Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: flyoff
The facility to choose your main course meal before you fly (when travelling First, Club World and World Traveller Plus) is available on the following routes on flights departing from London:

London Heathrow to Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Bangkok, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chengdu, Chicago, Dallas, Delhi, Denver, Doha, Dubai, Durban, Hong Kong, Houston, Hyderabad, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Madras, Mexico, Miami, Montreal, Mumbai, Muscat, Nairobi, Narita, Nassau, New York (JFK and Newark), Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio De Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (California), Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Tehran, Tel Aviv, Tokyo (Haneda and Narita), Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC.

London Gatwick to Antigua, Barbados, Bermuda, Cancun, Cape Town, Costa Rica, New York (JFK), Kingston, Lima, Male, Mauritius, Orlando, Punta Cana, Saint Lucia, San Jose (Costa Rica), Tampa, and Trinidad and Tobago

Meal selection will be from the on-board menu; pre-selection is available between 30 days and 24 hours before your flight

Meal selection is only for the main course of the main meal. However, you can click on the menu link to see the full main meal menu.

Starters and desserts cannot be pre-ordered. Items from the second meals cannot be viewed or pre-ordered.

Print Wikipost

The main course pre-order choice thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Just to note that Chicken Curry I had yesterday in CW (post 483) was actually rather tasty, in an M&S sort of way
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
LHR-JFK in CW in 15 days time. Same menu as KeaneJohn, same choice for me as KeaneJohn too! I'll be seeking out the alternative to sandwiches when it comes to afternoon tea as well.

Starters
King prawns with marinated black quinoa, grilled asparagus spears and lemon crème fraîche.
Five spiced beetroot with pickled baby vegetables, horseradish dressing and fresh pea shoots.

Salad
Fresh seasonal leaf salad served with grilled vegetables.

Main
Seared rack of New Zealand lamb with polenta and wild mushroom crespelle, roasted vegetables and thyme jus.
Chicken Koi Soy with coconut and chilli, served with steamed jasmine rice.
Casserecce pasta tossed in a fresh pea and mint sauce, finished with oven roasted cherry tomatoes.
Main course salad featuring sautéed king prawns, herbed goat's cheese, cucumber ribbons, fresh mint and balsamic vinaigrette.

Desserts
Home made panna cotta infused with elderflower served with a raspberry puree.
Warm sticky toffee pudding.
Barbers 1833 vintage cheddar and Normandy brie served with quince jelly.

Last edited by BerksFlyer; Sep 1, 2016 at 7:27 am
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
LHR-JFK in CW in 15 days time. Same menu as KeaneJohn, same choice for me as KeaneJohn too! I'll be seeking out the alternative to sandwiches when it comes to afternoon tea as well.

Starters
King prawns with marinated black quinoa, grilled asparagus spears and lemon crème fraîche.
Five spiced beetroot with pickled baby vegetables, horseradish dressing and fresh pea shoots.

Salad
Fresh seasonal leaf salad served with grilled vegetables.

Main
Seared rack of New Zealand lamb with polenta and wild mushroom crespelle, roasted vegetables and thyme jus.
Chicken Koi Soy with coconut and chilli, served with steamed jasmine rice.
Casserecce pasta tossed in a fresh pea and mint sauce, finished with oven roasted cherry tomatoes.
Main course salad featuring sautéed king prawns, herbed goat's cheese, cucumber ribbons, fresh mint and balsamic vinaigrette.

Desserts
Home made panna cotta infused with elderflower served with a raspberry puree.
Warm sticky toffee pudding.
Barbers 1833 vintage cheddar and Normandy brie served with quince jelly.

Good choice hehe.. I am quite looking forward to that. On my onwards AA flight to Cancun I have cheese lasagne or herbed chicken.. The AA board says both 2 of their better dishes.. but I digress.

What is the alernative choice for afternoon tea? I thought the alternatives were on longer routes ?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Based on a few people making enthusiastic comments on a dish I thought unmemorable, I decided to have the seabass with crab and watermelon again yesterday.

If that second attempt changed my mind, that was for the worse. Seabass was quite thin and left with soggy skin on (I like crisp grilled seabass skin, but soggy steamed stuff really belongs to the rubbish bin), hollandaise was the ready made type, watermelon was incongruous, and crab was overpowered by the too many other things on the plate. Worse, however, were the two asparagus elements (the whole ones and the pureed ones) which were decidedly bitter and unpleasant. Not a nice experience.

