Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paid upgraded WT meals available

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Originally Posted by Can I help you
From April 23rd you will be able to pay for upgraded meals on the following routes from LHR for travel from the 12th May.
ATL AUS DEN DFW IAH MEX MIA SEA PHX
The meal options will cost between £15-£18 and are
Gourmet Dining
Taste of Britain
Great British Breakfast
Heathy Choice
Vegetarian Kitchen
The whole tray is upgraded including the starter and dessert.
I wonder what the base 'price' is for a WT+ meal?

Add £18 onto that and I'd be expecting something pretty special (relative to standard airline food! obviously not expecting Michelin quality!) I wonder if expectations will be met for those travellers parting company with an extra £18?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
While I've been to a few of those places, none of them are my regular routes... but I think I might be tempted by this. Add extra legroom, a better meal... if you're not chasing tier points then, particularly on a 777-200, WT+ looks a little silly.

Would be good if golds got them as standard, though if I am going to make gold next year I'll have to avoid the back of planes.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
I was offered a trial of this but unfortunately I've not got anything booked on those routes.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Raise your hands anyone who thinks (as I do) that the purchase of such a meal will be the equivalent of a special meal in the Op-Up algorithm.....
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:56 pm

You can see it now.

Man sitting in CW.... "Erm excuse me steward, how come that person in economy has got a better meal than me"?

"They paid £18 for it sir!"
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
If you are paying for a meal separately, could you send it back if it is over/under cooked? In a restaurant you can, so why not in the sky, especially if it is an additional purchase to your standard ticket.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Purim
Raise your hands anyone who thinks (as I do) that the purchase of such a meal will be the equivalent of a special meal in the Op-Up algorithm.....
If the meals are actually worth the money then they wouldn't want you insisting on having your meal delivered to WT+, J, or F as everyone would want one.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I wonder if the standard meals will be further enhanced... To encourage us to buy the upgraded meals....
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Looking at the "themes" of the meal options I'm thinking that the upgraded meals will basically be a CW main with a "revamped" starter and a better dessert. If that's the case there must be some hope that the CW catering would have to be improved before its basically being offered in 3 cabins on LH flights
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:20 pm

I wonder how easy this will be for the cabin crew...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Not!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Interested to know...

...for all those not liking this idea. If you were offered a £15-£18 refund/cash (when flying J) to take the Y meal instead of J meal, would you go for it?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:18 pm

No, of course not.... Why pay £2-3k to get a few quid back ?!

Perhaps we could have boarding according to meal preference, so those that are not willing to pay extra sit right at the back, those that want an enhanced breakfast the next few rows, those that want lunch a bit further forward, and finally those that want a better dinner at the front of Y.
After all, BA have told us that they want to cater appropriately for the time if day....
This would help the crew, too as they could have the trolleys loaded appropriately. Only half joking.....
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
And of course to go with that meal.. you can purchase lounge access for £25 but if you don't get your booked and paid for meal you can always apply for a refund (but you wont get a club meal even if there is one as thats not allowed)..
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:04 pm

I would love to see what an £18 breakfast incorporated.

I find it hard that it could be any worse than the CW Breakfast offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.