Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:03 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Raffles

Which means it is the Iberia seat they will use, I guess.
i have strong doubts BA will follow IB here.

The Solstys seat design is optimised for the A330/A340 and simply doesn’t configure efficiently in the narrower fuselage of the 787 and A380 upper deck or the wider fuselage of the 777, 747, and A380 main deck.

So when you think about how the product is space-planned you can see it works very well for A330 as the seat units are laterally spaced in a 1-2-1 arrangement where each unit consists of 2 seats. Apply these units to the A380 and the best they achieve is a 1-1-1 arrangement on the upper deck and 1-2-1 on the main deck. That’s very poor in terms of space utilisation.

The B/E Suoer Diamond product adapts itself substantially better to the variable cabin widths inherent in BA’s fleet
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I am taking a punt on the JL J (the 787 version)-style seats.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Have you ever sat in the "club four" at the rear of the lower deck of a New Routemaster? Your face is at half the distance from the face of the person opposite you, and in addition to seeing their face in front of you at this close proximity you also have no option but to rub knees with them. And on many journeys, you have to do this for much longer than it takes to get to the end of the BA safety briefing.
I have this on the new Thameslink class 700 trains. No leg room, and close proximity to the 'opposites'.

The difference I suppose is TL don't pretend it is a premium experience....
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Prospero

The Solstys seat design is optimised for the A330/A340 and simply doesn’t configure efficiently in the narrower fuselage of the 787 and A380 upper deck or the wider fuselage of the 777, 747, and A380 main deck.

So when you think about how the product is space-planned you can see it works very well for A330 as the seat units are laterally spaced in a 1-2-1 arrangement where each unit consists of 2 seats. Apply these units to the A380 and the best they achieve is a 1-1-1 arrangement on the upper deck and 1-2-1 on the main deck. That’s very poor in terms of space utilisation.

The B/E Suoer Diamond product adapts itself substantially better to the variable cabin widths inherent in BA’s fleet
Better illustrated, I think...

Solstys seat configurations - poorly optimised for the Boeing 787 and Airbus A380, resulting in comically narrow or wastefully wide aisles

T8191 likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Nov 4, 2018 at 12:05 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by simons1
The difference I suppose is TL don't pretend it is a premium experience....
True, but then again TfL doesn't provide a staggered arrangement so that you're not actually rubbing knees because you're laterally separated, or a divider to screen you from the other person for 95% or more of the duration of the journey, or a seat that reclines at all let alone to a horizontal position from which you actually can't see the face of the other person without raising yourself up, or champagne ...

Last edited by Globaliser; Nov 4, 2018 at 1:09 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA

Forgive me, but I have a couple queries. The 787 cabin is wider than the a330/340 cabin. Also, I believe that Thai happily fit the Solstys in a 1-2-1 configuration on the a380 upper deck.

Last edited by hemschmall; Nov 4, 2018 at 6:12 am
Old Nov 4, 2018, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by hemschmall
Forgive me, but I have a couple queries. The 787 cabin is wider than the a330/340 cabin, isn't it? Also, I believe that Thai happily fit the Solstys in a 1-2-1 configuration on the a380 upper deck?
it is. Hence the extremely wide aisles or narrow ones as in the image above.

And I don’t think TG has ever been the comparator for sound airline decisions. 😜
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer

it is. Hence the extremely wide aisles or narrow ones as in the image above.

And I don’t think TG has ever been the comparator for sound airline decisions. ��
Either I'm having an off-day, or none of this is making sense! The 787 cabin is wider than the a330/a340. That diagram does not reflect this. If we're talking about the 767, then that would line up with the argument. Of course, that scenario is a moot point.

As for TG...
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:27 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Either I'm having an off-day, or none of this is making sense! The 787 cabin is wider than the a330/a340. That diagram does not reflect this. If we're talking about the 767, then that would line up with the argument. Of course, that scenario is a moot point.

As for TG...
+1

the 787 is indeed wider than the a330, and so the Solstys theoretically should be able to fit into the 787 cabin.

Additionally, airlines like Asiana and China Southern has the Solstys on the upper deck in a 1-2-1 configuration as well.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Yes, and it is being used on 777s too - Garuda and PIA being examples. They are reasonable layouts, and not hideously inefficient. Whether it is the most efficient is another matter.

Of course, Solstys, and indeed any other off-the-shelf product, come in a number of flavours and sizes. The new regional SIA seat is in effect a very heavily modified Solstys and achieves a comfortable 1-2-1 on the 787.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:44 am

As for TG...
You’re right... I was viewing on my phone and thought there was an extra middle seat on the 787. There’s not so your thought seem correct to me.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:09 am

Forgive me, but I have a couple queries. The 787 cabin is wider than the a330/340 cabin. Also, I believe that Thai happily fit the Solstys in a 1-2-1 configuration on the a380 upper deck.
Yes, thank-you for the correction. While my mind was in a hopeless muddle about the 787 cabin width, my overall point concerning the efficiency of the Solstys product still stands. The shortcoming of the Solsyts module which provides a fixed unit width of 1.065m and a min unit pitch of 2.261m, is its very long and very thin working footprint. So when the module is applied to cabins wider than the A330 (at 5.28m) all that is gained is additional aisle width.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
These new F developments need their own thread !!
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
These new F developments need their own thread !!
Happy to assist. This sub topic now has its own thread.

Future BA First developments

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:09 am

Happy to assist. This sub topic now has its own thread.

Future BA First developments

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Taken from the article that sparked that thread:

Alex [Cruz] explained his frustrations at getting new seats fitted which is down to delays by the seat manufacturers, not because BA won’t spend the money as some may have thought.
I wonder if that means the seat is coming from Zodiac.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.