Paid upgraded WT meals available

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by MysoreBound
Gluten free.
Thought so, the fruit pot isn't the standard snack.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:18 am

Programs: BA blue, very lapsed Delta
You are correct, the standard snack was some sort of pastry thingie, definitely superglutenous.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC
My own view is that pax who pay for the YUMs based on the menu descriptions alone are likely to be sadly disappointed.

The CW meals don't accurately reflect the menus, so I strongly doubt the YUMs will either.

I also think that this is the slippery slope towards the withdrawal of the 'complimentary' food. BA is already separately charging for other previously 'free' services, so I don't see why food will be any different.

And £15 seems very high, in addition to the money that BA would otherwise have spent on the basic meal. Just seems like profiteering to me.

More choice doesn't always make something better.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Hilton HHonors, Starwood preferred guest
Originally Posted by hillrider
There is no reason why current catering, after a sufficient amount of time has passed, would not be cut/eliminated.
Equally there is no reason why it should be either

More choice doesn't always make something better.
Neither does it follow that it would always make something worse.

I like the look of the new meals, and considering what I just paid for a dreadful breakfast in the Hilton I just stayed in I dont think, looking at the breakfast menu, that the price is too over the top - will be giving it a try on my next flight.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum
Looks like this is being rolled out - just seen it available on flights next month to YVR
Old May 31, 2015, 5:51 am

I'm flying LHR - JFK on Thursday, this is what'sbeingoffredforpreorderedand prepiad meals. Would you try it, or stick with the main offering ?

-----------------

◾️ Gourmet Dining
Indulge yourself with our ultimate menu at 33,000ft

Poached king prawns with sliced mushrooms, lightly dressed in a traditional marie-rose sauce
Braised Herefordshire beef cheek with potato mousseline, roasted root vegetables and madeira shallot jus
Chocolate ganache bar with passion fruit coulis and crushed toasted hazelnuts

◾️Taste of Britain
Bringing you the very best of British cuisine

Loch Fyne smoked salmon with crème fraiche and caper berries
Slow roasted Wiltshire pork belly with celeriac mash and sautéed broccolini
Summer berry pudding with Cornish clotted cream

◾️Great British Breakfast
Enjoy a classic breakfast, all day

Seasonal fresh fruits
Freshly baked bread including selection of madeleines
Traditional British breakfast featuring Cumberland sausage and mature cheddar omelette
Chunky cherry compote with Greek yoghurt and homemade granola

◾️ Healthy Choice
A balanced menu enhancing your inflight well-being

Thai style rice rolls with sesame dipping sauce
Sustainably sourced poached cod en papillote with steamed seasonal vegetables
Greek yoghurt and honey mousse bar with grapefruit carpaccio

◾️ Vegetarian Kitchen Allergen information
Fresh ingredients giving you the perfect dining experience

Glazed goats cheese with marinated beetroot salad
Polenta crespelle with mascarpone, wilted spinach, wild mushroom and truffle cream sauce
Lemon meringue pie featuring homemade lemon curd
Old May 31, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
For a day time flight I would spend £18 in the terminal on a meal before hand.

For a night time flight I wouldn't go WT
Old May 31, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Strangely they are offering an improved paid meal option while at the same time upgrading the WT meals served to everyone.
Improvements include a more quality starter such as smoked salmon, cheese and biscuits and less of the cheaper vegetarian option.
Old May 31, 2015, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by olybeast
For a day time flight I would spend £18 in the terminal on a meal before hand.

For a night time flight I wouldn't go WT
Well, I'm thinking the same... rather spend that on a nicer meal than a grab and go in the terminal befor take off.
Its a 2.35 departure so eating before and after the flight will be great unless heavily delayed after boarding (happened to me twice at LHR but on Virgin).
Old May 31, 2015, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Strangely they are offering an improved paid meal option while at the same time upgrading the WT meals served to everyone.
Improvements include a more quality starter such as smoked salmon, cheese and biscuits and less of the cheaper vegetarian option.
When will these enhancements be in place?
Do you happen to know what is currently typically offered on the LHR JFK route when mail meal is lunch or dinner?
Old May 31, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The article just says being introduced over the next couple of months.
Do and Co are also taking over the catering on the LHR JFK route, they already supply the catering ex JFK.
Sorry I have no idea of or current WT hot meal options.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA blue, AVIS, Air Canada Aeroplan, Hilton Gold
Well ! I have an upcoming flight to JFK in one week in WT. just ordered the "Gourmet dining" option. Will post picture here of what it looks like.

Last edited by SouthSwedish; Jun 15, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SouthSwedish
Well ! I have an upcoming flight to EWR in one week in WT. just ordered the "Gourmet dining" option. Will post picture here of what it looks like.
Thanks - look forward to seeing it ^
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA blue, AVIS, Air Canada Aeroplan, Hilton Gold
As promised: Todays flight LHR-JFK (BA 115) in World Traveller. My wife and I tried the pre-order meals. I pre-orded the "Gourmet dining" and my wife pre-orded the "healthy choice". It was really good and my wife also loved her meal. Would i pre-order it again ? Yes ! Much better than the ordinary meals that was served. But our meal was of course treated as all other special meals, so I guess that the downside of this will be that one can forget about operational upgrades.... Even the cabin crew was curious about what our meals looked like. But my stewardess said that if 50 people choose it on a specific flight it would be a nightmare for them. She said " I hope not everybody will preorder their meals, this flight would look like a restaurant then"....

Last edited by SouthSwedish; Jun 26, 2015 at 8:45 pm
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Wow would you look at those. They look fresh and tasty!

Now, if BA were to find a way to incorporate that standard of meal into the ticket price I think they'd be back to their (very) old game of raising the bar and making a real effort to delight the customer.

I would be a very happy traveller if I was presented a meal like that (actually in all classes!) and I wouldn't be so harsh on all of the other enhancements we've been seeing in recent times. This could even tempt me to choose BA again over other airlines rather than my current practice of going on price and convenience for the class I want to travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.