Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LGW to SSH flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA235
Eh? What have I missed? What's the connection between the Sharm and Bermuda?
Staff sweetener: Slog yourself out to Egypt today, but it's Bermuda tomorrow, complete with a modest lie-in. They're all heart.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I see. Now I really feel sorry for the crew. How ghastly!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I'm sure if crew at TCX, TOM, MON and EZY can manage these Sharms day in and day out, and have done so for many many years, the award winning BA crew will be able to handle them.

But as a passenger I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go on a BA 320. Give me the TOM 757 with the extra legroom front cabin any day.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:35 pm

Yes, the likes of EZY, TOM ET al do these flights no problem. However, they get paid well for doing these flights - we don't. Also, most of the other airlines doing SSH (or similar) have BoB, whereas BA has the free stuff which is all well and good but not substantial enough. Unless the product changes significantly, we (the crew) are going to be in trouble, as we're the ones to get it in the neck.

In regards to the SSH/BDA connection: It was "sold" as a sweetener, as in "you're guaranteed a long haul for doing the SSH". If you don't turn up for the SSH, the BDA will be taken off you as well. Long haul is where we make our money, but it's really not worth it (for me and many others). As crew, we call it the Shermuda.

I really do wish I could be positive about this route, but I can't. I'm really sorry!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Do the G-GATx A320s have the ability to have bar/catering trollies loaded in the hold so as to return cater the flight ex london ?

If not surely they could outsource this locally ?

cs
Anyone ?

cs
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by A P Yu
I'm sure if crew at TCX, TOM, MON and EZY can manage these Sharms day in and day out, and have done so for many many years, the award winning BA crew will be able to handle them.

But as a passenger I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go on a BA 320. Give me the TOM 757 with the extra legroom front cabin any day.
No-ones questioning their ability to handle them. But the flights will be pretty awful, as they were when I worked for Monarch (the Egypt bullets were hated). But I realise you were having a dig, so forgive me for rising to the bait
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:59 pm

LGW-SSH is barely shorter than BOS-SNN yet the latter is generally considered long-haul and the former is generally seen as short-haul, so I guess the cut-off point is right between 5:45h and 6:20h.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Skimo
No-ones questioning their ability to handle them. But the flights will be pretty awful, as they were when I worked for Monarch (the Egypt bullets were hated). But I realise you were having a dig, so forgive me for rising to the bait
I think there is the perfect recipe here for a very poor customer experience. Whilst this applies to other routes too like LCA with a punishing day and turnaround, for SSH on shorthaul the demand upon staff is ludicrous.

So not only will this service offer a poor aircraft with even poorer than normal shorthaul seating, the normal relatively poor product with too little volume of drinks etc, loaded to meet the reasonable expectations of passengers. These flights are also likely to feature unenthusiastic crew (and I totally sympathise and understand why) on the outbound and very tired crew on the inbound.

I wouldn't put myself through this when better options are available. However I wouldn't be rushing back to SSH anyway when better destination options are available unless perhaps you are a diver.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Mar 18, 2015 at 2:36 am
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
Yes, the likes of EZY, TOM ET al do these flights no problem. However, they get paid well for doing these flights - we don't. Also, most of the other airlines doing SSH (or similar) have BoB, whereas BA has the free stuff which is all well and good but not substantial enough. Unless the product changes significantly, we (the crew) are going to be in trouble, as we're the ones to get it in the neck.
So, the level of service a customer can expect is based on how much the crew can earn on a particular route?

I would have thought that BoB would be a bigger PITA for crew than handing out freebies. After all they are having to handle cash that needs to be reconciled at the end of the flights.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I think there is the perfect recipe here for a very poor customer experience. Whilst this applies to other routes too like LCA with a punishing day and turnaround, for SSH on shorthaul the demand upon staff is ludicrous.

So not only will thus service offer a poor aircraft with even poorer than normal shorthaul seating, the normal relatively poor product with too little volume of drinks etc, loaded to meet the reasonable expectations of passengers. These flights are also likely to feature unenthusiastic crew (and I totally sympathise and understand why) on the outbound and very tired crew on the inbound.

I wouldn't put myself through this when better options are available. However I wouldn't be rushing back to SSH anyway when better destination options are available unless perhaps you are a diver.
Blimey - thanks! I couldn't BE more excited about my trip in Sept after that!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Magic01273
Blimey - thanks! I couldn't BE more excited about my trip in Sept after that!
Lie back (or rather slump uncomfortably in your seat) and think of the TPs
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaza
So, the level of service a customer can expect is based on how much the crew can earn on a particular route?

I would have thought that BoB would be a bigger PITA for crew than handing out freebies. After all they are having to handle cash that needs to be reconciled at the end of the flights.
I am sure the crew will try to do their best but they can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

I think the difference with BoB is that it is self restricting as many will be too tight to put their hand in their pocket or will limit their consumption rather than order 10 G&T's "because it is free".
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton DIA, Accor Plat, IHG Spire, Marriot Titanium Elite, Total Rewards Diamond
Anybody know if BA will load these for redemption? - I cant see anything at the moment.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Lie back (or rather slump uncomfortably in your seat) and think of the TPs
It's a redemption booking!!! {{WAILS}}
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Simmonds87
Anybody know if BA will load these for redemption? - I cant see anything at the moment.
Yes - they have been loaded. Dates were available in WT and CE during Oct/Nov/Dec and onward I believe, when I looked a few days ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.