Tried my partner's main course tuna salad. Tuna was good but leaves were limp, grains salad seem to have a whole field of onions in them, and toasted corn reminded me of the kernels that don't pop in microwave popcorn, hard and somehow failed...

The salmon cannelloni was very salty, and the white asparagus soup one of the only disappointing F soups that I can remember despite being so tempting on paper. On the plus side, the hot salted caramel chocolate pudding was delicious.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Good choice hehe.. I am quite looking forward to that. On my onwards AA flight to Cancun I have cheese lasagne or herbed chicken.. The AA board says both 2 of their better dishes.. but I digress.

What is the alernative choice for afternoon tea? I thought the alternatives were on longer routes ?
Last month (to JFK) on the 173 it was:

An individual selection of sandwiches......

Or

Antipasti plate of Parma Ham, Manchego, marinated beetroot, pepper-crusted goat's cheese and smoked tuna with caper berry. (Could have done with some warm bread rolls)

Choice of scones and 3 very small cakes (Coffee Macaroon,Lemon Madeira cake and strawberry eclair). Cakes were ^

Likewise, surprised to get a choice. Redemption perhaps for the non-choice starter (Pea panna cotta) which I couldn't eat. Noted too that there were a choice of 2 puddings.

Not having a choice of starter was very much
Old Sep 1, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that CUN gets it by virtue of being in Mexico! And indeed, it is usually a small salad (over the months, there has been a tomato-cucumber-feta one, a mozzarella and fig one, a taboulleh-hummus plate, etc)
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that CUN gets it by virtue of being in Mexico! And indeed, it is usually a small salad (over the months, there has been a tomato-cucumber-feta one, a mozzarella and fig one, a taboulleh-hummus plate, etc)
I am flying LHR-JFK with BA in Club World then JFK-CUN with AA. Didn't fancy the direct LGW service, a few more TP and avios, a chance to stretch legs in between flights but with the catering very much looking forward to my first BA j long haul in 15 years. My last attempt 2 yrs ago was scuppered by an opup to F (which wasn't the best).
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Based on a few people making enthusiastic comments on a dish I thought unmemorable, I decided to have the seabass with crab and watermelon again yesterday.

If that second attempt changed my mind, that was for the worse. Seabass was quite thin and left with soggy skin on (I like crisp grilled seabass skin, but soggy steamed stuff really belongs to the rubbish bin), hollandaise was the ready made type, watermelon was incongruous, and crab was overpowered by the too many other things on the plate. Worse, however, were the two asparagus elements (the whole ones and the pureed ones) which were decidedly bitter and unpleasant. Not a nice experience.

Tried my partner's main course tuna salad. Tuna was good but leaves were limp, grains salad seem to have a whole field of onions in them, and toasted corn reminded me of the kernels that don't pop in microwave popcorn, hard and somehow failed...

The salmon cannelloni was very salty, and the white asparagus soup one of the only disappointing F soups that I can remember despite being so tempting on paper. On the plus side, the hot salted caramel chocolate pudding was delicious.
  • Severn and Wye smoked salmon cannelloni with lemon purée, cucumber, verjus and marinated beetroot
  • Heirloom tomatoes shepherds purse fettle cheese with tomato marshmallow, basil cake and white balsamic pearls
  • White asparagus soup with shaved asparagus and spring onion salad
  • Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of honey mustard or Caesar dressing

• Seared fillet of Aberdeen Angus, smoked beef cheek, pomme mousseline, mushroom ragout and heritage carrots with bordelaise sauce
  • Pan fried sea bass dressed crab, compressed watermelon, asparagus purée with comfit potato and citrus hollandaise
  • Beef burger with streaky bacon, monterey jack cheese, barbeque sauce, coleslaw and spicy potato wedges
  • Orecchiette pasta with pea, mange tout, tomato fricassee with a parmesan crisp and semi dried tomatoes
  • Seared Thai spiced tuna orange and coriander salad with hot roasted spiced kernels, espelette pepper dressing and a gazpacho shot

I was not impressed with this menu at all. The only starters available were the salmon cannelloni and the soup. As the cabin was like an oven, I got the cannelloni. It was OK.

I had pre-ordered the beef.

The fillet was overcooked but edible - just.
The beef cheek was disgusting.
The mushroom ragout was totally overpowered with tarragon
I got a small black blob which I assumed was a small piece of black carrot, a tiny, mushy, orange carrot, and a tiny white blob which I assumed was a tiny piece of white carrot.
The potato was quite good.

I opted for the cheese plate and some fruit to finish. They were all excellent - the best part of the entire meal.

