Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
In what way is it preferable privacy wise?!
I would much rather have the privacy of the 1-2-1 than have to share a double bed with a stranger!

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would suggest that there is more privacy in BA's layout than in (for example) the 1-2-1 on the AA 330s or 77Ws. This is only true of the Window seat (and even then only when the divider is up) and either the same in other seats (Aisle) or less in the middle pair.

This

or this

Last edited by strichener; Jun 6, 2016 at 4:22 pm
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by strichener
I find it difficult to believe that anyone would suggest that there is more privacy in BA's layout than in (for example) the 1-2-1 on the AA 330s or 77Ws. This is only true of the Window seat
Which, if you read the posts, is exactly what the people above were saying.

The Cirrus seat is fantastic, but a CW window seat is still more private.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
I would much rather have the privacy of the 1-2-1 than have to share a double bed with a stranger!

I find it difficult to believe that anyone would suggest that there is more privacy in BA's layout than in (for example) the 1-2-1 on the AA 330s or 77Ws. This is only true of the Window seat (and even then only when the divider is up) and either the same in other seats (Aisle) or less in the middle pair.

This

or this

I would never pick the middle seat when traveling alone, but always pick it when flying with my wife in CW. She gets her first BA F experience at the end of the year, and she might have mixed feelings compared to sharing space in the middle in CW.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
So basically you want a feeling of privacy rather than actual privacy?

That's fine, if it's what you're after (and indeed works well for me), in reality anyone walking past has pretty much as much visible access to you in the Cirrus seat as in a CW aisle seat. Bar your feet of course entombed within the foot coffin
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by dylanks
I would never pick the middle seat when traveling alone, but always pick it when flying with my wife in CW. She gets her first BA F experience at the end of the year, and she might have mixed feelings compared to sharing space in the middle in CW.
I've had to share with a stranger in the middle of CW before and with the screen pulled forward I was completely unaware of his presence.

It was on a night flight as opposed to a day flight though, if we were both sitting up right eating, it may have been a bit different.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:46 pm

On the Cirrus seat from one of the middles - I found that I could easily see over to the person at the window and the person on the other middle seat. Not what I'd call private.

With the BA seats - I have choices. I can take the double middle seats if I'm travelling with someone - and we can have privacy using the dividers on either side. I can take a window for relatively complete privacy or I can take an aisle and have as much privacy as the Cirrus.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
A.k.a. the Apex suite, as also used in JL's current flagship J - http://beaerospace.com/products/seat...st-class/apex/
I find it hard to see how that conclusion can be reached? The configuration is totally different (JL current J is front facing stagered while this is yin yang not staggered) and not enough detail to see if seat itself would be similar or not.

The new jl j introduced next month is same layout as cirrus but different seat.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I do like the idea of CW seats with different legrooms. There is a difference of 5 inches between the average height of men and the average height of women. I think it's brilliant that BA has decided to differentiate the seats. They can even charge more for the slightly bigger CW seats. The difference in fare could just be the 5-10% tacked on during seat selection reflecting the difference in the space provided.

That being said I hate the high density configuration of CW. I want to see drastically more improvements in the CW offering before I am tempted to switch from AA. For example, if they can improve the sleep experience to the point where I can actually fall asleep on short TATL flights (I am a light sleeper), etc.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by muishkin
I do like the idea of CW seats with different legrooms. There is a difference of 5 inches between the average height of men and the average height of women. I think it's brilliant that BA has decided to differentiate the seats. They can even charge more for the slightly bigger CW seats. The difference in fare could just be the 5-10% tacked on during seat selection reflecting the difference in the space provided.

That being said I hate the high density configuration of CW. I want to see drastically more improvements in the CW offering before I am tempted to switch from AA. For example, if they can improve the sleep experience to the point where I can actually fall asleep on short TATL flights (I am a light sleeper), etc.
I'm intrigued how you'd ask them to improve the sleep experience over AA J ... BA do offer the sleeper services which seem far better than the AA offering.

The downside of current CW is the noisy divider going up and down.

Otherwise surely it's all plane noise as is the same airline to airline?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
To me it is all down to one thing: sense of space vs privacy. It is hard to beat a window seat on CW on the A380/747 UD. Every other BA seat either feels like a coffin or a park bench to me. The Cirrus seat has the same problem BA F has: not private enough, but at least all seats are more or less created equal. The 'coffin feel' on any BA window seat (except the ones mentioned) still make me prefer the Cirrus seat.

Travelling with a partner (that I like), I think the middle seats on BA are fantastic and I would actually pay extra to fly them (during the first few years of the romance at least...).

I am hopeful that the new design will make all window seats equal, all middle seats seem to have direct aisle access (good) and maybe even the park bench seats will be a little more private. If they are clever they copy the JL design as much as possible.

I think that they should hire Prospero. That man has got some serious skills. Not even joking.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Why not use the ever popular Cirrus seat? Since resounding opinions are ^ on that design?

Cuz this supposed new CW seat doesnt look all that innovative or game changing to me versus whats flying today already on BA <yawn>!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I fully agree with you and disagree with others that the CW seat offers privacy. CW windows do (in fact quite a lot of it) but all other seats are some of the least private around bar the 'old style' J soe airlines are discontinuing. would personally have preferred BA to move towards the current JL J seat which is excellent (and still a very dense layout) or the Cirrus, or even the current EY/AZ staggered 1-2-1.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:51 pm
eae
In memoriam

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GfL
Originally Posted by JHIN
Why not use the ever popular Cirrus seat? Since resounding opinions are ^ on that design?
I for one much prefer even the current club world seat over Cirrus. Cirrus is worse as a seat, much too narrow at shoulder level and has inadequate space for the legs and feet.

If this is anything like the new JL seat it'll combine the best aspects of the current BA seat with the best aspects of Cirrus (direct aisle access).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I find it hard to see how that conclusion can be reached? The configuration is totally different (JL current J is front facing stagered while this is yin yang not staggered) and not enough detail to see if seat itself would be similar or not.

The new jl j introduced next month is same layout as cirrus but different seat.
Sorry, I'm not following which bit of my post you're disagreeing with - you mean the section I quoted from lots@LHR? I don't necessarily agree with it, but don't feel it's that objectionable!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Exec Club; Gold
I agree the changes proposed are more akin to revisions to an existing concept rather than a wholesale revolution (such as moving to Cirrus) but I do quite like them as they are revising the key areas for me (direct aisle access, some more storage). I doubt the storage will ever rival the Cirrus seat but then again the foot space in CW for me (6ft3 with size 13s...) is more important for my overall enjoyment / comfort.

What I would really like to know is what they propose to do between the E & F seats when they roll this out to an aircraft that fits 8 abreast (whenever that may be!). I would really like to see them create a full wall divide between the E&F seats, albeit with a large vertical divider which comes down for when couples are using the seats.

This will keep couples satisfied but also create a private space for sleepers more akin to the window seats. There's probably a good logistical reason this can't happen that I've missed due to my lack of any engineering knowledge - but if they could incorporate this then it creates a higher number of solo traveller friendly seats per aircraft...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.