Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
This is not true. Many airports have MCT for offline transit/transfer, which is exactly designed for people needs to collect their bags or re check-in.
Happy to be proved wrong but I find this very doubtful.

If you have separate flights you are not connecting, so minimum connection time does not come into it.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Flying into LAX on Monday with AA.
Then I've a BA flight to LHR, separate ticket, about 7hrs or so later.
I could quite happily spend the day in the QF lounge etc., and have done so before (after getting sunburnt the day before), but I would like the option of wandering the streets or something like riding the bus towards Santa Monica and not sure if it's possible to check a bag direct with BA at that time.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by xenole
Flying into LAX on Monday with AA.
Then I've a BA flight to LHR, separate ticket, about 7hrs or so later.
I could quite happily spend the day in the QF lounge etc., and have done so before (after getting sunburnt the day before), but I would like the option of wandering the streets or something like riding the bus towards Santa Monica and not sure if it's possible to check a bag direct with BA at that time.
AA is unlikely to through check the bag these days. Then again, BA has several flights, so depending on your timing (ie, you're on the last flight of the day and get in around lunchtime) you might find the BA desks open early enough for you to drop the bag and head out. otherwise it's either the left luggage or, bit risky, don't pick up your bag at the AA terminal and head for the lost luggage office later
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:04 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Perhaps it simply expects the customer to accept the drawbacks that may exist with the benefits of separate tickets

The customer paying the through fare gets protection should a flight be delayed/cancelled and the onward flight is missed plus gets the benefit of throigh baggage checking

The customer that books 2 separate itineraries gets to deal with having 2 separate itineraries - just book the through ticket and no issues
For most of the drawbacks and benefits that you list, I think most people do indeed accept the drawbacks of two tickets and accept that there are benefits they miss out on.

But if it's something that an airline introduces simply as a nuisance to the customer and at no benefit to the airline, simply to give an incentive to pay up, at first glance I am not sure I am fully in agreement with you on that front.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
For most of the drawbacks and benefits that you list, I think most people do indeed accept the drawbacks of two tickets and accept that there are benefits they miss out on.

But if it's something that an airline introduces simply as a nuisance to the customer and at no benefit to the airline, simply to give an incentive to pay up, at first glance I am not sure I am fully in agreement with you on that front.
I don't see it is being done as a nuisance. I do see a differentiated proposition though.....if you want the benefits and protections accorded by a single ticket then that is what you should purchase.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by simons1
I don't see it is being done as a nuisance. I do see a differentiated proposition though.....if you want the benefits and protections accorded by a single ticket then that is what you should purchase.
Well... you might be right, perhaps I am not looking at it from the appropriate angle. It just feels to me like those airlines are forcing travellers to go pick up their bag, re-check in, go through security again... this all adds up to overall traffic in the airport for staff with the airline and screening staff too, and this is all to make a point that there is a benefit of buying just one ticket and try to extract more revenue, at the risk of losing customers who will be alienated and fly with someone else.... sounds a bit like a punishment for buying 2 tickets. Maybe if all airlines of the world handled it the BA-AA way, I would be more likely to think of it as a given.... but most provide the perk of tagging to destination to all travellers so they are the ones who look like "normal" instead of looking like they are overly generous. BA-AA look stingy and trouble-making At least for me, maybe I am of the minority opinion though, I realize that.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chongcao
I don't know about cost. You might be right about that one. But, for a passenger travel on a through ticket AAA-BBB-CCC and two separate tickets AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with the same legal transfer time, the risk of baggage going missing or bags separate from passengers are exactly THE SAME, mathematically speaking if both case bags are checked through. To baggage handlers, what passengers booked is irrelevant. They can only see what bags are interlined to what flight.

In fact, through check the bag could help on-time departures. For example, when passengers fly AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC with 4 hours transfer time, separate tickets. Without through checked baggage, the first leg is 2 hours late, the passenger had to reclaim the bag and re-check in. There are several things can go wrong to have an impact on this passenger's transit: 1, Arrival jet bridge or bus transfer; 2, late arrival of baggage in belt; 3, queues in recheck the bag; 4, long security line and 5, long walk to boarding gate. Any disrupted passenger can be potential disruption for later.

With checked through baggage, airline can virtually control every aspect of the offline transit passenger. Everyone is happy, except the bean counter believe they could sell the ticket more expensive without considering the missed the sale in future.

