Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
UPDATED FOR 15 NOVEMBER 2016: BA will no longer accept interlining on BA-BA separate tickets / PNRs.

From 1 June 2016, the oneworld policy on accepting customers travelling on separate tickets was changed. BA, along with some other oneworld partners, has implemented this change in policy which is as follows:
Only those customers that have separate tickets issued in the same PNR/booking will be accepted for through check-in. Furthermore all sectors must be BA / oneworld / other carrier, but BA to/fron Vueling is specifically NOT allowed even on the same ticket. Aer Lingus is not specified but some be covered by "other carrier".

A PNR is a wrapper, and it can have several tickets, and other items such as hotels, in one PNR, so long as it was built that way at the time of purchase. Another (new) ticket can be inserted into an existing PNR after purchase, it is easiest to do this at a BA airport, and there is a small fee for doing this (£15 in the UK). However you cannot merge 2 existing PNRs into one PNR - once a reservation has reached ticketed status it can't be moved. If you have 2 PNRs you need to allow time to collect and re-check any bags at the transfer airport.

There is one exception: BA to BA transfers, on 2 PNRs, are allowed. See post 643 for details.

___
From post 947. Select "do not have IATA number"
http://www.speedbirdclub.com/ch/reservations-ticketing/rulesregulations/separatetickets/
Print Wikipost

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 11:36 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
It's a shame there is so much confusion surrounding the policies of checking bags thru when traveling on multiple tickets. Most customers seems to assume that it's a right and many airline employees have no clue about the rules and just flat out refuse.

My €0.02 is that if you are traveling on multiple tickets, do so with carry-on only or expect to recheck the bag at the destination of each ticket. If you align your expectations with this, you have the worst-outcome-level of expectation and things can only become better in reality.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by agehall
It's a shame there is so much confusion surrounding the policies of checking bags thru when traveling on multiple tickets. Most customers seems to assume that it's a right and many airline employees have no clue about the rules and just flat out refuse.

My €0.02 is that if you are traveling on multiple tickets, do so with carry-on only or expect to recheck the bag at the destination of each ticket. If you align your expectations with this, you have the worst-outcome-level of expectation and things can only become better in reality.
I try to avoid separate tickets if I need to have baggage checked through, but there are instances where even a through ticket doesn't manage to get the luggage to the destination either. Sometimes because of incompetent agents, sometimes systems playing up and sometimes cross-alliance problems.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I am hoping that it's a staff training issue.

I've had an AA agent before who was adamant that her system would not allow me to check my bag onto a BA flight on a separate ticket after the AA flights.

Her supervisor, I think to save her colleagues' face, told me she as doing it as a favour to me given my OWE status so clearly no system issue and AA specifically outlines this in their policy for all pax.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Raffles
Ok, interesting.

I was told last week that ALL OW airlines will refuse to interline on separate PNRs from 1st June.

The only reason I have not covered this on HFP is that I cannot prove it.
If this indeed is true it will basically cost OW ALL my feeder business as there will be ZERO reason to use OW for short haul if connecting to OW longhaul...

I allways travel with luggage and 95% of my tickets are on separate tickets as I am based in a location with VERY little competition
Old May 23, 2016, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I've never done it at DWC but I think you'll be ok if the ground staff know how to do it, as they are normally pretty obliging there. They 'overlooked' about 30KG of excess luggage before when I was relocating back to the UK! However, my understanding is that officially QR won't check through all the way on separate tickets, but there's nothing to physically stop the agent from doing it and they are contract staff in DWC.
Thanks, hopefully I will be alright and get my bags checked through all right. If i have to re-collect them, then so be it, I have 3.5 hours to kill anyway, would jusr rather spend it relaxing in a lounge.

I will report on Thursday evening the outcome.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skba1
As someone who often travels with commercial goods that have very different customs rules it can be absolutely crucial to be able to through check luggage.

Making transit declarations in certain countries is very time consuming and difficult - may even require a broker.
There would be no impact, I presume, to checking luggage through on a single ticketed itinerary and booking a through ticket would address this
Old May 23, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Ok, interesting.

I was told last week that ALL OW airlines will refuse to interline on separate PNRs from 1st June.

The only reason I have not covered this on HFP is that I cannot prove it.
Very interesting - though not that it will change much for me anyway.

