Old Dec 30, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Print Wikipost

A Guide to Connecting at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Managed to have more of a pole around the new T3 FCC yesterday. There are a few points I go wrong in the original post I made about it (for example you don't have to go through security in order to take a route out to landside), and there are some new things I found (see the "Short connect" corridor which is a much quicker route to the gates/lounges and bypasses the new duty free shops).

I have now amended the post which covers the new T3 FCC and added a lot more photos. Any comments or suggestions, just let me know.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29998308-post383.html
Thanks for this, KARFA - very helpful as always.

Have you see any staff manning the entrance to the Short Connect passageway? I wonder if they will place anyone there to filter people using it. Clearly it is the preferable route for anyone not wanting to shop.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Have you see any staff manning the entrance to the Short Connect passageway?
Nope. There are HAL staff wondering around generally in that lobby area and it is not beyond the realms of possibility they may ask you where you are going if heading for the short connect corridor. However, those on a short connection are specifically advised to take that route so I guess if you look like you are moving with some purpose, don't stop, and say you are on a short connection that would be sufficient.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
Managed to have more of a poke around the new T3 FCC yesterday. There are a few points I go wrong in the original post I made about it (for example you don't have to go through security in order to take a route out to landside), and there are some new things I found (see the "Short connect" corridor which is a much quicker route to the gates/lounges and bypasses the new duty free shops).

I have now amended the post which covers the new T3 FCC and added a lot more photos. Any comments or suggestions, just let me know.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29998308-post383.html
Thanks for an update! I was transferring through T3 over a week ago and didn't notice the short connection route nor exits to the Arrivals/other terminals. Short connection route will be very useful for those attending the pool party in Phoenix
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Pass
T5 to T2 Transfer

Hello

I am looking at flying on BA1455 (17.30-18:55) to LHR and then TK1984 (22:15)

Do I have time to change terminals, check in luggage etc or am I cutting it too fine?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
On separate tickets I assume, a little tight for me.

HBO is the way forwards !
Old Aug 17, 2018, 3:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tomparskate
Hello

I am looking at flying on BA1455 (17.30-18:55) to LHR and then TK1984 (22:15)

Do I have time to change terminals, check in luggage etc or am I cutting it too fine?
Always good to provide the route, since though this was one flight number I've memorised, not all of us have memorised all of them. BA1455 is a domestic EDI-LHR service so no immigration process and with checked luggage you can be out landside in 30 minutes if all goes to plan. Then best take the tube to T2 since the tube station is nearer the T2 terminal. So 1 hour would be a bad case time for T5 arrival to T2 check-in. So do-able, and with some buffer too, but the separate tickets issue is a risk if you are an hour or more late.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: VS Gold
Whilst it's likely I will never need to connect through T3 the new FCC guide was very informative. It looks much better than the old one - thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

Is anyone privy to the plan with the now old FCC centre? Presumably it will be deconstructed and revert back to Gate 23?
KARFA and flying4workNfun like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SlimpyJones
Whilst it's likely I will never need to connect through T3 the new FCC guide was very informative. It looks much better than the old one - thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

Is anyone privy to the plan with the now old FCC centre? Presumably it will be deconstructed and revert back to Gate 23?
Many thanks for your comments SlimpyJones.

Good question on the old FCC, I have no idea and returning it back to a stand would seem sensible. Hopefully someone can give details.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA GOLD,DELTA DM, IC RA , HILTON GOLD, NAT. EE
Hello , thanks for all the detailed info on LHR . I have not flown thru London in the last decade .
Looking for some advice . I will transit thru this Saturday . 2 separate reservations . Arrive on
DL 16 , Scheduled 6:40 am , into terminal 3. No checked bags .
2nd flight is BA 848 to Zagrab departing 8:25 am from terminal 5 . US Passport .
Is this connection possible in 95 minutes ? I am worried , after reading all the posts .
Do I need to clear British immigration and customs before leaving Terminal # 3 ?
Can I stay airside ? Is bus or train better to transfer to Terminal #5 ?
thank you for your help.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
1. Stay airside at T3
2. Take airside transfer bus to T5
3. Follow purple signs through flight connections centre (FCC) when emerging at T5 - you will need a BP to do this, so make sure to carry out OLCI for the Zagreb flight in advance and have a printed or mobile BP.
4. Pass through security
5. Go to gate shown for your Zagreb flight, likely to be from T5A or T5B, possibly T5C - either of the latter will necessitate transfer within T5
6. No need to clear UK immigration if you proceed as in 1-5 above
7. You have to pass through FCC at least 35 mins before your Zagreb flight to meet conformance - failure to do so will lead to you being deemed a no-show for your Zagreb flight, with all the consequences that entails

