Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Membership Year Extension To Achieve Status - When Do They Deduct The Tier Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Membership Year Extension To Achieve Status - When Do They Deduct The Tier Points?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
When I was granted an extension, I revived my status renewal but the tier points stayed in my account for the new year.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:49 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
I maintained status in year X via points earned in the extension period. The points however stayed on in my new year balance. I then maintained status in year Y based on some of those "free" points.
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
When I was granted an extension, I revived my status renewal but the tier points stayed in my account for the new year.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:09 am

Presumably they won't entertain using the extension at the beginning of the year rather than the end? I had a couple of long haul flights in the last week of my last year that's points could be useful this year....
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Well, we're having a similar query here:
My wife's TP collection year ends on 08JUL. At that time, she'll be 35TP and 2 or 3 BA flights short of retaining Silver.
we have 3 flights already booked to net about 5, 40 and 5 TP between 08JUL and 17JUL.
I've read the related threads, and as far as I understood:
1. There's no need to call ahead, only after the flights and points have posted, right? Or can I do it after the first flight within the extension period has posted?
2. Is there any reason why the extension period should not be guaranteed?
3. How long does it take for the TP to be retroactively posted and the status to be updated once all flights are completed?

Thanks for your inputs!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by papyPiHi
Well, we're having a similar query here:
My wife's TP collection year ends on 08JUL. At that time, she'll be 35TP and 2 or 3 BA flights short of retaining Silver.
we have 3 flights already booked to net about 5, 40 and 5 TP between 08JUL and 17JUL.
I've read the related threads, and as far as I understood:
1. There's no need to call ahead, only after the flights and points have posted, right? Or can I do it after the first flight within the extension period has posted?
2. Is there any reason why the extension period should not be guaranteed?
3. How long does it take for the TP to be retroactively posted and the status to be updated once all flights are completed?

Thanks for your inputs!
1. Correct, no need to call ahead. Call right after required flights/avios posts to your account.
2. Can't remember any report of anyone complaining that their request was refused.
3. BA flights usually post within 2-3 days maximum, if booked with Iberia make sure they didn't remove your BA EC number from your booking (they keep doing it on my flights booked with IB).

Went through this earlier this year when my partner had to call to ask for an extension. We've called before his year ended - was advised to call as soon as required tps post onto BA Executive Club account. BA app shown his new status the next day. 160tps (for SIN-LHR in J) were never deducted from his current year... Silver welcome pack arrived week alter, he's also got a tablet welcome on his next trip.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:33 am

1. Wrong. it might not be neccessary but you can call ahead, I did and then the extension went through
automatically when the points posted.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jonrross
Presumably they won't entertain using the extension at the beginning of the year rather than the end? I had a couple of long haul flights in the last week of my last year that's points could be useful this year....
The consensus view here: No.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Jonrross
The former BA Executive Club representative has previously advised that this is not possible. See, for example, this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24585238-post2.html
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:31 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Just a random thought. If I am just short of renewal (say by one flight) and have a few flights (say two flights) within the grace period, can I do the following?

For one of the two flights, ask the ground agent to remove my BAEC number and fly without status. Once I have flown both flights ask for an override and credit the one flight to the previous year (at this point the agent can only see the credited one).

Once that's set, claim the missing avios and TPs for the other flights, so that it will count towards the fresh year.

Every little helps. It works perfectly in my head. Any idea?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 5:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheDinge
Just a random thought. If I am just short of renewal (say by one flight) and have a few flights (say two flights) within the grace period, can I do the following?

For one of the two flights, ask the ground agent to remove my BAEC number and fly without status. Once I have flown both flights ask for an override and credit the one flight to the previous year (at this point the agent can only see the credited one).

Once that's set, claim the missing avios and TPs for the other flights, so that it will count towards the fresh year.

When are you renewing? If it is April/May/June 2020 there are reduced thresholds in place and the eligible flight requirement has been waived COVID-19 - TP reduction requirement for re-qualification [currently to June year end]

To answer your question flights do post according to the date when flown not the date claimed so it may be your trick won't work.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A number of people have come up with the same idea over the years and as far as we know they have been unsuccessful. As noted by Karfa, the flights will be posted to your account based upon the date flown. When you submit flights late (as in a new earning year) the flights are posted to your account and either simultaneously or within the next several days there is a balance adjustment and they are removed from the current year. Here are a few of threads(there are others):
Tier Points Year End Cutoff
Retroactive Credit of Tier Points (and Avios)
Possibility to change the month of membership year end?
Waiting until next membership year to claim tier point trip
KARFA likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I see what the TheDinge wants to do

Lets say the flights are on the 10th and 15th of the month I.e in the new year.

He wants to use the grace period so that the TPs for the flight on the 10th credit to his old year whilst leaving the flight on the 15th to credit to his new year.

it appears that in most cases - absent some error - that BA take all flights in the 14 day grace period and credits them to the old year (Whether all or them are needed for the old year TP count or not) and the OP wants to prevent that by only claiming for the flight on the 15th after BA has done its stuff re the flight on the 10th.

Am not sure if BAs systems - automatic or manual - would be able to pick that up.

He is not trying to get flights flown in his old year credited to their new year by delaying claiming for them.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 24, 2020 at 7:42 pm
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I see what the TheDinge wants to do

Lets say the flights are on the 10th and 15th of the month I.e in the new year.

He wants to use the grace period so that the TPs for the flight on the 10th credit to his old year whilst leaving the flight on the 15th to credit to his new year.

it appears that in most cases - absent some error - that BA take all flights in the 14 day grace period and credits them to the old year (Whether all or them are needed for the old year TP count or not) and the OP wants to prevent that by only claiming for the flight on the 15th after BA has done its stuff re the flight on the 10th.

Am not sure if BAs systems - automatic or manual - would be able to pick that up.

OP is not trying to get flights flown in his old year credited to their new year by delaying claiming for them.
Thank you for clarifying! Yes I was speaking in the context of grace period I am not trying to rollover TP to be credited the next year, instead I am trying to split flights within the grace period up so that they go to different membership years. Given how manual the process is and there is no back-checking I suspect this can work.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you for clarifying! Yes I was speaking in the context of grace period I am not trying to rollover TP to be credited the next year, instead I am trying to split flights within the grace period up so that they go to different membership years. Given how manual the process is and there is no back-checking I suspect this can work.
Ok, I get it now. But, if you are only one flight short of requalifying then Karfa's comments regarding reduced tier point requirements would seem to be apt. Depending upon when your year ends, will you really need to worry about this? Even though the reduced tier point levels are only currently applicable up until June, it seems likely that BA will apply reduced levels for others whose year is impacted by cover-19 issues.

As far as whether the actual scheme will work, it might. But it also might not be needed as the last few years many have reported that BAEC has not removed the tier points earned during the extension that are applied to the previous year.
KARFA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.