Wiki Posts
Search

Tier Points Year End Cutoff

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Tier Points Year End Cutoff

Hi.

​My Tier Points collection year ends 8th Jul. If I have a journey solely on BA metal and my last return leg is on 8th July, will this flight count towards my tier points for this year? It's quite important to us as it gets us moved up a tier.

​​​Thank you.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Regardless of when it eventually posts, anything which departs up to midnight on the 8th counts to your current year. Anything which departs from midnight onwards on the 9th counts to your next year.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi.

​My Tier Points collection year ends 8th Jul. If I have a journey solely on BA metal and my last return leg is on 8th July, will this flight count towards my tier points for this year? It's quite important to us as it gets us moved up a tier.

​​​Thank you.
There's unofficial two-week grace period at TP year end.

Your 8 July TPs will post after your year end, but should still count. Wait for your 8 July TPs to post. Then call up BAEC and state your case if there's a problem.

Another option: wait two weeks after 8 July and see if it all sorts itself out automatically.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
@KARFA as always spot on, but not being an expert, and not personally having been in a position of leaving it so tight for a status upgrade/retention, and knowing BA Systems are not always the most reliable, my advice would be:

take a screenshot of your TP’s etc on the app the day before the reset, also of BP’s for the flights before the reset date but due to post afterwards. I’m sure this might make things easier on the likely phone calls / e-comms you might need to involve yourself in if it goes awry. This should hopefully account for even the most difficult potential beaurocrat / system says no you may face, (though my experience has shown vast majority not to be like that)

hope for the best / plan for the worst....?

newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by newyorklondon
There's unofficial two-week grace period at TP year end.
Although the grace period does exist, the OP’s flight is on 8 July so there is no need to rely on it - hence why I didn’t mention it. Even if the flight does post a week or two after 8th it will still automatically count towards the previous year without any need to rely on the two week grace period.

The grace period is only if you want flight actually flown up to two weeks after 8th to count to the previous year due to status.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), IHG Rewards (Gold Elite), Marriot (Gold Elite), HHonors (Gold Elite), SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by KARFA

Although the grace period does exist, the OP’s flight is on 8 July so there is no need to rely on it - hence why I didn’t mention it. Even if the flight does post a week or two after 8th it will still automatically count towards the previous year without any need to rely on the two week grace period.

The grace period is only if you want flight actually flown up to two weeks after 8th to count to the previous year due to status.
I’m interested @KARFA in your experience (and hence my advice to the OP), but in your vast experience, will the BA systems actually recognise it automatically or can they expect a telecon/e-mail follow up to make it stick? I know what my guess would be lol!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:19 pm

There's the 'bonus' TP aspect whereby post year-end TPs (posted in the grace period) can be both credited to the prior year for status, and the current earning year. I'm not sure it's meant to happen, but it does seem to fairly frequently.

Mind you, I've only seen that with TPs earned on flights taken in the grace period, rather than TPs posted in the grace period from flights taken before the grace period.
duncgor likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by duncgor
I’m interested @KARFA in your experience (and hence my advice to the OP), but in your vast experience, will the BA systems actually recognise it automatically or can they expect a telecon/e-mail follow up to make it stick? I know what my guess would be lol!
It has done correctly every time I have had flights taken right up to the deadline. Flights have posted after 8th, been added to my lifetime total, but the TPs have been immediately zeroed and not added to my new year.

The only question is whether like in the OP’s case it would also recognise the status change if those points were the remaining ones needed to take the member over the threashold for the previous year. On that issue I am not sure, but even if it doesn’t I think a quick call would resolve it. As with normal status updates it may be worth waiting a day or two after the relevant flight actually posts beforehand calling, as status updates do lag 1/2 days behind flight posts.
duncgor likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:23 pm

There's the 'bonus' TP aspect whereby post year-end TPs (posted in the grace period) can be both credited to the prior year for status, and the current earning year. I'm not sure it's meant to happen, but it does seem to fairly frequently.

