Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways misses big time

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Sorry to sound all incredulous but could the OP clarify the reasons behind the decision to pay 3,700 for BA WT+ when SQ and EY Business class to Syd are available for less?

Surely the extra shuttle to Canberra is worth it?
Old May 23, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver Card
Originally Posted by simons1
Unrealistic expectations I would say. I certainly wouldn't pay £3,200 for PE to Australia.
Nor would I when I could start in OSL and get a flatbed in Club for £2000 Plus PE from DUB is only £920...
Old May 23, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA silver
By silver class- do you mean you are a silver card holder? I am guessing not.
Perhaps you have learnt a hard lesson- research, research, research. BA clearly states width and pitch. They also tell you what to expect foodwise( ok, perhaps a little embellishment!)
If you don't fly often, I could imagine that you would expect a lot more for the price you paid but within any cabin on a flight there will be a substantial difference between the cheapest and dearest ticket.
Next time- be clear what your chosen cabin offers and don't ever think about paying that amount again for an economy plus seat! Find out what other airlines are offering as well.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by tom911
So BA offers the same seating configuration in premium economy as they do in regular economy? Same amount of seats per row no matter where you sit?

Qantas, on the other hand, has less seats in their premium economy rows and a small footrest.

Congratulations on your first post since you joined FT 8 years ago!
Not at all. BA says "World Traveller Plus is our premium economy service, a more comfortable, relaxing experience on longer routes and proof that a premium service doesn't have to break the bank."

That's exactly what it is, and there are many resources to sort out all the details, read reviews, etc. so one can perform due diligence before purchasing. (Such as reading here in the BAEC Forum - plenty of information to suss out in nine years .)

I've flown World a Traveller Plus SHO-LHR, for instance, and I'd not confuse it with Club World nor expect to recline horizontally to sleep. These are different seats than offered in World Traveller: 2-4-2 layout across in WT+, vs. 3-4-3 in WT. 38" vs 31" seat pitch, and 18.5" vs 17.5" seat width, extended recline from WT and a small footrest.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Most airlines are nervous about cannibalising their business-class market, and so place premium-economy well within the economy-style product. It's essentially economy with a little extra space, no frills. It's not business-class:nowhere near. Some do it better than BA (Air New Zealand), others don't reach BA's level.

Lufthansa doesn't even separate PE from the economy cabin: in the B748 I flew on, PE was half a dozen rows of seats within the economy cabin. For reference, they sold upgrades at check-in for $250 (Buenos Aires to Frankfurt): there was an embarrassing attempt by cabin crew to sell it on-board for EUR350.

It's sad the OP paid a £1300 premium in each direction. Better to have ditched BA and spent the same money flying in C/J with another carrier.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Caleklika
Nor would I when I could start in OSL and get a flatbed in Club for £2000 Plus PE from DUB is only £920...
Plus a higher surcharge / tax etc. when you upgrade ^
Old May 23, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: BAEC
The OP purchased a fully flex ticket (I guess fare basis W2BA). Presumably s/he did so for a reason - either that WTP was basically fully sold or the flexibility was needed. It isn't really fair to compare the benefits of a fully flex ticket with an undoubtedly cheaper non-refundable and non-changeable business ticket. As others have said, check the ticket rules and product before buying.
Old May 23, 2015, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by defabrizio
I decided to go for the Premium Economy at £3,700 thinking it would be as advertised. The difference to Business Class was only about another £1,000.
Plonker of the year award material that. Don't make the same mistake again.Read Flyertalk!!!
Old May 23, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Most people complain to BA because they've seen the marketing and feel hard done by with the experience.

This is an unusual case of someone paying £3,700 for something they didn't even research.

Why do people do this?
Old May 23, 2015, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA
Just a clarification - I've been a road warrior for almost 20 years. Before moving to the UK I was a top tier with Air Canada (I think it's the best world airline). I do go to North America often and have had Prem Econ before with BA. I fully expected a flight, double the length of a LHR > YYZ one, to have the same or better amenities than what I experienced on the Pacific. And yes, I did look to see what was included before I booked - in the UK the advertising laws are extremely strict. BA can be charged for not supplying what they claim to offer.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:52 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Just a clarification - I've been a road warrior for almost 20 years. Before moving to the UK I was a top tier with Air Canada (I think it's the best world airline). I do go to North America often and have had Prem Econ before with BA. I fully expected a flight, double the length of a LHR > YYZ one, to have the same or better amenities than what I experienced on the Pacific. And yes, I did look to see what was included before I booked - in the UK the advertising laws are extremely strict. BA can be charged for not supplying what they claim to offer.
Defabrizio, what was it that they didn't offer that BA claimed to offer??
Old May 23, 2015, 4:53 pm

None of which answers the question, why on earth did you pay £3,700 for PE?!
Old May 23, 2015, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
BA can be charged for not supplying what they claim to offer.
But what is it that they said you would get and that you didn't apart from the plates and glasses that you mention?

[PS: sorry Tobias-UK beats me to it! ]
Old May 23, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Let us know the result of your lawsuit.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

OP, please contact the Advertising Standards Authority if you think BA misled you. At least they'll be patient and polite in telling you that you weren't misled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.