Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Well, it's certainly still holding for July!

My main course F choices (first BA F, thanks to a GUF2) for LHR-SFO on 21st are exactly the same. I can't actually say I'm particularly enthralled by any of them - I'd certainly not regard a burger as suitable fare for CW or F - so much so that I might actually chance the beef, and I'm very much a rare as possible man ... so I too would appreciate recommendations or reviews from those who've already, err, salivated over the offering.
We have the same choice for our F flight to SFO next week. Personally I think as a First menu it is unacceptable. Had a mail from QF last week with some offers about QF First and had details of their seven (7) course F dinner menu. BA should rename themselves at Budget Air because that's what you get for your £K's.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
We have the same choice for our F flight to SFO next week. Personally I think as a First menu it is unacceptable. Had a mail from QF last week with some offers about QF First and had details of their seven (7) course F dinner menu. BA should rename themselves at Budget Air because that's what you get for your £K's.
If you're so inclined, you can have 7 courses on BA too.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Really!? You want to explain how? My experience last year/this year in F

1. Nuts
2. Starter - sorry we have run out of your first choice
3. Main - overcooked chicken or beef
4. Sweet or cheese - wow two pieces of cheese and one grape
5. Kettle crisps
6. Crunchie
7. More nuts

Sorry forgot a pathetic plate of leaves

Sorry but seeing as BA spends probably less than £30 on an F main meal lets not carried away. The reason they are now #40 is that they don't care about their pax or crew. I have had crews saying that they are embarrassed by the slop they are serving. If other airlines can serve better J meals including QF and AA and AY, even on shorthaul, than an LH F meal BA then there is something wrong.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Really!? You want to explain how? My experience last year/this year in F

1. Nuts
2. Starter - sorry we have run out of your first choice
3. Main - overcooked chicken or beef
4. Sweet or cheese - wow two pieces of cheese and one grape
5. Kettle crisps
6. Crunchie
7. More nuts

Sorry forgot a pathetic plate of leaves

Sorry but seeing as BA spends probably less than £30 on an F main meal lets not carried away. The reason they are now #40 is that they don't care about their pax or crew. I have had crews saying that they are embarrassed by the slop they are serving. If other airlines can serve better J meals including QF and AA and AY, even on shorthaul, than an LH F meal BA then there is something wrong.
You've obviously been unlucky.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
So BA loads enough food in F for every passenger to have a 7 course meal?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Since this will be our first BA F flight, how do you do that? If you could have an extra starter it would work with a lighter main course.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: LH HON
Yes. In theory.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Since this will be our first BA F flight, how do you do that? If you could have an extra starter it would work with a lighter main course.
Just order from the menu:
  1. Pre-appetiser
  2. Appetiser
  3. Soup
  4. Salad
  5. Main course
  6. Desert
  7. Cheese
I hope you enjoy your flight, let the crew know it's your first time in First and don't be shy at asking for anything you fancy.

Enjoy ^
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I took a look at the menu for my next WTP over to YYZ in July.

The mains are the classic beef and tikka masala.

However when i go to look at the full menu, it just says "undefined"
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by aidy
However when i go to look at the full menu, it just says "undefined"
The solution is in this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post28096887
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Perfect thanks, it appears WTP is pretty bare now.

Starter
Spicy coleslaw

Main
Seared fillet of British beef with horseradish ratte potatoes, asparagus, roasted cauliflower and London Porter and thyme sauce
Chicken tikka masala with dal makhani and jeera pilau rice

Dessert
Chocolate and orange pot
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:40 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Has anyone had the tikka masala? Is it chopped up chicken or a supreme?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Just order from the menu:
  1. Pre-appetiser
  2. Appetiser
  3. Soup
  4. Salad
  5. Main course
  6. Desert
  7. Cheese
I hope you enjoy your flight, let the crew know it's your first time in First and don't be shy at asking for anything you fancy.

Enjoy ^
I had seen that repeatedly in all the "First time in F" threads and was going to do just that.

Actually, I am going to ask for my wife who does not get to fly as much as I do. If her experience is truly special, I'll be a happy man!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by juniordk2000
LHR-GIG in F early July. Looks pretty good. Any recommendations?

Starters
Seared scallop with smoked salmon and crab boudin blanc, salsify purée, compressed apple and Thai shallots
Baked Camembert with a garlic and rosemary crust, chargrilled ciabatta with port and pear chutney
Chicken consomme with fresh mushroom tortellini
Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of honey mustard dressing or Caesar dressing

Main
Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus beef with chervil ratte potatoes, broad bean purée, sautéed king oyster mushroom, chargrilled spring onions and bordelaise sauce
Pan fried stone bass with lightly smoked fennel and kasha salad, heirloom tomatoes and balsamic essence
British beef burger with chorizo, guacamole, Monterey Jack cheese and sweet potato fries
Risotto primavera with chargrilled baby courgette, parmesan and rocket salad
Main course salad of Loch Fyne kinglas smoked salmon with Burford brown poached egg, asparagus, roasted herb new potatoes and hollandaise sauce

Desserts
Caramel and hazelnut galette
Warm pear and almond tart
Madagascan vanilla ice cream

Cheese Plate
Shropshire Blue
Gillot Camembert
Godminster
Tomme De Savoie
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Well, it's certainly still holding for July!

My main course F choices (first BA F, thanks to a GUF2) for LHR-SFO on 21st are exactly the same. I can't actually say I'm particularly enthralled by any of them - I'd certainly not regard a burger as suitable fare for CW or F - so much so that I might actually chance the beef, and I'm very much a rare as possible man ... so I too would appreciate recommendations or reviews from those who've already, err, salivated over the offering.
If your menu is as the one posted above by juniordk2000, I had this menu in early June (interesting that the change is no longer monthly, is that new?). I also normally avoid beef on BA CW/F, especially outbound from London, when I usually find it very well done and tough. From the US it is more usually very well done but more tender and edible.

However, in a fit of optimism, I chose the beef outbound from LHR and while it was definitely well done (my half-hearted pleas to the crew for pink meat being met with sympathetic yet pitying shakes of the head), it was at least tender and edible. I wasn't too keen on the chargrilled spring onions, but the rest of the dish was fine. I may still have preferred the safer option of the fish, but it was far from disaster as long as you have no expectation of anything other than well done. Don't know why BA can't / won't cook meat less than well done, other airlines can manage it.

Pictures below (my first ever pictures posted on FT, so hoping not to mess it up) are of the beef main and the scallop starter (enjoyable, though the scallop itself was rather miniature). I didn't have dessert as I only wanted the ice cream, which was liquid by the point in the flight I chose to eat. Cheese was fine, though the blue cheese was missing. Hope this helps.

Edit - also adding a pic of the pre-appetiser (aka amuse-bouche), some British charcuterie that was pretty good.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Oaxaca; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:34 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:47 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you, that's great! As a result, I'm off to change my order to the fish .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.