4 times in the last 12 months I've tried to get one of the agents at the F desks to interline my baggage from LHR-SIN-HKG on a BA-CX transfer booked on different PNRs. 4 times I've been told it cannot be done as the bookings were on different tickets. 4 times I pushed back to no avail. I've just resigned myself to the fact that trying to interline bags on BA to other oneworld airlines from LHR is a waste of time and energy. Never had any problems doing exactly the same thing with BA agents at outstations.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by simonspear
I had T5 check in refuse to interline to QR back in Jan. When I queried this with a manager they didn't even know who QR were or what OW was (I kid you not). It was like banging your head against a brick wall but eventually they managed to find another member of staff who sorted it all out. I would not necessarily believe this is a policy change when the staff training appears so woeful.
Identical experience here in January. When I fed this back to BA via feedback, it was ignored and they still haven't responded.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Angry

Excuse the stupid question but will this rule apply in reverse too? I started a thread a week ago about some flights I have coming up - DPS to HKG on CX, connecting to HKG to LHR on BA. Only 2 hours between landing and departing again so if I have to go through Immigration at HKG, collect bags, trawl round to Departures and check in again, it is going to be very tight.

I could do without the stress in the middle of the night with 2 young boys, but there is nothing else I can do. HKG-LHR is return leg of 2-4-1 and I can't change the booking to the later flight as availability has long since gone.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: Finnair Gold, BA Gold, LH FTL
Obviously this is only a question of policies and if the person at check-in is willing to do it.
There seems to be no technical issues.

I flew with QR in J this week MEL-DOH-ARN and had a separate connection from ARN to ZRH with Swiss

Although I was expecting nothing I asked at check in if they could check my baggage all the way to Zurich, and the very nice lady from QR looked up my flights and checked all bags through !

Arrived with no trouble in Zurich

I know this was lucky and absolutely exception, but at least I know now that it is not technically impossible :-)

Holger
Old May 23, 2016, 5:44 am

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There would be no impact, I presume, to checking luggage through on a single ticketed itinerary and booking a through ticket would address this
You missed my next post in the thread. It is of course more likely to work on a single ticket itinerary, but it is not guaranteed to work!

Especially cross-alliance tickets tend to cause issues, but also OW systems can play up. Most recently at OSL when the just installed FLY on CX ticket OSL-LHR-HKG they could only tag to LHR. Because these are countries where I know the customs rules I wasn't worried - but if this happens on a through ticket that requires me to use a broker (can easily cost £500) I feel very inclined to try to bill the airline...

Of course one should not rely on through checked bags on separate bookings, but it is extremely useful when it works!

Same as of course short checking bags when necessary etc. I just short checked a few bags today as I needed part of the contents at my 4hr layover for a business meeting (demonstration equipment and samples).
Old May 23, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew KUL-DOH-AMS(QR)-LHR(BA) recently and bags were all checked through with no problem by the QR agent at KUL.

Be a shame if the interlining on seperate tickets is being scrapped on 1st June
Old May 23, 2016, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
But this is not always possible. I frequently have itineraries long booked and then a need to add another trip much later whereby a rebooking as single itinerary would be prohibitive, or flights to from different zones not compatible on half return fares which makes a single itinerary unviable cost wise compared to a straight return + added single. Many of us work with budget constraints be they personal or professional.
Old May 23, 2016, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by wb1969
Excuse the stupid question but will this rule apply in reverse too? I started a thread a week ago about some flights I have coming up - DPS to HKG on CX, connecting to HKG to LHR on BA. Only 2 hours between landing and departing again so if I have to go through Immigration at HKG, collect bags, trawl round to Departures and check in again, it is going to be very tight.

I could do without the stress in the middle of the night with 2 young boys, but there is nothing else I can do. HKG-LHR is return leg of 2-4-1 and I can't change the booking to the later flight as availability has long since gone.
Firstly, HKG is one of the best airports in the world in luggage handling, in my experience. This means your bags should arrive in time for checking them in again, unless you are particularily delayed.

Secondly it is CX that is checking you in - while there is no guarantee they will do it I have never been denied (and quite often have CX Avios tickets out of HKG with separate bookings hkg to Europe or US).
Old May 23, 2016, 5:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by orbitmic
But this is not always possible. I frequently have itineraries long booked and then a need to add another trip much later whereby a rebooking as single itinerary would be prohibitive, or flights to from different zones not compatible on half return fares which makes a single itinerary unviable cost wise compared to a straight return + added single. Many of us work with budget constraints be they personal or professional.
It may be expensive, but if it is critical - as the poster implied - that it be checked through, then this is a solution

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.