Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Club World (Genuinely something new)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
23 years ago we introduced the world’s first flat-bed business class seat – but the bad news is that we still have it”.

[pedant]
23 years ago you introduced the world's first flat-bed first class seat. The first flat-bed business class seat was 18 years ago.
[/pedant]
Old May 30, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
Unfortunately rows is across is the only industry standard measure we have to go on.
Then the answer is to avoid being intellectually lazy, and to avoid making simplistic comparisons merely by using "standard measures" when they just don't work well in relation to configurations of these types; and instead to do some deeper thinking about issues like "2-4-2".
dodgeflyer and dylanks like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Gold4life, ICH RA, Hyatt Gold and others
I like the current layout in that I don't have to stick my lower legs and feet in a "box". Sleeping is so much easier with freedom of leg movement.
I don't want to sit with my back to the window
Direct aisle access is the real issue to be resolved, and adding a stagger to achieve direct aisle access would certainly improve the "staring at strangers" issue as well
Storage just needs a clever solution then, which might work on the 350XWB but not be achievable on retrofitting certain older frames.....

Whatever the outcome I HOPE they keep something that is "radically different" from the others who are in the main largely similar in concept.

Despite its age it is not a bad product and it doesn't become bad because there are more and more better products, it becomes, well, more different!!

And its certainly been a durable product, and bad products Don't last - just look at VS
Old May 30, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Then the answer is to avoid being intellectually lazy, and to avoid making simplistic comparisons merely by using "standard measures" when they just don't work well in relation to configurations of these types; and instead to do some deeper thinking about issues like "2-4-2".
Well it's not really being intellectually lazy. on the whole you CAN use the layout as a (at least rough) measure of space.
For example. BA's 2-4-2 vs JL's 2-2-2.
Which do you think has more space for each PAX?

Of course, if you really want to defend BA (that you seem determined to do) and say that density left to right doesn't correlate to space available then you can find examples, and strange lines drawn across the cabin that show this in a convoluted way.

But on the whole, cabin layout correlates directly to density.

BA's 2-4-2 CW is one of the most densified business classes in the world. With some of the least seat, storage and personal space. Fact.
Whereas airlines with 1-2-1, 2-2-2 and even 2-3-2 mostly, all are on the whole perceived a better product.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Mutu
Despite its age it is not a bad product
That is where many many many people. (almost every single best/worst business class review) would disagree with you.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended

My guess is a British version of QRs Qsuite for A350s, B773/Xs and the lower deck of A380s. The upper deck of A380s will get a modified Zodiac Cirrus seat to pack more in when the side storage bins are removed. This seat will also be installed on B787-10s.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by richardwft
My guess is a British version of QRs Qsuite for A350s, B773/Xs and the lower deck of A380s. The upper deck of A380s will get a modified Zodiac Cirrus seat to pack more in when the side storage bins are removed. This seat will also be installed on B787-10s.
Two different J class seat designs on one aircraft?

I would suggest neither of these layouts are dense enough for BA (unless by modified Zodiac Cirrus you mean a similarly cramped configuration to AY).
Old May 30, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Mutu
I like the current layout in that I don't have to stick my lower legs and feet in a "box". Sleeping is so much easier with freedom of leg movement.
I don't want to sit with my back to the window
Direct aisle access is the real issue to be resolved, and adding a stagger to achieve direct aisle access would certainly improve the "staring at strangers" issue as well
Storage just needs a clever solution then, which might work on the 350XWB but not be achievable on retrofitting certain older frames.....

Whatever the outcome I HOPE they keep something that is "radically different" from the others who are in the main largely similar in concept.

Despite its age it is not a bad product and it doesn't become bad because there are more and more better products, it becomes, well, more different!!

And its certainly been a durable product, and bad products Don't last - just look at VS
I actually like it, more comfortable than the AA 772 which also feels super dense. It just needs updating (better IFE and storage) and upgrading (direct aisle access and a better situation for your legs).

They should use the current first colour scheme maybe dropping the champagne colour for a soft silver shade cabin and you have a winner.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: BAEC
I hope I can still face backwards. The other day I had a horrible short night flight to do in time for a short-notice morning meeting, but thanks to a backwards CW seat, got the best night's sleep ever on a plane and it reminded me how good it was compared to the 'feet in box' issue of others. The crew were sad I didn't try out the whole new menu thing (just a main) and I only grabbed the first blanket thing I found from the new White Company items, plus the huge pillow. A few minutes later I was out!

Storage was a bit tricky so as usual if it was a day flight I'd be piling things up by me on the seat.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Two different J class seat designs on one aircraft?

I would suggest neither of these layouts are dense enough for BA (unless by modified Zodiac Cirrus you mean a similarly cramped configuration to AY).
Yes, the upper and lower decks of the A380 present different opportunities for maximising seat numbers.

Seems dense enough https://www.ausbt.com.au/revealed-qa...rbus-a350-1000 with flloor area sharing.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by richardwft

Yes, the upper and lower decks of the A380 present different opportunities for maximising seat numbers.

Seems dense enough https://www.ausbt.com.au/revealed-qa...rbus-a350-1000 with flloor area sharing.
It's 24 seats on a 773 in the same space BA currently puts 32, question is how many (if any) seats BA is willing to sacrifice.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: BAEC
I guess the OP has been silenced or other, as there hasn’t been any new responses for sometime, so the seat design drawing at the beginning could be a yay or nay...

We continue the rumour mill
Old May 30, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by dylanks

Because a row in 2-4-2 is roughly two rows in a typical 1-2-1... 1-2-1 seats are at a 45 degree angle. It’s simple math and geometry, not physics.

Refuting the tired 2-4-2 CW vs 1-2-1 cirrus seat argument
Exactly. You only have to look at how many seats different airlines have in the same physical area. EK is 1-2-1 on 380, BA is 2-4-2. But that doesn't mean EK has half the seats, just that the seat in front has usable space above your feet.

And why does your ticket price have to go up? BA are well in profit and have publicly said that their tired J product has to modernise to compete.
You can have better J at the same price without sinking the company.
So you don't understand how public limited companies work then? Worth checking that bit out....
Old May 30, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... and strange lines drawn across the cabin that show this in a convoluted way.
I think you misread what I wrote: the word I used was "straight" lines.

Would you be happier if BA renumbered the CW seat rows? That's a quick way to turn CW into a 1-2-1 configuration.
email2markt and Hilde like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by simons1

So you don't understand how public limited companies work then? Worth checking that bit out....
That makes me laugh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.