Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just booked my first BA First

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2016, 11:23 pm

Programs: QFF WP/OWE
Originally Posted by paul4040
The crew should know from the iPad and show you around the seat and features.

If they don't do that, you can ask them to show you how the seat works and drop the fact that it's your first F into the conversation.
Would it say that it's my first First? Hopefully not that it's an award ticket!
Old May 20, 2016, 11:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PaulST
Would it say that it's my first First? Hopefully not that it's an award ticket!
The iPad should pick it up (not reliably so), it also picks up that it's a redemption ticket, but that makes little difference, redemptions in First are not exactly unusual and the onboard crew always regard it as "as good as" a revenue ticket. If it was a full revenue ticket your ground experience may be slightly better, but probably won't be.

However from all the posts I've read here about this, I would urge you to mention it specifically to the crew member of your section that it is your first First, since there is a massive difference in approach to someone who is a regular in First: these passengers typically don't want to be disturbed too often.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The iPad should pick it up (not reliably so), it also picks up that it's a redemption ticket, but that makes little difference, redemptions in First are not exactly unusual and the onboard crew always regard it as "as good as" a revenue ticket. If it was a full revenue ticket your ground experience may be slightly better, but probably won't be.

However from all the posts I've read here about this, I would urge you to mention it specifically to the crew member of your section that it is your first First, since there is a massive difference in approach to someone who is a regular in First: these passengers typically don't want to be disturbed too often.
Riteo thanks. I'll be sure to post up a (video) trip report.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:23 am

Haven't managed a first First yet (hoping for 2017) but in our first CW the crew did make a point of acknowledging it, obviously from the iPad.
Old May 23, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: British Airways
Hi all, I was about to post a very similar thread so I thought I'd add my comments here.

I've just booked my first BA F flight for July later this year. I'll be flying from Edinburgh into LHR (economy) and then catching a 777 to Doha in First.

I've always wondered if I should tell the crew it's my first BA F flight and if that would make them extra helpful or if they'd consider it rather amateur? I guess I'm someone nervous about if I'll get a good crew since I seem to read a fair bit of negativity about them.

Any tips to maximise my time in the Concorde Lounge? I've got a 3hr layover between the flights so I'm hoping to spend a bit of time there.

On a side note, I'm flying out of Doha in an A350 so I'm equally excited about that (fingers are crossed it doesn't get subbed for a 788, which has been happening a lot recently with QR57).
Just go and enjoy the Concorde Room for what it is - by far the nicest of the lounges at Terminal 5, but it's not perfect. I've always really enjoyed visiting it as not a major fan of the other BA lounges at T5 as they are very crowded most of the time.

Sitting at the bar is good for people watching - I've have sat opposite a few celebs (Liam Neeson being one of them) in there the few times I've been in there - and the bar guys are usually very friendly - you get the occasional good cocktail maker too! If you've got time to kill go and have a sit down meal in there - you will be served (and staff have always been very polite in my experience), rather than having to select from a buffet.

The Elemis Spa is quite nice for treatments (yes I am female but I've seen lots of men there too...), and the nice thing with First is that you can book a treatment and a time slot up to 4 weeks in advance - everyone else has to take pot luck on the day so if you fancy something there, it's worth booking something...and I would call them rather than filling in the form on the website to do so if you're considering it.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew my first First on Friday night, unfortunately PHL to LHR so missed out on the CCR. Did enjoy the First lounge at PHL tho, and the numerous walks of shame out of the First dining area for quite a few GCHs allowed on the First side but only to the CW food. They are ruthless in their evictions
Not sure if it's the introvert in me, but I found the onboard experience a bit much - yes a bigger personal space and nicer seat than CW but I am never that comfortable being over-waited on and found it a bit uncomfortable. I know it's part of the service but I am perfectly capable of turning the dial and making the seat go flat myself. I can see how it could appeal tho. I'm sure it being a night flight didn't enhance the experience as it was mostly slept through.
Although counting myself extremely lucky to have had the experience, not sure I'd rush for it again unless it was another First-cheaper-than-CW ticket!
Old May 23, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA - Bronze : HHonnors Gold : Hyatt Gold
I've got my first First on the 1st June with the return on the 7th June:

12.10 GLA-LHR
17.15 LHR-YVR (BA85)

I paid for J in the recent sale and used avios to ugrade to F both ways.
2K on the outward and 3K on the return

I'm looking forward to the experience, but not looking forward to the tranfers between T5 & T3, and also missing out on the CCR

Am I allowed to use the CCR on the return journey, when I transfer from T3 to T5 for my flight to GLA?

Also, there may be someone else on the outward flight that I know (they're wouldn't be in F) so would I be allowed to guest them into Galleries First at T3?
Old May 23, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gorcat
Am I allowed to use the CCR on the return journey, when I transfer from T3 to T5 for my flight to GLA?
Yes, but keep hold of your boarding pass just in case.

Originally Posted by Gorcat
Also, there may be someone else on the outward flight that I know (they're wouldn't be in F) so would I be allowed to guest them into Galleries First at T3?
Yes, or for that matter anyone on any OneWorld flight from T3.
Old May 23, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by T8191
Is this trip now missing any other forms of transportation?

Trains, Planes, Cars and Boat-planes? Do they rent bicycles over there?
www.vancouversoaring.com ^
Old May 25, 2016, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Drlucy
Just go and enjoy the Concorde Room for what it is - by far the nicest of the lounges at Terminal 5, but it's not perfect. I've always really enjoyed visiting it as not a major fan of the other BA lounges at T5 as they are very crowded most of the time.

Sitting at the bar is good for people watching - I've have sat opposite a few celebs (Liam Neeson being one of them) in there the few times I've been in there - and the bar guys are usually very friendly - you get the occasional good cocktail maker too! If you've got time to kill go and have a sit down meal in there - you will be served (and staff have always been very polite in my experience), rather than having to select from a buffet.

The Elemis Spa is quite nice for treatments (yes I am female but I've seen lots of men there too...), and the nice thing with First is that you can book a treatment and a time slot up to 4 weeks in advance - everyone else has to take pot luck on the day so if you fancy something there, it's worth booking something...and I would call them rather than filling in the form on the website to do so if you're considering it.
Thanks for the tips.

Another rookie question, but how do I actually raise the fact that it's my first time in First class? "Here's your seat Mr Stewart" "Ah thank you, it's my first First flight with BA you know"??
Old May 25, 2016, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Thanks for the tips.

Another rookie question, but how do I actually raise the fact that it's my first time in First class? "Here's your seat Mr Stewart" "Ah thank you, it's my first First flight with BA you know"??
Taking photos of everything, playing with everything and having a huge grin all the time usually gives it away
Old May 25, 2016, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Thanks for the tips.

My first time in CW when I was welcomed on board I just said "Thank you, it's my first time in Club and I'm so excited about it!" The CC were lovely and really looked after me so I'll be taking the same approach for my first First
Old May 25, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: Meh
Flew F to HKG recently for first time in a while.
My take:
Saturday evening made security a breeze
CCR - sat down for food. Starter was good, the steak like something I would expect to get in a chain restaurant. White wine and water with starter, request for wine list for main course forgotten about, and wait staff arguing amongst each other dictated that I did not bother. Sat outside on balcony but after 20 mins left and sat at bar as there was no service. Meh especially when I compare to Wing, foot wise, service wise.
Flight - Very friendly crew, IFE good, seat fine. No complaints.

I never pay for F, either upgrade or in this case BA Upgraded me buying R class return. So really am happy.

Have to say on return from PEK, first time in UD in a couple of years, I would rate UD and F very closely. That is another argument.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:08 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Thanks for the tips.

As I mentioned upthread, when CC greet you they should mention it's your first First. If they don't, just ask them to show you the seat features. If they don't twig it by then, drop it in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.