Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
After over a year with no upgrades I got 3 in a row. BOS-LHR LHR-JFK and JFK-LHR all WT to WT+ within 2 weeks. Here's hoping the run continues for my Florida flights in May
Old Mar 22, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Op Up

Upgraded from W to J heading home from LAX to LHR last night. Was hoping for it as the plane was changed from 380 to 744. Didn't think it was going to happen then got beeper at the gate prior to boarding. I'm now 3 for 3 on TATL this year (either going out or coming back) happy days
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:23 am

After a very, very long time without one (on BA at least), Mrs Lem and I were upgraded from ET to CE (big whoop) at the gate yesterday on LHR-TXL.

Not sure why, as there were other empty seats in ET, but was thankful as it moved us out of the row in front of a stag party who were, let’s say, rather boisterous
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
WT+ to CW just now for BA192 DFW-LHR ^

I'm an AA EXP and flight was booked under an AA code, FWIW.
haroon145 and watersign like this.

Last edited by bse118; Mar 24, 2019 at 4:29 pm Reason: left out the "+" in WT+
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Upgraded at the gate J to F Sydney to Singapore on BA 16 yesterday on the back of F outbound (GUF). Oversold J apparently.

Nicer wine (Chablis Premier Cru was lovely ) and more room than the subsequent leg in J to Lhr; although the Kiwi Sav Blanc in J was also very nice.

OF
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Upgraded to W on BA207 this week to Miami after noticing, when sat in the lounge that my App had changed my seat from 29K to 30K. With 29K being nice exit seat and 30K not, I asked at guest services in the lounge where the lady rang someone and just printed me a new boarding pass in WTP without really saying a word. Was slightly odd customer service experience but was very grateful for my first ever upgrade after around 100+ sectors with BA!
armouredant likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
My folks earlier today LHR/CDG - flight was rammed, they are both GCHs.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Received the elusive double upgrade from WT to CW on my flight last week LGW-JFK. Very happy, as I haven't had an Op-Up on BA for about 3 years now. WT+ went out completely full.

Makes me wonder if LGW has far fewer GGL members flying out of it (I'm a GCH)...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AY Platinum
Got an upgrade on the LHR-MIA from CW to F. As it was my first time in First on any airline I’m still excited about it after two days! Don’t know how we managed to beat the odds, given we were a party of three (Finnair Emerald, Sapphire and Basic) and our tickets were sold with AY code. Didn’t expect anything even when we all got the ”magic beeps” at the gate, I thouhght it was due to the 747 UD exit seats or due to a faulty power socket on my seat I had been told about when checking in to our previous ARN-LHR leg. Even the gate agent just dismissed the ”seating issue” first as she was on the phone and seemed distracted and rushed to us only afterwards with our new BPs.

A very pleasant flight and I particularly enjoyed the private feeling of the F cabin in the nose of the 747, the upgraded food and the bed & bedding - and the refills of the pre-departure drinks, given we had to wait for ages for them to locate and offload a piece of luggage due to a case of illness. Even got a personal hello and welcome from the CSD. ^
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
QR, DOH-EDI the night before last, Y->J. Was greatly, greatly appreciated.

My rate is definitely better on QR than BA, intriguingly. But I suspect Easter probably helped a lot on this one - Y looked rammed, so OWE helped a lot.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
After a POUG from WT to WT+ I was lucky enough to get a free upgrade to CW for JFK-LGW last weekend. Given that it was only my second time in CW I was very happy to be there. I wonder if BA think that I am going to start buying CW, if they are then unfortunately they don’t have very good data on me, I would love to have some more free upgrades though!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
OTP-LHR ET to CE

It was my last flight of a OTP-PHX TP run so I was knackered. I think the CSM must have took pity on me and as it was my last flight to get Gold he might have thought it a nice way to reward me. Regardless of why... greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: QFF, VA, IHG
My wife was upgraded SIN-SYD BA15 last Thursday from WT+ to CW - I think WT was oversold and hers was a consequential bump. No status, perhaps being a single traveller helped. Gave her a taste for our upcoming CW flight later this year.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL
We were both upgraded (around 12 hours after we’d checked in online) on the BA203 on Saturday. Booked in J, well, actually I, as part of a BA holiday booking but we ended up in First. First, Club and Traveller plus were full, and Traveller looked full, but I couldn’t be 100% sure.

We only found out we’d been upgraded when I checked the app before leaving for the airport. Good job I checked...as leisure only traveller nowadays who bounce between sliver and gold, we are currently silver so I hadn’t planned on going the First wing. But, since we’d booked valet parking it worked out pretty well

An odd upgrade though, for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I’d been trying for a couple of weeks to upgrade both ways with Avios, but was told that there was no availability. And second, one of the crew onboard approached us and said we’d been upgraded as a ‘service recovery’ action. But, while we flew in paid F to Australia via SIN and back via HKG last month, we hadn’t complained...!

And, just an observation this is the third BA flight in two years I’ve tried to upgrade with Avios, failed, and been upgraded on one sector anyway!
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:21 am

Had the magic beep last week, BCN - LHR, Seat 1F, gracias from a silver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.