Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways misses big time

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA
Thumbs down British Airways misses big time

Silver class in BA, but this is the first time I've flown so far, from Heathrow to Canberra Australia via Singapore (31 hours door to door). Ecomony seat was around £1,100 and I decided to go for the Premium Economy at £3,700 thinking it would be as advertised. The difference to Business Class was only about another £1,000. Imagine my surprise when the seats were not much bigger than economy, plastic dishes (advertised as china and glass), one of the most popular beverages (Baileys) was not available on either flight. Blankets were the same as Economy, pillow not much better (actually looked worse). Getting steamed by this time and no sleep. Food was horrible. So I complained to BA via their web form while I was sitting in the Singpore boarding lounge waiting for the next leg. I figured they owed me either a refund between Economy and what I paid, or an upgrade on my return leg. No surprise, they weren't interested, even when I told them they can get sued for false advertising. They claim they couldn't do either as 'we have to treat all customers fairly'. To me this was a laugh - I guess they're misleading everyone. So I decided to post my experience on some different websites.

Anyone else have similar horror stories on long haul flights?
Old May 23, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Remember PE is essentially an Economy Class product. Where do they advertise you get better blankets and pillows/Baileys. I assume you got the enhanced legroom? From what you write, apart from the tablewear, they provided what was advertised. However, I sympathize with you - that fare difference is huge. Vote with you feet next time. There's no way I'd pay 3,700 for BA to take me to Australia and back.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

defabrizio Welcome to the forum. We hope you stick around

The quality and features of BA PE is well know. Its premium economy. It is not business minus.

Did you check the price of all the airlines UK to Australia? Its a very competitive route.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
They are unlikely to refund you anything but for future reference, if you want your complain to be taken seriously, NEVER threaten to sue. That is a total turn-off and it is unlikely to be taken seriously.

Premium Economy is hit or miss depending on the airline and the segment flown. In general it is not worth it unless the cost is very little above economy.
Old May 23, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by defabrizio
Silver class in BA, but this is the first time I've flown so far, from Heathrow to Canberra Australia via Singapore (31 hours door to door). Ecomony seat was around £1,100 and I decided to go for the Premium Economy at £3,700 thinking it would be as advertised. The difference to Business Class was only about another £1,000. Imagine my surprise when the seats were not much bigger than economy, plastic dishes (advertised as china and glass), one of the most popular beverages (Baileys) was not available on either flight. Blankets were the same as Economy, pillow not much better (actually looked worse). Getting steamed by this time and no sleep. Food was horrible. So I complained to BA via their web form while I was sitting in the Singpore boarding lounge waiting for the next leg. I figured they owed me either a refund between Economy and what I paid, or an upgrade on my return leg. No surprise, they weren't interested, even when I told them they can get sued for false advertising. They claim they couldn't do either as 'we have to treat all customers fairly'. To me this was a laugh - I guess they're misleading everyone. So I decided to post my experience on some different websites.

Doesn't sound like a horror story to me, rather that you had unfounded expectations. Thinking they will reimburse you for that or much less get sued for it is pretty unrealistic. Here is BA's ad page for WT+

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...traveller-plus

They have pics and a link to a video of an example WT+ seat, it plainly isn't substantially different from a regular economy seat in terms of size - not by the same magnitude as a Business class seat is. I don't see any promise of "better" blankets and pillows nor a guaranteed list of specific liquors. Whether the food was "horrible" is subjective and not something anyone should realistically expect a refund over, much less legal action!

In short I don't see much of substance that should have been a surprise to you, even just going by BA's website information.

In the future I'd recommend researching potential airline options here on the FT forums, SeatGuru (which despite its shortfalls would have illustrated the basic areas you are upset about here), and just a plain old Google search. For example "BA world traveler plus review" brings up many hits including videos of the seats, cabin and inflight experience.

Last edited by 84fiero; May 23, 2015 at 11:10 am
Old May 23, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: SQ & QF

You should do your research before you book. Premium economy isn't that great.

I have just booked Business Class with Singapore Airlines to Australia for £3,000 (paid for no points not do I have any status (Anymore)). Next time have a look at all the options.

Last edited by FN-GM; May 23, 2015 at 9:11 am
Old May 23, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Etihad was selling business class out of Athens to Sydney for £1600 last week with a 6 month window to travel. This is the new A380 as well. You could have also got the same route on Virgin Australia for £1200.

As long as you happy starting in mainland Europe there is usually someone selling J for around £2000
Old May 23, 2015, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I lose a great deal of sympathy, even when the underlying complaint is justified, when they use terms such as "horror story". To me that connotes the FA spitting in my soup in front of me or some such.

While it is true that the BA website does, in fact, specify "fine china" (not merely in a picture, but in a specific bullet point) and a "full bar", I tend to see that as small stuff and, if OP wants to sue, he may collect his damages, e.g., the value of food served on other than fine china and the value of an after-dinner drink.

The bottom line is that this is someone who did not do thorough research as to the things that matter. He could have flown J on other carriers and routes for less than he paid for WTP on BA.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Imagine my surprise when the seats were not much bigger than economy
So BA offers the same seating configuration in premium economy as they do in regular economy? Same amount of seats per row no matter where you sit?

Qantas, on the other hand, has less seats in their premium economy rows and a small footrest.

Congratulations on your first post since you joined FT 8 years ago!
Old May 23, 2015, 10:11 am

Sorry, but its really your fault for not doing your research. It's premium economy, which means its a better version of economy, not a business minus or even half way between business and economy. You were just unfortunate that it was priced so much higher as it is normally much closer to economy.

Surely if you are BA Silver you have at least walked past a Premium Economy seat before?
Old May 23, 2015, 11:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to the posting side of FT defabrizio.

As this is BA specific that's where we're relocating your thread.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 23, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I can't see why BA should owe you anything. They provided the service you paid for, to me that is the standard WTP treatment, which by the way I find good. You should have made researches before booking your flights, the web and FT are full of reports about BA cabins.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
So BA offers the same seating configuration in premium economy as they do in regular economy? Same amount of seats per row no matter where you sit?

Qantas, on the other hand, has less seats in their premium economy rows and a small footrest.
This isn't the case, BA premium economy is 2-4-2 compared, e.g. to 3-3-3 in economy on a 777.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:13 pm

Unrealistic expectations I would say. I certainly wouldn't pay £3,200 for PE to Australia.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:23 pm

I seem to recall that the blanket is slightly thicker and maybe a little darker but I stand to be corrected.

Isn't the cabin in a different configuration? Same seats but less of them, so a bit more personal space?

Palmer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.