Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold Guest List beginner's guide

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ermen
Is there a way to get the joker's expiry extended?

On my current flying pattern, I expect to hit the 5,000 TP for the first time on 1 Jan 2018. My TP year expiry is 8 Jan 2018.. so essentially I probably only have 1 week or so to "use it or lose it"? Which is a shame really...
congrats on getting there. Just book a flight to the region you are thinking about going to, before 8 Jan 2018 (for us we always book west coast) on a date as far out as possible up to 12 months. So in theory you can book a flight for 7 Jan 2019, using that Joker.

When you know where you want to go, you can always change it. Failing that, just cancel it for a full refund. As long as you have a ticket before 8 Jan 2018, all is good to change.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by crazyarmadillo
congrats on getting there. Just book a flight to the region you are thinking about going to, before 8 Jan 2018 (for us we always book west coast) on a date as far out as possible up to 12 months. So in theory you can book a flight for 7 Jan 2019, using that Joker.

When you know where you want to go, you can always change it. Failing that, just cancel it for a full refund. As long as you have a ticket before 8 Jan 2018, all is good to change.
Ah that's a great tip.
Presume though you are not able to change routings (i was thinking of using this for either SYD-SIN or HKG-LHR for me... but still undecided)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by ermen
Ah that's a great tip.
Presume though you are not able to change routings (i was thinking of using this for either SYD-SIN or HKG-LHR for me... but still undecided)
well we have changed routings. For example, I know it sounds crazy, but we had a joker trip LHR LAX - but due to lots of other flying that year, had to change it 11 months later to LHR EDI LHR same day. Just a fun day flying trip.

A waste of a joker, for some maybe, but it was a fun day out! I thinks the change we made is 'official', unless they were doing us a favour, which I doubt tbh.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
A couple of Joker queries for the well-informed, if I may:

1) When booking a return trip, and seeking to apply a Joker, is it possible to use half the number of Avios to upgrade only one leg of the trip? The outbound leg does not have space in the requisite fare class and so cannot be upgraded using the Joker.

2) If BA opens up the necessary fare class availability closer to the flight date, is it then possible to upgrade the outbound leg at that time with the payment of the extra Avios, using the previously applied Joker?

Thanks, and apologies if these questions have already been asked in the previous 63 pages.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
A couple of Joker queries for the well-informed, if I may:

1) When booking a return trip, and seeking to apply a Joker, is it possible to use half the number of Avios to upgrade only one leg of the trip? The outbound leg does not have space in the requisite fare class and so cannot be upgraded using the Joker.

2) If BA opens up the necessary fare class availability closer to the flight date, is it then possible to upgrade the outbound leg at that time with the payment of the extra Avios, using the previously applied Joker?

Thanks, and apologies if these questions have already been asked in the previous 63 pages.
Even if the fare class doesn't appear to be available on EF, it's always worth phoning the GGL line and asking, as sometimes they'll give you the space anyway. I've certainly used a Joker for 2 seats in F when there was no A class showing before.

But yes, you can upgrade just one leg of a return/multi-leg itinerary using a Joker if you wish.

2) Yes.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Even if the fare class doesn't appear to be available on EF, it's always worth phoning the GGL line and asking, as sometimes they'll give you the space anyway. I've certainly used a Joker for 2 seats in F when there was no A class showing before.

But yes, you can upgrade just one leg of a return/multi-leg itinerary using a Joker if you wish.

2) Yes.
They previously could ask rev mgmt to open seats if not available in D for instance but this has now been banned and GGL agents are reported to their manager by rev mgmt if they attempt to do it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
They previously could ask rev mgmt to open seats if not available in D for instance but this has now been banned and GGL agents are reported to their manager by rev mgmt if they attempt to do it.
Where has that information come from?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Where has that information come from?
A lazy GGL phone agent, probably...
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
A lazy GGL phone agent, probably...
An email response from GGL after three telephone calls to agents I've dealt with a number of times previously. Happy for someone to correct me but it does seem to have changed recently.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thanks @TabTraveller, I ask only because it's the first I've heard of it. Shame.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL
Had a quick question regarding nominating for partner cards.

My year just reset on August 9th and I was caught up in the delays a few months back so my GGL status was extended to September 30th 2019.

I was under the impression I would receive new partner card nominations after my year reset. When access the nomination screen though, it just shows me the 3 people I nominated last membership year and does not allow new nominations.

I called the GGL line to enquire but they informed me that they will only reset once the membership year of the previous nominees expires.

Does that sound correct?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jazzyjeff
Had a quick question regarding nominating for partner cards.

My year just reset on August 9th and I was caught up in the delays a few months back so my GGL status was extended to September 30th 2019.

I was under the impression I would receive new partner card nominations after my year reset. When access the nomination screen though, it just shows me the 3 people I nominated last membership year and does not allow new nominations.

I called the GGL line to enquire but they informed me that they will only reset once the membership year of the previous nominees expires.

Does that sound correct?
No it isn't correct. You should get new nominations available to give out if you requlify as a GGL once you pass your renewal date.

Can I ask when did you first qualify as a GGL? Was it within the last year?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by KARFA
No it isn't correct. You should get new nominations available to give out if you requlify as a GGL once you pass your renewal date.

Can I ask when did you first qualify as a GGL? Was it within the last year?
Thanks for the reply Karfa.

I just hit GGL for the first time at the start of this year. Does that make a difference?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Yes. Jokers are as soon as you hit GGL and as soon as your membership year ends. Partner cards are as soon as you hit GGL and you don't get any more till your year ends and your next year ends too.
jazzyjeff likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jazzyjeff
Thanks for the reply Karfa.

I just hit GGL for the first time at the start of this year. Does that make a difference?
That explains it. See the section in the reference posts at the start of the thread:

Also note that when you first qualify for GGL, you will not receive a new batch of partner cards until you qualify again for GGL. So reaching GGL right before the end of your tier point year will not earn you double the number of partner cards in a short stretch of time.
So what this means is if you first qualify as a GGL say in February 2017 and your renewal is 9 August 2017, you will receive some partner card nominations in February but you will not receive any more on 9 August 2017. If you requalify for GGL (in this case via the recent extension) your next nominations which actually be available on 9 August 2018.
jazzyjeff likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.