Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:28 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by windowontheAside

(Although this is FT where people seem to be able to disagree on anything and everything ...)
Oh no they don't...
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:13 pm

Can anyone offer some advice. Travelling from Austria to Lon Muc-Lhr (Not ticketed yet) on the 7th Aug. I have tickets on the 8th going to from Lhr to Tlv. Could I call up BA and have the Muc-Lhr to the same pnr so that the suitcases get forwarded straight on to tlv. The layover time is 18hours and I dont want to have luggage to 'lug' around.

And does it make a difference if the Muc-Lhr is with avios. (Lhr to Tlv is cash)
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by shayele
And does it make a difference if the Muc-Lhr is with avios. (Lhr to Tlv is cash)
That can't be merged on to the same PNR, the underlying ticket components can't be combined and it can't physically be ticketed if it is a redemption ticket + cash ticket.

But you can amend a cash booking to start from a new location, usually, and MUC-LHR-TLV could often be cheaper than LHR-TLV. Or store the bags in LHR T5, in the Excess Baggage shop in Arrivals.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:22 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Can anyone offer some advice. Travelling from Austria to Lon Muc-Lhr (Not ticketed yet) on the 7th Aug. I have tickets on the 8th going to from Lhr to Tlv. Could I call up BA and have the Muc-Lhr to the same pnr so that the suitcases get forwarded straight on to tlv. The layover time is 18hours and I dont want to have luggage to 'lug' around.

There is no way you can have a cash and reward bookings combined together in one booking, If you want MUC-LHR as a reward booking and LHR-TLV as a cash booking they could only be separate bookings/tickets and that means no checking through of bags and no connection protection across separate tickets,
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That can't be merged on to the same PNR, the underlying ticket components can't be combined and it can't physically be ticketed if it is a redemption ticket + cash ticket.

But you can amend a cash booking to start from a new location, usually, and MUC-LHR-TLV could often be cheaper than LHR-TLV. Or store the bags in LHR T5, in the Excess Baggage shop in Arrivals.

I dont think this will be possible as it non changable non refundable tickets but will ask. The problem with the storage is that it closes at at 2300 whilst the tickets im looking at arrives into Lhr at 22.05 its abit too close for comfort.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
I dont think this will be possible as it non changable non refundable tickets but will ask. The problem with the storage is that it closes at at 2300 whilst the tickets im looking at arrives into Lhr at 22.05 its abit too close for comfort.
If you are staying overnight near LHR then you could probably leave the bags at the hotel and pick them up to check in. This means getting back to the airport a bit earlier and works best if the hotel is really handy.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:39 pm

Called today adding the leg is not a viable possibility.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:27 am

I am looking to book a BA avios redemption ticket on BA15 (LHR to SIN) and then a cash ticket on the same flight (BA15) continuing on to SYD. There are no through avios redemptions all the way from LHR to SYD. My question is whether I can check in baggage all the way from London to Sydney. I don't think I can, according to the BA policy (on no through checking baggage with separate tickets), and I won't have enough time to collect my baggage and check it back in at Singapore.

Apologies if this question is already addressed, but I searched through the thread and could only find reference to one post around 2016 when the policy was introduced, and I wasn't sure what happened to the poster.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Your luggage should not be checked through and will need to be rechecked

You do have ( assuming flight on time ) 1 hr 35 minutes between arrival and departure, which is a bit tight

If you are delayed, then the duration between arrival and departure could shrink and there is a bigger risk of missing it

I would suggest booking another flight from Singapore to Sydney ; there are plenty of flights between those 2 airports across several airlines
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Your luggage should not be checked through and will need to be rechecked

You do have ( assuming flight on time ) 1 hr 35 minutes between arrival and departure, which is a bit tight

If you are delayed, then the duration between arrival and departure could shrink and there is a bigger risk of missing it

I would suggest booking another flight from Singapore to Sydney ; there are plenty of flights between those 2 airports across several airlines
Thank you Noble Dave!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
I agree that is the policy and one should plan for that eventuality, but I have been lucky twice lately with the check in agents happy to check baggage through to final destination on different PNRs. I suspect that all the BA agents around the world take their own view on things. Neither occasion was with real BA staff (BRU and LAD).

They were both BA flights btw.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mjack99
I agree that is the policy and one should plan for that eventuality, but I have been lucky twice lately with the check in agents happy to check baggage through to final destination on different PNRs. I suspect that all the BA agents around the world take their own view on things. Neither occasion was with real BA staff (BRU and LAD).

They were both BA flights btw.
Given that the flights are yet to be booked, it would seem foolish to book based on gambling that an agent in London will choose to ignore the rules rather than just book a flight where the risk can be better mitigated
Often1 and argonath like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, CCR; Marriott PFL, Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that the flights are yet to be booked, it would seem foolish to book based on gambling that an agent in London will choose to ignore the rules rather than just book a flight where the risk can be better mitigated
Agreed it's risky especially in London were they know the rules (sometimes).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
What is the wisdom regarding a travel agent purchased ticket (one travel agent PNR) which contains two tickets: BA and KLM. Will BA check through to KLM?

I believe it should be okay since it is one PNR, and BA and KL have an interline agreement.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by sxc
What is the wisdom regarding a travel agent purchased ticket (one travel agent PNR) which contains two tickets: BA and KLM. Will BA check through to KLM?

I believe it should be okay since it is one PNR, and BA and KL have an interline agreement.
The good thing is that both BA and KL are on Amadeus Altea DCS. When checking in with BA, try to use their automated kiosks (even better if they have self-tagging). The system will automatically see it as one booking and attempt to check you in to the final destination and print the bag tags!

Things may get bad if you get an over zealous check-in agent who takes the extra step to "view" each e-ticket during the check-in process and refuse to check you in to the KL flight. However, if the agent is lazy, you'll likely get checked into your final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.