Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Lounge entry at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
The BA lounge can get very full when you consider the BA67 is scheduled for Hi J 744 - so that’s 100 seats (14F and 86J) before any status WT+ and WT passengers and guests. Then there will be the QR Premium and status passengers for its 9pm flight. And three days a week some early passengers from BA68 10pm flight could also be in the lounge due to arriving early. I have seen it very crowded especially on the J side of the lounge. If I am flying AA (I am BA GGL) out of PHL I always use the Admirals clubs even when in traveling AA to LHR on a BA code share.
LBP2 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:58 am

Since I am departing on AA flight, I will not have access to the First dining. So are there any other advantages of using the F part of the lounge? Do they have a manned bar or something?

Regarding the «fast track» connection at PHL, that is great news. But I will be travelling with checked in luggage (got a long shopping list from the wife) Can I still use this fast track after I have rechecked the luggage? Or is it only for those doing HBO?
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
Since I am departing on AA flight, I will not have access to the First dining. So are there any other advantages of using the F part of the lounge? Do they have a manned bar or something?

Regarding the «fast track» connection at PHL, that is great news. But I will be travelling with checked in luggage (got a long shopping list from the wife) Can I still use this fast track after I have rechecked the luggage? Or is it only for those doing HBO?
The BA lounge (both sides) have a snack and sandwich style selection and an open self serve bar, which I suspect is behind a lot of these questions frankly. In terms of space, comfort, wifi speed, soft drinks, boring beer etc you're still better of in one of the AA lounges. The "fast track" is a bit of a misnomer - you walk the same route whether HBO or having to recheck. It's just a nicely laid out passageway such that it is slightly less obvious that you are landside (which you are). Everyone can use it, but in the context of the USA, it's one of the quickest ways to get airside again, particularly with Global Entry and then TSA Pre-Check. Other USA airports often involve quite a trek back to airside (e.g. BOS), whereas PHL some thought has been put into making it an efficient route. So in common with other domestic airport services, the thing that makes a difference is GE and PreCheck rather than class of service, HBO or whatever. HBO would save you about 10-15 minutes though, by dint of removing that stage from the process.
TravelManBiz and srcga like this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz

Re the F side of th lounge - no manned bar and all the food and drink is the same except for Champagne in the F section. As I mentioned early I would go to the loung nearest the gate.
I can’t answer your question on Fast Track as I have yet to do a Int connection at PHL.
TravelManBiz likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
and today’s data point - refused entry to the BA lounge, arriving from LHR in Club World and connecting on AA in domestic First; BA Gold

told to go to Admiral’s Club - fine, I don’t mind too much - though when I walked past a couple of hours later at “peak” time the First side of the lounge I would have gone to wasn’t even that full

not really that fussed, but seems strange to enforce such an obviously incorrect approach when (apparently) it isn’t even necessary on all days...

Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by martin102
Having just returned from an AA trip around the USA, I was proactively offered premium drink vouchers in the Admiral Clubs. In fact I had so many at one stage I was giving them away.
As a lowly BAEC Silver I have always been offered 2 comp. superior drinks vouchers in the Admirals Club when travelling on AA domestic in the US.
LBP2 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:34 am

My recent visits to AA Admirals Club lounges in SFO and PHX were underwhelming. Drinks vouchers were strictly rationed to 2 per visit, and guests did not receive any at all (so guests do not have the same lounge benefits). So on our visits my partner and I had one drink each as I guested him in. Pours were not of the long persuasion either.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
My recent visits to AA Admirals Club lounges in SFO and PHX were underwhelming. Drinks vouchers were strictly rationed to 2 per visit, and guests did not receive any at all (so guests do not have the same lounge benefits). So on our visits my partner and I had one drink each as I guested him in. Pours were not of the long persuasion either.
When the two drinks were consumed, did you ask for more vouchers? IME, the AC lounge 'dragons' have always been happy to pull up some more vouchers. In CLT recently actually asking how many I needed, as we were facing a delay with short of two more hours wait.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by onobond
When the two drinks were consumed, did you ask for more vouchers? IME, the AC lounge 'dragons' have always been happy to pull up some more vouchers. In CLT recently actually asking how many I needed, as we were facing a delay with short of two more hours wait.
No, in PHX I did ask the pleasant dragon if it should be two each but he said no, and in SFO the demeanour of the dragon was such that I didn't dare ask No worries, it was still a place to sit and have a snack and rest.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:30 pm

My wife and I (both silver, travelling business on AA metal) only got one voucher each in SFO's Admiral Club earlier this week.

We made up for it in JFK's Flagship lounge though.

Edit - Both of the Flagships we tried on this trip were excellent. The ACs, not so much.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
The vouchers can be used for premium drinks (or bottled water) at the Admirals club. House drinks, or well drinks (aka gut rot, or no name brands) can be had on a complimentary basis.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
The vouchers can be used for premium drinks (or bottled water) at the Admirals club. House drinks, or well drinks (aka gut rot, or no name brands) can be had on a complimentary basis.
I'd hardly say gut rot, the house red wines they've used when I've been there has been completely fine. I'm unsure of what brand of vodka, gin or whisky they'll use, be it the difference between Smirnoff and Grey Goose, or Kmart bargain vodka vs Smirnoff. Those could be gut rot, never worked out that in the US.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
my experience last week is that anywhere with several Admiral's Clubs, they can't track through the system whether or not you have already had your paper 'premium drink' vouchers - so I got two vouchers at the A-West Club in PHL, then two more at the B/C Club...(and could presumably have tried the same trick at A-East and F if I'd really been that bothered...)

works anywhere with several Admiral Clubs - PHL, I think CLT as well (same as PHL - the former US Airways lounges became ACs), Boston?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Smid
I'd hardly say gut rot, the house red wines they've used when I've been there has been completely fine. I'm unsure of what brand of vodka, gin or whisky they'll use, be it the difference between Smirnoff and Grey Goose, or Kmart bargain vodka vs Smirnoff. Those could be gut rot, never worked out that in the US.
I don’t drink wine in the Admirals Club and I won’t drink the house beer if it’s Bud, Coor’s or Miller Lite, but I will have a vodka & cranberry, or a vodka & lime and if my life depended on it, I couldn’t tell you the actual obscure brand name of the vodka they use. Luckily, the mixer takes most of the edge off it!

Over here, Smirnoff is one step above gut rot. I’ve never understood why it’s rated so much in the UK.

Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:48 am

Titos or nothing for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.