Mind you, I've only seen that with TPs earned on flights taken in the grace period, rather than TPs posted in the grace period from flights taken before the grace period.
I am not sure what you are suggesting? Again the OP isn’t needing to use the 2 week grace period as the flight itself is within the relevant membership year.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:28 pm

It has done correctly every time I have had flights taken right up to the deadline. Flights have posted after 8th, been added to my lifetime total, but the TPs have been immediately zeroed and not added to my new year.

The only question is whether like in the OP’s case it would also recognise the status change if those points were the remaining ones needed to take the member over the threashold for the previous year. On that issue I am not sure, but even if it doesn’t I think a quick call would resolve it. As with normal status updates it may be worth waiting a day or two after the relevant flight actually posts beforehand calling, as status updates do lag 1/2 days behind flight posts.
Thanks @KARFA , this seems to be one of those situations that as a relative novice (but ever grateful for FT flyer advice), this is a situation that stretches the BA system even beyond most FTers experience so I hope the OP will update the “what actually happened” versus “what should have happened”.... IMHO there should be zero need for any manual intervention from the OP to secure his status.... I am glass half empty on this though so predict they may need to speak to a human (or at least follow up with the online systems lol)
newyorklondon likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:29 pm

I am not sure what you are suggesting? Again the OP isn’t needing to use the 2 week grace period as the flight itself is within the relevant membership year.
Just that whatever the system is that deals with year-end TP cut-offs isn't always accurate. OP doesn't need the grace period, but my personal experience, is that those two weeks post cut-off can be a bit messy.

I agree that giving it a few days for things to settle is a good idea. I'd be interested to know if OP does have to call BAEC to ensure their new status is achieved, as it should be. Perhaps OP might report back.
duncgor likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:37 pm

Just that whatever the system is that deals with year-end TP cut-offs isn't always accurate. OP doesn't need the grace period, but my personal experience, is that those two weeks post cut-off can be a bit messy.
Not in my case (includes BA and partner flight) and not in any reports I have ever seen on FT. The points for flights from 8th or before have never incorrectly credited to the new year. The cutoff isn’t messy at all.

If you have an example it would be interesting to see a screenshot.

The flights post with a “transaction date” so the date the flight was taken, and a “posting date” for when they actually hit your account. Anything which has a transaction date of 8th or earlier and posts in the new membership year gets the TPs zeroed out straight away as far as your new TP balance is concerned.

For the instances where the grace period is relied upon a manual intervention is required I imagine you may see the odd mistake. However grace periods are only available anyway for those who haven’t quite reached the threshold to achieve/renew status and do have flights booked within the two week period after 8th which would credit enough points to achieve the threshold
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold (Oh yeah!)
If it helps, my year end was 8th apr.

I flew osl-hel-jfk-las on the 7th on a variety of fimmair and american. The points posted in two seperate batches a few days later (post year end), they were then reallocated to the previous year, and took me to gold (as planned). I did not need to contact BA etc for a manual adjustment it all happened automatically.
duncgor, KARFA and newyorklondon like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by adieacc
If it helps, my year end was 8th apr.

I flew osl-hel-jfk-las on the 7th on a variety of fimmair and american. The points posted in two seperate batches a few days later (post year end), they were then reallocated to the previous year, and took me to gold (as planned). I did not need to contact BA etc for a manual adjustment it all happened automatically.
The system works! Let’s hope it does also for the OP!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:43 pm

Not in my case (includes BA and partner flight) and not in any reports I have ever seen on FT. The points for flights from 8th or before have never incorrectly credited to the new year. The cutoff isn’t messy at all.

If you have an example it would be interesting to see a screenshot.

The flights post with a “transaction date” so the date the flight was taken, and a “posting date” for when they actually hit your account. Anything which has a transaction date of 8th or earlier and posts in the new membership year gets the TPs zeroed out straight away as far as your new TP balance is concerned.
Sorry, to be clear, my example of what I call 'messiness' was TPs posted from post-8th flights (in the grace period), which counted toward prior year status (i.e. pre cut-off) but were not zeroed out and remained on the account for the current earning year (i.e. post cut-off).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.