Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB PLATINO, AB GOLD, HH DIAMOND
After few years being GGL card holder, next month I will go down to Gold after a very complicated personal year. One of the privilege that I would like to keep is the Hilton Honors Diamond Card. I use a lot, but cuttently I have no points in my account. I want to know if is posible to close that account with diamond status, open a new one, and then contact with the GGL line for they nominate me on this new account for diamond before my status finished. That will give me a new card for 2 years instead of the actually have that is only until March 2018. Is that correct?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by PLATINOIB
After few years being GGL card holder, next month I will go down to Gold after a very complicated personal year. One of the privilege that I would like to keep is the Hilton Honors Diamond Card. I use a lot, but cuttently I have no points in my account. I want to know if is posible to close that account with diamond status, open a new one, and then contact with the GGL line for they nominate me on this new account for diamond before my status finished. That will give me a new card for 2 years instead of the actually have that is only until March 2018. Is that correct?
Not based on my personal experience... When moving between Canada and U.K., Hilton had issues with technology updating the accounts for intercontinental move (same as Avis actually) so th e rep suggested opening a new account in UK, which I did. When contacting GGL to update, I was told that I couldn't do that, and they could only have original number to re-nominate.

So have two accounts now in different countries of domicile, one with points and one with Diamond status that gets re nominated each year. Royal pain, but from GGLs side, it will be a "no" :-(
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL
First, a big thanks to dylanks and other contributors for this very helpful guide.

I have a few questions as I'm about to reach GGL for the first time:

• The flight that takes me over 5,000 TPs is operated by AA and only four days before my TP year end. As I understand it I should get two jokers immediately that will expire if not used by the end of my current year, but I'm concerned that they won't actually post before they are supposed to expire. Is there a danger I'll never be able to use these?
  • I understand that when using the jokers the GGL member doesn't need to be travelling, but is it possible to use the award spaces created to book with someone else's Avios? I want to use some Amex 2-for-1 vouchers but they are in my wife's name so she would have to make the booking.
  • If I retain GGL next year with >3,000 but <5,000 TPs, are there any benefits I lose apart from the CCR card (and obviously the 2x GUF1 if I don't get 3,500)?

Any help with any of these much appreciated!

Last edited by vindaloo; Sep 13, 2017 at 3:35 am
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by vindaloo
First, a big thanks to dylanks and other contributors for this very helpful guide.

I have a few questions as I'm about to reach GGL for the first time:

• The flight that takes me over 5,000 TPs is operated by AA and only four days before my TP year end. As I understand it I should get two jokers immediately that will expire if not used by the end of my current year, but I'm concerned that they won't actually post before they are supposed to expire. Is there a danger I'll never be able to use these?
  • I understand that when using the jokers the GGL member doesn't need to be travelling, but is it possible to use the award spaces created to book with someone else's Avios? I want to use some Amex 2-for-1 vouchers but they are in my wife's name so she would have to make the booking.
  • If I retain GGL next year with >3,000 but <5,000 TPs, are there any benefits I lose apart from the CCR card (and obviously the 2x GUF1 if I don't get 3,500)?

Any help with any of these much appreciated!
I don't know the answer to 2, but the answer to 3 is, I believe, none.

For 1, my assessment would be that, unfortunately, there is a good chance that you won't get to use those jokers in time. It depends on i) how long after the AA flight the TPs post, and ii) how long after the TPs post your status formally upgrades in the system to GGL. I would think that it's improbable that this will happen within those 4 days. I also think it very unlikely indeed that there will be any leeway from the GGL to backdate the jokers to the previous TP year, on the grounds that you qualified for GGL status 4 days before the end of that TP year.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
How does GGL work with respect to a holiday booking?

Got one booked and put a deposit down, but my plans have changed a little so it's not quite as practical now as it was when I booked a while ago (well out of the 24hr period) and changing destination will add £££ due to current higher prices.

Know I can cancel normal bookings without charge, but does the same apply to a holiday booking should push come to shove?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:27 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by xenole
How does GGL work with respect to a holiday booking?

Got one booked and put a deposit down, but my plans have changed a little so it's not quite as practical now as it was when I booked a while ago (well out of the 24hr period) and changing destination will add £££ due to current higher prices.

Know I can cancel normal bookings without charge, but does the same apply to a holiday booking should push come to shove?
As a GGL you are subject to all normal fare rule charges for changes and cancellations.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vindaloo
I asked about this a few months ago, so my joker and another person's 241 & avios, and was told no.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I asked about this a few months ago, so my joker and another person's 241 & avios, and was told no.
Thanks. I'd better apply for my own Amex and get cracking with the spending then...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
So have two accounts now in different countries of domicile, one with points and one with Diamond status that gets re nominated each year. Royal pain, but from GGLs side, it will be a "no" :-(
Hilton does now allow you to transfer points between accounts free of charge, though...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by Cymro
Hilton does now allow you to transfer points between accounts free of charge, though...
Thanks, didn't know that... status and points!?! :-)

although won't help the guy who's ever post I answered, but your answer definitely helps me! Cheers!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, M&M SEN, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
So I've requalified at 3500 TPs, the next membership year has started but the new partner cards nominations are nowhwre to be seen. Anybody had a similar experience recently?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by wmaciej
So I've requalified at 3500 TPs, the next membership year has started but the new partner cards nominations are nowhwre to be seen. Anybody had a similar experience recently?
Yep, same problem here. Hadn't realised until I saw your post and went to look.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I have successfully used two x 241(both I my wife's name) with a joker couple of weeks ago. The agent had to get authorisation from the supervisor and talk to my wife for Data protection purposes but other than that, no problem.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ds2016
I have successfully used two x 241(both I my wife's name) with a joker couple of weeks ago. The agent had to get authorisation from the supervisor and talk to my wife for Data protection purposes but other than that, no problem.
Are you in a household account?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC GfL/GGL/CCR, BA Amex, Quidco, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Reinstated Gold)
Interesting, I made a booking recently using a Joker and had to use both my own Amex 2-4-1's, rather than 1 of mine and 1 of Mrs O's ("Because you are using a Joker").....I might call up for a review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.