Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a £10 discount; £15 on LHR-PRG; and £20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from £7 to £21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was £23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by kdhurst380
    In a nutshell, I don't think status holders are who BA have in mind for targeting HBO fares towards.
    Well the latest Hilliergram to Golds and GGLs specifically trumpeted HBO fares.

See this thread.
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
    Originally Posted by Ldnn1
    Well the latest Hilliergram to Golds and GGLs specifically trumpeted HBO fares.

See this thread.
    I should have elaborated a bit better, I'm sure there are many outside of these forums that hold said statuses that are probably not fazed or simply don't care for the extra frivolities such as seats etc.

I still maintain, however, that these fares are more targeted towards price conscious/limited budget travellers, who may not have even considered BA before. You'd be surprised at how many flock to the likes of easyJet/Monarch etc because they just assume they are the cheapest, or simply because they enjoy the experience (I've seen this particularly with Monarch, and I can't really see what all the fuss is about from the flights I've had with them, so it goes to show).

A bit of advertising around and about and BA might just have this one in the bag.
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:48 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA might just have this one in the bag.
    A shame they aren't permitted a bag
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:48 am

I should have elaborated a bit better, I'm sure there are many outside of these forums that hold said statuses that are probably not fazed or simply don't care for the extra frivolities such as seats etc.

I still maintain, however, that these fares are more targeted towards price conscious/limited budget travellers, who may not have even considered BA before. You'd be surprised at how many flock to the likes of easyJet/Monarch etc because they just assume they are the cheapest, or simply because they enjoy the experience (I've seen this particularly with Monarch, and I can't really see what all the fuss is about from the flights I've had with them, so it goes to show).

A bit of advertising around and about and BA might just have this one in the bag.
    Rather misses the point of HBO fares. These are supposed to be a reduction in fare based on the reduced cost to the airline. They are not CHEAP fares -

Aberdeen - London
    Depart 13 Mar 2015, 14:55
    Arrive 13 Mar 2015, 16:30
    Flight BA1309
    Operated by British Airways
    Cabin Domestic

London - Aberdeen
    Depart 16 Mar 2015, 06:55
    Arrive 16 Mar 2015, 08:25
    Flight BA1304
    Operated by British Airways
    Cabin Domestic
    Flights £413.74

That is an HBO fare.
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:56 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12D508 Safari/600.1.4)

It's amusing how many people on this thread (who presumably don't fly much or only book far in advance?) keep associating HBO with "cheap". It's not. It has unbundled a part of the service (baggage) passing on part of a saving that BA make to the customer.
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: ABBA
    Originally Posted by Kgmm77
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_2 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12D508 Safari/600.1.4)

It's amusing how many people on this thread (who presumably don't fly much or only book far in advance?) keep associating HBO with "cheap". It's not. It has unbundled a part of the service (baggage) passing on part of a saving that BA make to the customer.
    Does Ba make a saving on selling a hbo fare rather than a normal fare for someone who doesn't check a bag in?
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
    Originally Posted by Kgmm77

Does Ba make a saving on selling a hbo fare rather than a normal fare for someone who doesn't check a bag in?
    From a cost perspective, absolutely.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid response
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
    Do we know if we'll be able to change our seat allocations post March 27th for HBO tickets bought before then under the "old" rules?
    Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
    Essentially, yes. The new fares are cheaper (granted not by much in some circumstances) whilst still giving the full BA onboard 'experience'. If you're booking yourself the cheapest possible fare you can find, then chances are you are price conscious and have other browser windows open comparing competitor airlines. If BA were to allow status holders to select these fares whilst getting all their benefits, then they lose that revenue stream that they put into place; sweep up passengers from other airlines.

I take your point about EJ+ holders, but then look at Ryanair & Jet2 who have no such schemes and the picture is the same.

I'm no expert, I'm just a veteran to flying with lots of different airlines and having no real loyalty to any particular one (see my own status - or lack of!), so maybe it's easier for me to see a different perspective and BA's point of view on this, which is that the 'old fashioned' all inclusive fare still exists in the same price bracket that it did before; so if you want the all inclusive fare with lassociated benefits, then that's the one you need to choose.

In a nutshell, I don't think status holders are who BA have in mind for targeting HBO fares towards.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but you keep referring to HBO fares as if they are a new initiative from BA, at a lower price. HBO fares have been around for a couple of years, and I haven't seen anything that indicates BA are reducing the HBO fares as part of this change.

If you have evidence this is the case, then there is less reason for anyone to complain. If not, your point is theoretically correct, just a couple of years late. The issue at hand is that BA (possibly erroneously, but they were feeling less bullish then) allowed free seat selection for status pax when launching HBO, so now they find themselves in a position of removing something rather than never giving it in the first place - always a weaker position, and they have other LH business at risk, which U2/FR et al do not.

BA may not have intended to target status pax with these fares, but they were stupid to underestimate the take-up. It was always going to happen, and they should have known better. Presumably they had the data of how often pax checked in a bag pre-HBO. I can't remember the last time I checked in a bag on a SH flight on BA (apart from family holidays), long before HBO fares existed on BA. I'm not bothered by this change, for me it just means BA are less competitive vs others with seat selection included and will lose bookings accordingly, but I don't think you can talk about their target market as if this is a new product.
    Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:49 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
    I'm trying to book a flight to DUB after March 26 but even with my EXP (OWE) FF # in, its asking me to pay for a seat (which is greater than the HBO vs non HBO difference). I thought the policy didn't effect any booking made prior to March 26?
    Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by sts603
    I'm trying to book a flight to DUB after March 26 but even with my EXP (OWE) FF # in, its asking me to pay for a seat (which is greater than the HBO vs non HBO difference). I thought the policy didn't effect any booking made prior to March 26?
    I assume that you're at the pre-confirmation stage, and haven't actually booked. If so, there's a known bug that tries to charge for seats, even when status has been applied.

Ignore the option at this stage, complete the booking and then go back into Manage My Booking. You'll be able to select your seats for free then, according to other posters' experiences.
    Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
    Originally Posted by LHR-HUB

I've read through this whole thread over the last week or so, and a recurrent theme is that this has no financial impact to BA at all (if anything, some of the IT people seems to think it may actually cost money as a new variable has to be included in the code somewhere).
    I think this is at the heart of the decision, but contrary to what many on here say, BA clearly do see that it has a financial impact and enough to introduce a change that irritates their frequent flyers.

I expect BACH business travellers will book HBO fares knowing that with their status, they can have a reasonably comfortable journey. There is little incentive to pay for more expensive fares. BA clearly want to change that.
    Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:52 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
    Originally Posted by sts603
    I've literally just booked an HBO fare for a flight next week (it was confirming when this page started loading ), and as a BA Gold could choose my seat. Sounds, as per the other response, like a bug rather than a feature.
    Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
    Just booked a cheap HBO fare for June.

Always before, when checking MMB, I've been preallocated seats near the front of the plane. This time however, it pre-allocated me 25A and 25B right at the back, which are the absolute worst seats on the A319 by the loo, with no window. This was on an otherwise empty plane.

Thank goodness I was able to change them, but I wonder if this is reflecting where they are going to shove all the HBO passengers in the future!
    Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:15 am
    Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
    Originally Posted by continentalclub
    I assume that you're at the pre-confirmation stage, and haven't actually booked. If so, there's a known bug that tries to charge for seats, even when status has been applied.

Ignore the option at this stage, complete the booking and then go back into Manage My Booking. You'll be able to select your seats for free then, according to other posters' experiences.
    That solved the problem. Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.