Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do pilots "fib"

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ACARS
The weather they refer to is the wind causing flow restrictions.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Some checking facts, eh?
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Oh dear...another example of why FT gets a bad name amongst BA staff.
Not trying to be contrary here, but isn't blaming "bad weather" just a teeny-tiny bit lazy? They're got more information, so why not give it?

How many members of the general public would associate clear skies and gusty winds with the phrase "bad weather"? If it's windy, say it's windy. If it's snowing, say it's snowing. If it was forecast to be windy, so schedules were cut, then it wasn't as windy as forecast, then tell us that too. We're grown-ups too. Well, most of us

The more info you give pax on the cause(s) of delay, the lower the frustration, IME.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Not trying to be contrary here, but isn't blaming "bad weather" just a teeny-tiny bit lazy? They're got more information, so why not give it?

How many members of the general public would associate clear skies and gusty winds with the phrase "bad weather"? If it's windy, say it's windy. If it's snowing, say it's snowing. If it was forecast to be windy, so schedules were cut, then it wasn't as windy as forecast, then tell us that too. We're grown-ups too. Well, most of us

The more info you give pax on the cause(s) of delay, the lower the frustration, IME.
Perhaps the pilot was told "bad weather"?
Old May 5, 2015, 12:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Why do pilots "fib"

Wind isn't weather now? When did that happen?
Old May 5, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Regardless of the OP slight faux pas, it's not like BA haven't told the odd porkie in the past is it.

They tweeted last year that it was foggy at all London airports. I looked across the southern runway into beautiful blue skies. I tweeted them a photo back saying 'no it isn't' and was replied to by a chap who'd been cancelled into LHR and rebooked into LCY (IIRC) and had to get back across to connect at LHR during the tube strike
Old May 5, 2015, 12:13 pm

Any pilot who operates into LHR will be able to look at today's weather and instinctively know it will cause delays.

In terms of what information the pilot decides to share over the PA is individual choice. I always treat passengers as adults and give as much info as I can. However, it must be remembered a significant proportion of the population are nervous fliers. Using phrases such as gale force winds, severe turbulence and huge thunderstorms isn't really going to help their well being, and so I tend to use typical British understatement and tone it down. I don't think that counts as a fib.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Any pilot who operates into LHR will be able to look at today's weather and instinctively know it will cause delays.

In terms of what information the pilot decides to share over the PA is individual choice. I always treat passengers as adults and give as much info as I can. However, it must be remembered a significant proportion of the population are nervous fliers. Using phrases such as gale force winds, severe turbulence and huge thunderstorms isn't really going to help their well being, and so I tend to use typical British understatement and tone it down. I don't think that counts as a fib.

You could also ask the crew to mention that the brace position isn't actually going to save them, but simply preserve their dental records. Should settle them down ^
Old May 5, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Indeed. Enough of all this half-hearted "My name is Nigel and I'm your pilot," rubbish. All pilots' announcements should start like David Copperfield:

"Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my own life, or whether that station will be held by anybody else, these pages must show. To begin my life with the beginning of my life, I record that I was born (as I have been informed and believe) on a Friday, at twelve o'clock at night. It was remarked that the clock began to strike, and I began to cry, simultaneously.

In consideration of the day and hour of my birth, it was declared by the nurse, and by some sage women in the neighbourhood who had taken a lively interest in me several months before there was any possibility of our becoming personally acquainted, first, that I was destined to be unlucky in life; and secondly, that I was privileged to see ghosts and spirits; both these gifts inevitably attaching, as they believed, to all unlucky infants of either gender, born towards the small hours on a Friday night..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.