Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LGW to SSH flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: BAEC silver
Originally Posted by Gaza
I remember saying this many years ago on FT and I will say it again now: many people on here have lost all sense of reality. Only a small percentage of people will enjoy the trappings of First and Business Class, the rest will endure Y to SYD, AKL, et al. I say this as someone who hasn't done LH in anything other than F or J for 15 years.

On the subject of SSH; the vast majority will go to SSH on charters, just as I will be doing in 3 weeks time. We've booked an extra holiday and flying anything more glamorous wasn't an option, mostly from a financial standpoint. The only saving grace is I've coughed up a bit extra for the extra legroom seats on the BY757s -
http://www.thomson.co.uk/blog/2013/0...legroom-seats/

It won't be good but a laptop full of some new movie releases, the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad and hopefully a few beers will see me through it.
Good for you! BY/TOM know how to provide a service down to SSH. They have been doing it for years. BA?.... A bridge too far perhaps with the old/new 320s I reckon. At least BY/TOM will have beers onboard for your return. BA will run out on the outbound before Italy I presume. They simply don't seem to know what they are doing when planning these longer trips. As a result of these threads and TRs I have decided ditch BA on a LGW-TFS booking and go TOM instead a few weeks back. I want to know what I'm getting rather than keeping my fingers crossed. They were reliable and comfortable to BJV two years ago and I haven't heard of much change.

Perhaps BA should put up a banner over the aircraft on band 4s stating "Abandon hope all ye who board"? it is a shame really. I really would rather BA if they could provide something called service. As in expected service not "gotcha money don't give a flying f#%*" alla BA LGW 2015.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
TOM have some extra leg room seats (not exit rows or bulkhead) that have 34" pitch.
On a recent trip to TFS on their 757 we had window / aisle with an empty seat.
Knocked the socks of BA. Seriously.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold

On the subject of SSH; the vast majority will go to SSH on charters, just as I will be doing in 3 weeks time. We've booked an extra holiday and flying anything more glamorous wasn't an option, mostly from a financial standpoint.
Off topic - but do you mind me asking where you stay when you go to Sharm, Gaza?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I have a TFS flight in CE later this week which I am not looking forward to.
I did LGW-TFS in CE back in November, 1AC out, 2DF back. It was fine, I'm 6' and it was okay in row 2. The meal was a delicious spicy beef and the two male crew members were very attentive. I didn't drink on the flight back as I was driving from LGW but there didn't seem to be any bar problems. After the meal I was quite content with my book. I'd do this route again but next week I'm off to Lanzarote on Norwegian, the price was just too good to ignore.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I remember saying this many years ago on FT and I will say it again now: many people on here have lost all sense of reality. Only a small percentage of people will enjoy the trappings of First and Business Class, the rest will endure Y to SYD, AKL, et al. I say this as someone who hasn't done LH in anything other than F or J for 15 years.

On the subject of SSH; the vast majority will go to SSH on charters, just as I will be doing in 3 weeks time. We've booked an extra holiday and flying anything more glamorous wasn't an option, mostly from a financial standpoint. The only saving grace is I've coughed up a bit extra for the extra legroom seats on the BY757s -
http://www.thomson.co.uk/blog/2013/0...legroom-seats/

It won't be good but a laptop full of some new movie releases, the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad and hopefully a few beers will see me through it.
The sad fact is that charter flights now probably offer a higher standard (with the right package) than BA with extra legroom or pseudo J cabins. It also isn't a fair comparison comparing longhaul Y with IFE, decent food and drink offerings (on many carriers not BA) and better seats with BA's LCC alike SH seating.

I remember that lounge in SSH too, it was honestly the worst "lounge" I have ever visited worse even than CAI which Is something of an achievement. This is one thing I don't blame BA for as it is the only offerering. I would rather stay in the main concourse which has much more attractive eating and drinking venues even if you have to pay.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Magic01273
Off topic - but do you mind me asking where you stay when you go to Sharm, Gaza?
I would recommend the Royal Savoy if you fit the allowable demographic.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
....if you fit the allowable demographic.
what is the allowable demographic, dare I ask?

Edit - do you mean the "no children under 12" policy? If so, that more than acceptable for me
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Is this confirmed? I thought it would just be the extended TPs you get for Club Europe - ie 80tp each way.
Yes, definitely 140 TPs, shows as such on both the calculator and in my MMB. I'm starting from BRU and it's showing as 360 TPs return from there (and 15k Avios!) There was a debate about this in management circles, but the argument was that they couldn't treat it at a lower rate than CAI, which in the same country and nearer London.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:35 pm

can anyone please advise - is this route classed as a long-haul or short-haul ??

ie. post-April 28th, will we get a 'free' regional connection to London (long-haul), or will extra avios&taxes be charged ?

from what I can see it is a long-haul route, but on a short-haul plane (ie no fully flat beds), which doesn't make a lot of sense to me (but I am new to all of this!)

also - do BA fly this route from LHR, as otherwise a regional flight into LHR would then mean a long taxi ride/train to Gatwick, which would make this all a bit academic anyway....

cheers!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by drmish1
can anyone please advise - is this route classed as a long-haul or short-haul ??

ie. post-April 28th, will we get a 'free' regional connection to London (long-haul), or will extra avios&taxes be charged ?

from what I can see it is a long-haul route, but on a short-haul plane (ie no fully flat beds), which doesn't make a lot of sense to me (but I am new to all of this!)

also - do BA fly this route from LHR, as otherwise a regional flight into LHR would then mean a long taxi ride/train to Gatwick, which would make this all a bit academic anyway....

cheers!
It's classified Short Haul. Gatwick only.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by drmish1
It's definitely a short haul service, and also only from LGW (the National Express service isn't so bad between the two airports). As to whether the domestic add-on will be free, I don't actually know, but since it would be free for CAI, in theory I think the same would apply for SSH. It's not an RFS destination.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
I remember saying this many years ago on FT and I will say it again now: many people on here have lost all sense of reality.
^^^

Ulxima
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's definitely a short haul service, and also only from LGW (the National Express service isn't so bad between the two airports). As to whether the domestic add-on will be free, I don't actually know, but since it would be free for CAI, in theory I think the same would apply for SSH. It's not an RFS destination.
Thanks,

I'm sure that the answer to this will be 'no', but since I think it should be 'yes', I'll ask it anyway...! if you book a trip, eg NCL - LHR, LGW - SSH, all on the same ticket/booking, do BA transfer your luggage from LHR to LGW, since it is a 'through' booking that has been made.....? or was my initial assumption correct ?!

Also - where would I get clarification on the domestic add-on ?

Thanks a lot
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:20 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ukgooner
Is this confirmed? I thought it would just be the extended TPs you get for Club Europe - ie 80tp each way.
Yes. Sorry I have been out of internet range for the last few hours but I see cws has already answered. My notes on it are here. This have been confirmed as a 140 TP route by the GGL team and also shows as 140 TPs on the TP calculator.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I had replied here... don't know where it's disappeared to!... here goes again..

Thanks for that - another question however...

I think the answer to this will be a flat-out 'no', however, because I think it should be a 'yes', I'll ask it anyway!! - if booking NCL - LHR, LGW - SSH, on one ticket/booking, then will BA transfer your luggage from LHR to LGW.... ?

also, where would I find confirmation of whether the domestic add-on will be free?

Thanks a lot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.