Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LGW to SSH flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:05 am

Ukgooner, BA will never cut a route because the crew don't like it. There are plenty of destinations on the network that wouldn't be around if that was the case
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
Day 1: LGW-SSH-LGW - 13 hour duty
Day 2: LGW-BDA
Day 3/4: BDA-LGW - total duty for the BDA is 17 hrs 40 mins (I checked)
Day 5/6: days off.

By your reckoning, it's 29 hours in 7 days. The way it works in my head is 30 hour 40 mins in 4 days.
Anyways, all we're "entitled" to as far as breaks are concerned on the SSH is 20mins, which can be two lots of 10mins. If working at the front, one would have to go to the back galley to get some privacy, due to the lack of bulkhead at the front. I've said it before, but I really don't want to eat my meal whilst being watched by X amount of customers.
I really can't feel very much sympathy, to be honest this seems like a decent work-life balance for crew. I get one 24 hour rest period after 4 12.5 hour night shifts, I am supposed to have up to an hour of "natural" rest breaks - that is no protected time whatsoever and as I am the only person around at night, breaks are far from guaranteed.
Its not at all uncommon for people to work between 4 and 7 13 hour night shifts, with varying amounts of time off afterwords. Im thinking of healthcare workers, factory workers. Im thinking of farmers in summertime, 7 days a week, 16 hour days.
Honestly, one 13 hour day (lets be honest here, a proportion of it will be spent in the galley jump seats, but on-duty) in 5 is hardly unreasonable. I don't get any additional rest at all for a single 12.5 hour day, or a nice trip to the Bahamas!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Skimo
You might be shocked to learn that there are travellers beyond the confines of this august forum who don't consider a few hours on a narrow body aircraft akin to being waterboarded. Bit of perspective maybe?
There are also many who wouldn't consider the occasional 13hr day at work to be especially arduous either - especially if they were getting an extra 30 for it (assuming the BA basic salary covers minimum wage?)!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:21 am

For the record, I haven't asked for sympathy. I was asking for understanding and for people to be nice to the crew - which I'm sure most people on here would do.

In a previous life, I regularly worked 16 hour shifts, 5 or 6 days a week (before the rules changed). However, working as crew can be very tiring, if in a different way. I'm not saying that we should have a week off after one sector or anything silly like that!

I'll say it again: these flights for the crew will be hard going because of the many many complaints we'll get about the seats, legroom, lack of champagne/food/gin/beer etc, no IFE, lack of handluggage stowage. It's also a long day, with a short break (if that) for very little reward.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, QFF Gold, TK Elite
Egypt scrapping visa on arrival for individuals

Well if the Egyptian government has it's way, tourist numbers to SSH may be on the decline.

Can't see that many holidaymakers going to the trouble of getting a visa in advance when there are so many similar, hassle-free alternatives.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...idual-tourists

...not sure if those booking flights with accommodation through BA Holidays/TA will be considered to be on 'package tours' for the purpose of the new visa rules, and thus exempt, but could still have a significant impact.

Last edited by wjh5879; Mar 19, 2015 at 6:12 am Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I really can't feel very much sympathy, to be honest this seems like a decent work-life balance for crew. I get one 24 hour rest period after 4 12.5 hour night shifts, I am supposed to have up to an hour of "natural" rest breaks - that is no protected time whatsoever and as I am the only person around at night, breaks are far from guaranteed.
Its not at all uncommon for people to work between 4 and 7 13 hour night shifts, with varying amounts of time off afterwords. Im thinking of healthcare workers, factory workers. Im thinking of farmers in summertime, 7 days a week, 16 hour days.
Honestly, one 13 hour day (lets be honest here, a proportion of it will be spent in the galley jump seats, but on-duty) in 5 is hardly unreasonable. I don't get any additional rest at all for a single 12.5 hour day, or a nice trip to the Bahamas!
I assume your non-clinical?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Day 1: LGW-SSH-LGW - 13 hour duty
Day 2: LGW-BDA
Day 3/4: BDA-LGW - total duty for the BDA is 17 hrs 40 mins (I checked)
Day 5/6: days off.

By your reckoning, it's 29 hours in 7 days. The way it works in my head is 30 hour 40 mins in 4 days.
You can't really look at it in that way. Even 31 hours in a 7 day period is less than most people will work. It is certainly much less than I do in a week!

Anyways, all we're "entitled" to as far as breaks are concerned on the SSH is 20mins, which can be two lots of 10mins. If working at the front, one would have to go to the back galley to get some privacy, due to the lack of bulkhead at the front. I've said it before, but I really don't want to eat my meal whilst being watched by X amount of customers.
You are legally entitled to an uninterrupted period of not less than 20 minutes so if BA are saying they can force you to split in 10+10 then they are in dangerous territory.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold
For the record, I haven't asked for sympathy. I was asking for understanding and for people to be nice to the crew - which I'm sure most people on here would do.

In a previous life, I regularly worked 16 hour shifts, 5 or 6 days a week (before the rules changed). However, working as crew can be very tiring, if in a different way. I'm not saying that we should have a week off after one sector or anything silly like that!

I'll say it again: these flights for the crew will be hard going because of the many many complaints we'll get about the seats, legroom, lack of champagne/food/gin/beer etc, no IFE, lack of handluggage stowage. It's also a long day, with a short break (if that) for very little reward.
Well you get mine regardless. Good luck!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BLHD
I assume your non-clinical?
Nope, very much clinical and this is one of the better rest arrangements. Clinicians also have a further (non-paid, no protected time) commitment to audit, service improvement and appraisal.

My non-clinical colleagues are mostly 9-5, there are relatively few exceptions, other than Friday afternoons, which none in admin seems to work!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I used to a be a nurse. Flying is much more strenuous on the body, it's often said that an hour on the ground is worth two in the air. Add the time changes into the bag and it's not always fun. Flying is completely different to working in an office or a hospital. Of course every job has good and bad points but flying is hard on the body.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Subcard
Originally Posted by ukgooner
What (in your view) is a suitable "product"?
I would have thought a Qatar style configured A320 would be classed as a suitable product. IFE for all customers and comfortable/spacious recliners/flat beds in J. Seems to work well on their 4-6 Hour routes. You might actually get people willing to pay for CE (on this route) and then provides some differentiation from the low cost carriers in ET.

This would of course be putting the customer first. Sadly its going to be a case of cramming as many in as possible, I'm sure the free drinks will make it all worth it for paying customers.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Got that dreaded text and email today to advise change of times on SSH route. Now leaving Gatwick at 0900 arriving SSH 1620 returning 1710 arriving back into Gatwick at 2055 an hour later than originally ?scheduled. A lie in for the crew but less time before their BDA duties the following day ?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Got that dreaded text and email today to advise change of times on SSH route. Now leaving Gatwick at 0900 arriving SSH 1620 returning 1710 arriving back into Gatwick at 2055 an hour later than originally ?scheduled. A lie in for the crew but less time before their BDA duties the following day ?
Excellent news. With any luck it will get an hour later again before the schedule beds in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.