Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA0208 MIA-LHR operating the new A380 Jumbo Jet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA0208 MIA-LHR operating the new A380 Jumbo Jet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Question BA0208 MIA-LHR operating the new A380 Jumbo Jet

As of 10/25/15, one of the flights traveling nonstop from MIA-LHR, flight 0208 specifically on British Airways will be operating the new A380 Jumbo Jet: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...o-A380-Service

I booked the flight in first class for two passengers and I'm very excited about experiencing this level of service and the newer first class product.

I tried reserving seats via the BA website on the plane for a travel date in July 2016 and the seat map is still displaying the 747 aircraft. I tried calling BA and letting them know, but everyone was clueless to this news and couldn't tell me how to secure my preferred seats. Also, I visited the BA First check-in counter at the MIA airport (while I was interviewing for my Global Entry) and the agent seemed lost as well. She stated that this A380 aircraft would only be operating short-term and couldn't tell me anything.

My dilemma is that I paid a ton of miles and $$$ and I want to make sure I'm getting the correct product. I'm not against the older aircraft 747, but I'd really like to be prepared for the less comfortable seats.

Seat locations are important to me as I want to know where I'll be situated. I'd like to book specific seats far in advance. With the seat chart being outdated on the BA website, counter agents being clueless, and phone customer service reps not having any answer, I'm really not sure how to proceed.

Any advice?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Both flights were to be operated by the A380 when they first announced A380 service but they have since changed it to 1 747 flight and 1 A380 - not sure which though but would that explain it?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
What aircraft does it say in MMB? Have you selected the correct day / flight for the A380.

206 and 208 are both showing 747 on a few sample dates I tried in July.

I would think the seat plan is correct at this point rather than the other way around.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by travelchic1
I'm not against the older aircraft 747, but I'd really like to be prepared for the less comfortable seats.

Any advice?
There really is no difference in comfort between the 388 and the 744 in F. Given your flight is next July, you've no chance of old first. If the seat map is still displaying the 744, then your only choice is to book a 744 seat! Calling BA is not going to change that.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:32 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Welcome to FT and the BA forum. ^

A check of the timetable shows that BA started operating the MIA route with the new A380 on the BA209/BA208 rotation from 25 Oct, but this is only for the winter season - at the end of March 2016 it reverts to both rotations (the BA207/206 & BA209/208) being B747 for the summer season. Sadly, it looks like you won't be experiencing the A380 if you're travelling next July.

One crumb of comfort maybe is that the BA208 has been experiencing all sorts of delays and operational difficulties in the few weeks since becoming an A380, at least the 747 should be more reliable.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Nov 24, 2015 at 1:39 pm
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Welcome to FT and the BA forum. ^

One crumb of comfort maybe is that the BA208 has been experiencing all sorts of delays and operational difficulties in the few weeks since becoming an A380, at least the 747 should be more reliable.
Slightly O/T, but we took 209 out last Friday and it was 1 hour late departing, chaotic boarding, offloading bags, etc. We were sent to the wrong J door and were then sent back.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC
...My dilemma is that I paid a ton of miles and $$$ and I want to make sure I'm getting the correct product. I'm not against the older aircraft 747, but I'd really like to be prepared for the less comfortable seats.

Seat locations are important to me as I want to know where I'll be situated. I'd like to book specific seats far in advance. With the seat chart being outdated on the BA website, counter agents being clueless, and phone customer service reps not having any answer, I'm really not sure how to proceed.

Any advice?
The seat exactly the same in both planes, you will just lose some space and the slightly bigger cupboard on the 747, as opposed to the A380. So, you shouldn't be less comfortable....

I don't think BA will be willing to help you - since what you actually paid for is a First class flight to your destination, and that's what you will be getting irrespective of which plane it turns out to be.

Whichever plane, the service should still be great and I'd happily swap places with you...!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
If its any consolation, my F flight in First was far more special on a 747 than on the A380. There's something special about the 747.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I booked the flight in first class for two passengers and I'm very excited about experiencing this level of service and the newer first class product.

Any advice?
Just to paraphrase what others have said; booking and paying for First ensure that you will travel in First. It does not come with a aircraft- or seat-specific guarantee. Equipment changes (both planned long-term and sudden short-notice) are always possible.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:50 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Any advice?
MMB will show the currently assigned aircraft for your flight.

MIA has an A380 service over winter before returning to 744's over summer according to the current schedule. The BA agents therefore gave you the correct information. The seats are effectively the same with the same comfort levels.

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-747-a380.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...tead-a380.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-a380-mia.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...-december.html
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by bafan
The seat exactly the same in both planes, you will just lose some space and the slightly bigger cupboard on the 747, as opposed to the A380. So, you shouldn't be less comfortable....

I don't think BA will be willing to help you - since what you actually paid for is a First class flight to your destination, and that's what you will be getting irrespective of which plane it turns out to be.

Whichever plane, the service should still be great and I'd happily swap places with you...!
Have you actually flown either of these aircraft in F? The seats and cabins aren't even remotely "the same". It would be helpful for others if you only opined on things you have actual knowledge of rather than giving your view on things where you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Sorry if this sounds harsh and I'm sure he would enjoy both seats but the A380 seat is much larger and feels considerably more private due to the higher walls around it.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Have you actually flown either of these aircraft in F? The seats and cabins aren't even remotely "the same". It would be helpful for others if you only opined on things you have actual knowledge of rather than giving your view on things where you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Sorry if this sounds harsh and I'm sure he would enjoy both seats but the A380 seat is much larger and feels considerably more private due to the higher walls around it.
+1. You beat me to it and couldn't agree more. They are not the same seat and/or experience.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:14 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Corpt
+1. You beat me to it and couldn't agree more. They are not the same seat and/or experience.
The physical seat I think uses the same base internals, same size and has the same comfort. I agree the suite/surrounds are larger and it is a better experience on the A380.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 4:46 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
It depends how much you want to fly on the 380. As it appears you have booked an Avios redemption, then this should be changeable or refundable (probably for a small fee) and then you can rebook for a date when you're more sure the A380 will be flying the route.

There is quite a difference between the product - I have just this morning come off an A380 in F and strangely enough I still prefer the 747. The higher walls feel a little claustrophobic for me - but the in flight entertainment is significantly better on the A380.

If you're fixed with your date, then assign yourselves seats anyway. If you're travelling with another person, I would recommend 2AK or 5EF on the 747 and any pair of middle seats on the A380
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Yes. Actually I have flown both types of new F seat. And old F too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.