Just my 2 cents.
If flight 1 is late and you arrive too late for checkin for flight 2, then it is all your problem - you will be responsible to get yourself rebooked and pay any change fees ( if the fare allows such changes ) or buy a new ticket, If you are there in time to check in for flight 2, then no more issue than for any other passenger

The airline has no responsibility if you are late arriving for flight 2

At Heathrow ( where most BA-BA situations are likely to occur ) - if late checking in for the 2nd flight and fail to clear security by t-35 and you will fail conformance and be offloaded - no issue at all with passenger causing disruption to flight punctuality
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:57 pm

Well... you might be right, perhaps I am not looking at it from the appropriate angle. It just feels to me like those airlines are forcing travellers to go pick up their bag, re-check in, go through security again... this all adds up to overall traffic in the airport for staff with the airline and screening staff too, and this is all to make a point that there is a benefit of buying just one ticket and try to extract more revenue, at the risk of losing customers who will be alienated and fly with someone else.... sounds a bit like a punishment for buying 2 tickets.
But they are not "forcing you" to do anything. You are choosing to do it though your choice of ticket.

It's a bit like buying a cheaper ex-EU ticket and then complaining the airline is "forcing you" to take positioning flights that are a pain.

As for security etc, so what, you pay for it on your ticket, it creates employment, why would the airport care less.

There is no punishment here, it's just the price you pay for a cheaper option.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
But they are not "forcing you" to do anything. You are choosing to do it though your choice of ticket.

It's a bit like buying a cheaper ex-EU ticket and then complaining the airline is "forcing you" to take positioning flights that are a pain.

As for security etc, so what, you pay for it on your ticket, it creates employment, why would the airport care less.

There is no punishment here, it's just the price you pay for a cheaper option.
A passenger who has one leg of a trip on a revenue ticket and one leg on a reward booking, which cannot be combined in a single booking, does not deserve to be punished for his/her loyalty.
wrp96 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

A passenger who has one leg of a trip on a revenue ticket and one leg on a reward booking, which cannot be combined in a single booking, does not deserve to be punished for his/her loyalty.
I agree - that is the exception. I also believe they don't deserve to be caught out by BA's hideous 'carrier surcharge'.

However I imagine such travelkers are a tiny proportion when compared to the numbers who would otherwise take advantage of the lower fares of separate tickets whilst expecting the same benefits of a single ticket. That is who I am referring to here.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Csn you give some examples and sources for this. as I have never heard of offline minimum connection times. Indeed I fail to see why if you bowl up 3 hours late for your ‘onward’ flight why that airline would honour your non refundable non changeable ticket just because the flight you arrived on had allowed this offline minimum connection time between arriving flights d onward flight.
When I was a travel agent, MCT were exactly for tickets booked seperately.

Airlines would often guarantee faster connections on through tickets.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Sealink
When I was a travel agent, MCT were exactly for tickets booked seperately.

Airlines would often guarantee faster connections on through tickets.
With all due respect I imagine this was quite a while ago and things in the airline industry have changed immensely. As a kid I used to love going to the reference library on a Saturday afternoon and getting the 2 Reed telephone directory worldwide airline timetables and looking at the MCTs at the end, indeed I always thought IATA set them for their member airlines with some carriers tweaking them when they could undercut.

Happy to proved wrong but I can’t find any reference to offline minimum connection times hence my request to be pointed to such sources. Indeed as posted up thread at Heathrow there is no such thing as connecting passengers on two separate tickets. A cursory look at some major carriers websites on check in indicates that if you don’t check in on time you most likely won’t get to travel..there is no reference excepting passengers with offline minimum connecting times.

The only thing that I can see which remotely comes close to this is the Gatwick Connect product that they launched in 2013 to encourage people to change planes there. This assists with check in and makes the process slightly easier if you buy the tickets through them, They offer a Connect Protect product where the airport will cover the additional expenses of a missed departure.

Conscious this is taking this topic off thread as BA don’t/shouldn’t through check bags on separate tickets so not sure if a separate thread needs to be created and moved to there,

FWIW I think it’s a bit naff that airlines don’t offer this inter alliance or on their own metal especially where reward flights and revenue flights can’t be combined. I’ve been lucky that AA did it for me but it wouldn’t have made a major issue had they not as I could have reclaimed my bag in Dublin gone through customs to the check in desk and deposited it for London City.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
But if an airline gives me trouble simply because they want to steer me to a different choice, then over time indeed I am steering towards a different choice, that is a different airline.
People here sometimes scoff at the idea that an airline might ever be looking at the question of just how many people consequentially make the choice to go to a different airline, or that the airline might change its policy if the answer is "too many". But maybe, just maybe, BA has some basis for concluding that the answer is not (or not yet) that. After all, we only have anecdote but the airline has data.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

With all due respect I imagine this was quite a while ago and things in the airline industry have changed immensely. As a kid I used to love going to the reference library on a Saturday afternoon and getting the 2 Reed telephone directory worldwide airline timetables and looking at the MCTs at the end, indeed I always thought IATA set them for their member airlines with some carriers tweaking them when they
I totally agree. I miss my ABC Guides.

I still think through checking luggage must be cheaper than having a customer collect bags, check in again etc.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Sealink
I still think through checking luggage must be cheaper than having a customer collect bags, check in again etc.
Even if it is, there could still be foregone revenue if the airline does not try to deter passengers from self-"connecting" when they could be buying a more expensive through ticket instead.
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.