Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken seat in J

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I'm surprised that you were offered only 30,000 Avios as you were offered the correct amount of eVouchers, 40,000 it is and I don't think you will get any more.
That would depend on how far OP wants to take this. I'd be going for far more Avios (if they were useful to me), or a refund of the POUG fee.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I flew ORD-LHR last night and my seat would not recline despite the best efforts of the crew. J was full, as was F so I had no real alternative other than to lump it.

Was offered 30k Avios as compensation. Seems fair?

The CSM also mentioned an "e credit" of £ 350 as an alternative.
Both My wife and I did not have lie-flat on LHR-JFK. She got $500 eVoucher and i got 40k Avios.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:10 pm

Take the money.

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I flew ORD-LHR last night and my seat would not recline despite the best efforts of the crew. J was full, as was F so I had no real alternative other than to lump it.

Was offered 30k Avios as compensation. Seems fair?

The CSM also mentioned an "e credit" of £ 350 as an alternative.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, StarAlliance Gold
Thx for interesting thread and views. I have recently suffered broken CW seats on two consecutive BA flights:

1. CW broken table on LHR-AMM in restricted CW. I had to work despite broken table so suffered neck and back cramps for several days until I saw physio on return to the UK. BA Insurance are offering a meagre 10k Avios plus "will consider" reimbursement of a couple of physio sessions - BA Customer Relations previously offered 15k Avios so this is shocking. Perhaps BA Insurance KPIs are based on not being sued rather than customer retention / customer service?

2. Recent broken CW footstool on LHR-KUL. Fully flex/refundable CW. Kept slipping down during flight as I slept and fully on the floor by the end of the flight. Cabin crew eventually noticed and tried to fix but to no avail. Cust Relns have offered 12.5k Avios.

I'm a BAEC Gold member. Both offers seem really quite insulting.

Questions:
a) any ideas why their opening offer to me is derisory?
b) what I should do about this to get fair treatment, and what fair compensation might be?
c) who can I escalate this to, esp BA Insurance/Legal's offer - do we know of anyone in BA who can review their handling of this (apparently Customer Relations have no authority over BA Insurance?)?

All feedback much appreciated.

Best regards.

Last edited by bonoglobetrotter; Mar 15, 2016 at 9:30 am
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Everybody's different but you had back pains and cramps from working on your laptop on your ... lap?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Looking at the chart we use for service recovery you have been offered the correct amount for broken foot stool, for the broken table you have actually been offered over the standard which is 6,500.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:37 am

Looking at the chart we use for service recovery you have been offered the correct amount for broken foot stool, for the broken table you have actually been offered over the standard which is 6,500.
Thanks that provides helpful context. However, surely the footstool being broken = broken flatbed? I'd have thought the foot stool is integral to the flatbed product? Strange they should offer 12,500 for broken footstool and 40,000 for non-functioning flat bed? Both result in no flat bed when I've paid for one. Any ideas how to resolve this?

@AAtticus There is a wide side table which I used together with various hunched poses over my lap. Tried to rotate between the two to ease cramps but ...

All a bit of a let down really - broken CW product on both the old BMI plane to AMM and then on the brand new Dreamliner to KUL.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by AAtticus
Everybody's different but you had back pains and cramps from working on your laptop on your ... lap?
I think someone needs to work on their posture and do some stretch exercises.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by bonoglobetrotter
Thanks that provides helpful context. However, surely the footstool being broken = broken flatbed? I'd have thought the foot stool is integral to the flatbed product? Strange they should offer 12,500 for broken footstool and 40,000 for non-functioning flat bed? Both result in no flat bed when I've paid for one. Any ideas how to resolve this?

@AAtticus There is a wide side table which I used together with various hunched poses over my lap. Tried to rotate between the two to ease cramps but ...

All a bit of a let down really - broken CW product on both the old BMI plane to AMM and then on the brand new Dreamliner to KUL.
Like it or not BA differentiates between no recline and foot rest broken, sorry.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by hiima
I think someone needs to work on their posture and do some stretch exercises.
I was fit and healthy at the start of the flight. Having paid to have a table to work on during a day flight, I ended up having to hunch over my lap or using the side table - as you can imagine I felt rather letdown ...
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:59 am

Like it or not BA differentiates between no recline and foot rest broken, sorry.
Thanks for the feedback and taking time to write - even though BA's position is disappointing and does not make sense to me. Any one else prepared to share their views, over and above mikeyfly's other thread below?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post26335605
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:13 am

I would have said that 6,500 for the table was fair. However 12,500 for the footstool sounds mean if it meant you could not create a flat bed.

The footstool model has always been flawed IMHO. It only takes someone to use it as a seat and that's it.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well folks - I have just been offered 10k for a seat which wasn't cleaned before I boarded and also which didn't recline- crew had to force it into the flat position - cash CW ticket.

They appear to be tightening up. It's derisory in my opinion as it was a night flight Eastbound TATL on a new 787. I will be writing back...
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
didn't recline
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
crew had to force it into the flat position - cash CW ticket.
I had the same issue on a month-old CX A350. Apart from being asked by ground staff if I was a "real passenger" (as opposed to being upgraded) I didn't really expect much for the inconvenience except the PDB Champagne.

Of course BA should do better, but it seems like 10k is actually the standard for spending the entire flight in a seated position, rather than just having to wait for the crew to fix something so in your position, I'd quit while I was ahead.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Cymro
I had the same issue on a month-old CX A350. Apart from being asked by ground staff if I was a "real passenger" (as opposed to being upgraded) I didn't really expect much for the inconvenience except the PDB Champagne.

Of course BA should do better, but it seems like 10k is actually the standard for spending the entire flight in a seated position, rather than just having to wait for the crew to fix something so in your position, I'd quit while I was ahead.
Thanks for your insight. However the seat is one of the key differentiators for CW. If it doesn't work, as mine didn't, then I don't think I'm ahead in any way in this instance with 10,000 Avios. I wanted to sleep, but I didn't want to have to just accept "fully flat" for the entire journey and keep running to cabin crew whenever I wanted to change the seat a little, especially when that broken seat cost thousands to hire for the 7 hours I was in it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.