Don't hang around if this is a 95 minute "connection"

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by darby1970
Hello , thanks for all the detailed info on LHR . I have not flown thru London in the last decade .
Looking for some advice . I will transit thru this Saturday . 2 separate reservations . Arrive on
DL 16 , Scheduled 6:40 am , into terminal 3. No checked bags .
2nd flight is BA 848 to Zagrab departing 8:25 am from terminal 5 . US Passport .
Is this connection possible in 95 minutes ? I am worried , after reading all the posts .
Do I need to clear British immigration and customs before leaving Terminal # 3 ?
Can I stay airside ? Is bus or train better to transfer to Terminal #5 ?
thank you for your help.
I tend to find it takes about 45 minutes from the plane in T3 to airside in T5 so if your inbound is on time (or even delayed by 15 to 20 minutes) you have enough time minimum connection time is 90 minutes. Not that it takes 90 minutes, that includes a buffer that allows the vast majority of people to make the connection.

​​​​
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:28 pm

I’m flying from Dublin to Nice via LHR at the end of the month and I have a four hour transfer. Is it ok to go land side for a bit of fresh air or do I have to go straight through flight connections. I also have a long transfer on the return journey and hope to do the same. I’ll have a checked in bag.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That's perfectly OK to do, in both directions. Just remember to re-enter airside and thus pass security no later than 35 minutes from departure. It's particularly easy in the DUB-NCE direction since there is a direct passageway to airside bypassing the UK Border passport control, just follow the signs for Arrival / baggage reclaim. In the other direction you will need to go through passport control from NCE, but so long as you can use the e-gates it shouldn't take you very long. Some of us go landside every time rather than going via Flight Connections, the system doesn't care and it doesn't matter about checked luggage either, that will work its own way to your aircraft.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Plat
KARFA,
Thanks for the photos for the new connection center in T3.

I have tried looking thru the various threads and posts but still am not certain about this situation.

I arrive at T3 on AA .and have a 6 hr connection time until Our flight departs T5 on BA.
I am AA Platinum (One World Sapphire).
We liked the Qantas lounge in T3 and would prefer to spend more time there than in the BA Lounge in T5.

It appears that it would be possible to go through connections security in T3, spend time in the Qantas lounge, then take a route Connections bus for T5 (since it appears from the photos you have recently posted in 2018 that there are directions to connections to T5 from the shopping area in T3).

Is that possible? or will connections security at T3 tell us we need to take the bus to T5 instead and not allow us to continue into T3 to the Lounge area. From our last experience in BA lounges in T5 the food options seem much better in Qantas and Cathay lounges in T3 than in the BA lounges in T5.

Thanks for the clarification ... I have spent considerable time trying to read thru posts trying what the situation is currently with the new connections center in T3 in 2018 rather than answers for previous years.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roylee9
KARFA,
Thanks for the photos for the new connection center in T3.

I have tried looking thru the various threads and posts but still am not certain about this situation.

I arrive at T3 on AA .and have a 6 hr connection time until Our flight departs T5 on BA.
I am AA Platinum (One World Sapphire).
We liked the Qantas lounge in T3 and would prefer to spend more time there than in the BA Lounge in T5.

It appears that it would be possible to go through connections security in T3, spend time in the Qantas lounge, then take a route Connections bus for T5 (since it appears from the photos you have recently posted in 2018 that there are directions to connections to T5 from the shopping area in T3).

Is that possible? or will connections security at T3 tell us we need to take the bus to T5 instead and not allow us to continue into T3 to the Lounge area. From our last experience in BA lounges in T5 the food options seem much better in Qantas and Cathay lounges in T3 than in the BA lounges in T5.

Thanks for the clarification ... I have spent considerable time trying to read thru posts trying what the situation is currently with the new connections center in T3 in 2018 rather than answers for previous years.
Hi roylee9. Thanks for the comments. Yes it is possible. There are some recent reports in this thread.

Switching terminals in LHR for lounge use

It does seem T3 connection security will let you through and, although this isn't guaranteed, the T3 lounges do appear to allow access with a T5 bp. Do remember to leave T3 with plenty of time to make it to T5. When you get to T5 you will have to go through security again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.