Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused Lounge entry at PHL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Due to a strike related re route I've got just over 5 hours at PHL on 10 September. Coming into PHL in J from MAN and going out in J to SAN. I'm silver so that will in theory get me into all the lounges there. Would prefer BA as I see the AA lounges are pretty small and have a 2 drink limit for anything nice, not great food options either from our experience in PHX last month. There seems to be maybe only one BA flight out on the 10th, hoping that BA lounge will take pity on us as we are BA ticketed.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by endoman
Would prefer BA as I see the AA lounges are pretty small and have a 2 drink limit for anything nice, not great food options either from our experience in PHX last month.
AA lounges at PHL are actually quite nice. The 2 drinks limit is only for premium drinks (although I've never been denied more), and the house stuff (of questionable quality) is limitless. The BA lounge does not really have any good food either for those who aren't eligible for pre-flight dining.
Dambus, endoman, watersign and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR , HH Diamond
If you have a platinum AMEX card then you can also use the Centurion lounge located almost next to the BA lounge. Not the best one in the system at all but always nice to have options.
endoman likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:26 am

Looks like a bit of lounge hopping then to pass the time. Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by danboy767
Hmmm had never visited the AA lounge before and was not given a voucher. But now everyone mentions it I should have gone back to the desk and asked for one.

I am a follow the rules person so don't normally question them, however if traveling on another one world carrier BA refuses to grant access on the basis that space is reserved for those traveling on a BA flight regardless of status, IMHO that should be clearly called out in the T's & C's on of the exec club.

I am not a premium Gin person but a Gin person for which in the AA lounge you must pay.

I thought that all "basic" spirits in the AA lounges were now free in any case? As an Emerald you can get vouchers at the desk that let you get anything you want - and you can keep going back for more if you want. The BA lounge at PHL is really small (esp the Gold side) - though I have to admit the last time I was in it years ago when I was flying on US Airways (when it was still in Star) and I used the (much missed) open doors policy to get in. The rules back then meant I should have been directed (as a Gold card holder using open doors) to the Club side, but the agent at the desk sent me to the gold side as it was nicer, and was also relatively quiet for once!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'd just hop around the AA lounges - A-West and B Admiral clubs are halfway decent, including a proper bar you can sit at (and plenty of space - even if a little dated - to sit and relax otherwise). Nowhere near as crowded as the BA lounges can be. And my experience is you can quite easily get handed extra vouchers on entry if you're nice to the lounge reception...plus if you use your 2 vouchers in A-West you can head on over the B and get more vouchers so that's 4 strong drinks for free already...!
endoman likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by ratypus
I'd just hop around the AA lounges - A-West and B Admiral clubs are halfway decent, including a proper bar you can sit at (and plenty of space - even if a little dated - to sit and relax otherwise). Nowhere near as crowded as the BA lounges can be. And my experience is you can quite easily get handed extra vouchers on entry if you're nice to the lounge reception...plus if you use your 2 vouchers in A-West you can head on over the B and get more vouchers so that's 4 strong drinks for free already...!
They now use electronic vouchers, which are accessed by scanning your boarding pass. I don’t know what the new limits are, but I’m going to suspect that this new system will cut down on some of the opportunities for extra vouchers.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ah, that's new - only 2-3 months ago I was merrily hopping around the paper vouchers!
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Originally Posted by ratypus
Ah, that's new - only 2-3 months ago I was merrily hopping around the paper vouchers!
Over the last 10 days the 2 drink limit was enforced electronically by boarding pass in PHL, PHX and SFO - the barman informed me that I'd hit my limit on two occasions, which was helpful....
Andriyko and watersign like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Both AA lounges in PHL are actually pretty good. I prefer them over the Amex lounge (overcrowded with hipsters, including food options heavily focused on quinoa). The BA lounge is better for a boozy afternoon - but in between two J flights that wouldn't be my priority...
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:40 pm

We did both the AA lounges, cards for drinks at the A west, and boarding pass at B. Both nice lounges, B quieter, didn't bother with BA as the AA ones were fine for our needs.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:52 pm
LPQ

Programs: TG *G 20 years
Originally Posted by Andriyko
The BA lounge does not really have any good food either for those who aren't eligible for pre-flight dining.
15 Sept 16.00
I would echo this comment, particularly for the BA F lounge. There was a matchbox sized seating area around the F buffet which was limited to a few stale rolls and half a dozen wilted carrots which looked as though they had been rescued from a dustbin. The BA Business lounge had relatively better buffet offerings, with a wider selection of fresh sandwiches and wraps together with hot food including a corn chowder and cheese steak rolls. Pre flight dining for eligible passengers started in both sections about an hour prior to boarding.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold , HH Diamond , IHG Diamond Elite, Accor Gold
LIS-PHL-LAS in J and F today on AA, refused entry by the BA lounge Dragon again, virtually empty and no capacity restraints, pass through here often, told her i was GGL and in a condescending and extremely rude manner told " You Go In Now", told her to jog on,

$4K one way ticket and joint venture with BA, this is not good enough, treated like a little kid.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by RGMD11
LIS-PHL-LAS in J and F today on AA, refused entry by the BA lounge Dragon again, virtually empty and no capacity restraints, pass through here often, told her i was GGL and in a condescending and extremely rude manner told " You Go In Now", told her to jog on,

$4K one way ticket and joint venture with BA, this is not good enough, treated like a little kid.
Do I have this right? After pointing out you were GGL the lady at the front desk relented but you refused because you felt her tone was condescending and rude. Is that right?
esledo likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Visited for the first time yesterday, as AA EXP on the BA PHL-LHR flight. No issues going in, wasn't crowded, food selection on the F side left a lot to be desired. Chap at the desk was nice. Imagine it would have been a different result if I had been on the AA flight.

Was walking into the Centurion beforehand, and a chap coming out shook his head and said "don't even bother, brother" so I turned around and went straight to BA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.