This meal is definitely vying for top spot in my worst meals ever on BA list.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum,AS MVP

If that second attempt changed my mind, that was for the worse. Seabass was quite thin and left with soggy skin on (I like crisp grilled seabass skin, but soggy steamed stuff really belongs to the rubbish bin),
Sea bass, but its definition, is a bit ambiguous. Generally though, I wouldn't recommend it wouldn't it being barbecued on charcoal under swaying palm trees in the Mediterranean. Outside of those conditions, it probably tastes about the same as the fishes in my kids toy kitchen.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum,AS MVP
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I am considering this for my meal in F to JNB - Roast guinea fowl with pearl barley risotto, romanesco, icicle radish, carrot with madeira and tarragon sauce. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.
I am considering this for my F LAX flight next week as well. I like fowl, but I haven't had it on a plane before, so any comments about fowls on BA would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:04 am
Original Poster

I am flying LHR-JFK with BA in Club World then JFK-CUN with AA. Didn't fancy the direct LGW service, a few more TP and avios, a chance to stretch legs in between flights but with the catering very much looking forward to my first BA j long haul in 15 years. My last attempt 2 yrs ago was scuppered by an opup to F (which wasn't the best).
Ah, but JFK always gets the option: LHR-JFK flights are catered by a different company (Do&Co) from all the other long haul (bar CWLCY) and thus include an improved meal service with hot pudding and afternoon tea alternative.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyHall
Sea bass, but its definition, is a bit ambiguous. Generally though, I wouldn't recommend it wouldn't it being barbecued on charcoal under swaying palm trees in the Mediterranean. Outside of those conditions, it probably tastes about the same as the fishes in my kids toy kitchen.
Well, I sure agree with you that a wild sea bass on the barbecue is an infinite delight. You are right though that the fish has significantly suffered from intensive farming in recent years (just like sea bream and for a bit longer salmon). Size is usually a good indicator as the tiny stuff I was served was clearly the flavourless mass farmed stuff. That said, it was the preparation too that I was criticising. Just not good IMHO.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Any feedback on the chicken vs. beef options in Club/WTP this month? I've a weekend WTP sector - not sure what to choose (or not, and wistfully await an upgrade......)
Old Sep 6, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
BA67, LHR-PHL, Early October, F

Starters

Seared scallops with pumpkin purée, hazelnut biscuit and burnt butter

Pickled baby vegetables with black olive purée, oven roasted tomatoes, quail egg and truffle dressing

Leek and potato soup

Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of honey mustard or Caesar dressing

Main

Seared Aberdeen Angus beef fillet, Jacobs ladder, artichoke potato dauphinoise, artichoke barigoule and chanterelle mushroom with rosemary jus

Baked halibut with brown shrimps, spinach tortellini and lobster sauce

Confit duck leg with smoked garlic mash, root vegetables, puy lentils and duck port jus

Penne pasta with a truffle, wild mushroom and fines herb cream sauce

Main course salad of spiced chicken with red cabbage slaw, couscous, fattoush salad and chilli and lime dressing

Desserts

Yuzu Blancmange and roasted chili pineapple

Apple tart tatin

Madagascan vanilla ice cream

Cheese Plate

Wookey Hole Cheddar

Thomas Hoe

Fourme D Ambert

Shoreham Brie

Looking forward to my first F experience
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
BA67, LHR-PHL, Early October, F

Starters

Seared scallops with pumpkin purée, hazelnut biscuit and burnt butter

Pickled baby vegetables with black olive purée, oven roasted tomatoes, quail egg and truffle dressing

Leek and potato soup

Fresh seasonal salad with a choice of honey mustard or Caesar dressing

Main

Seared Aberdeen Angus beef fillet, Jacobs ladder, artichoke potato dauphinoise, artichoke barigoule and chanterelle mushroom with rosemary jus

Baked halibut with brown shrimps, spinach tortellini and lobster sauce

Confit duck leg with smoked garlic mash, root vegetables, puy lentils and duck port jus

Penne pasta with a truffle, wild mushroom and fines herb cream sauce

Main course salad of spiced chicken with red cabbage slaw, couscous, fattoush salad and chilli and lime dressing

Desserts

Yuzu Blancmange and roasted chili pineapple

Apple tart tatin

Madagascan vanilla ice cream

Cheese Plate

Wookey Hole Cheddar

Thomas Hoe

Fourme D Ambert

Shoreham Brie

Looking forward to my first F experience
Nice menu, I'd personally go for the halibut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.