Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Today's Hilliergram - Utterly rage inducing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club

Everyone else got their Hilliergram today? How can BA be serious? They kick BAEC members in the teeth with all the recent 'enhancements' and then they spout forth about how wonderful their service is....

Do BA not understand how ill-judged missives like this are?

"Dear opalfruit,

If you have a business trip pencilled in, why not take a look at how we're making things easier for you? We've handpicked ways we think we can make your journey as smooth as possible. Not to mention a host of great offers.

See how you can get the most from your journey today."

The offers and 'handpicked ways' are as follows:

Free one-way First upgrade - only if you book semi-flex CW return and travel within the next 30 days. Amazing!

- I'd imagine that the cheapest way to take advantage of this offer (remembering you need to travel within the next 30 days) would be to spend £2.5k on a semi-flex ticket to DME. Which is great, except you can buy a straight F return on the same plane for £2k! Yes, I realise flex-vs-non-flex, but it hardly qualifies as a free upgrade.

A derisory bonus Avios offer, if you fly on selected routes, on semi-flex or above fares.

- Earn 7k Avios if you book an F return (5k in CW, 2.5k in W, 1k in full-fare Y!) to a handful of destinations. Such generosity!

More flights from City Airport!

- This is merely robbing Peter to pay Paul - for every new service, another one gets cut. Yes, there's some new Mediterranean bucket and spade destinations, but not enough services to business and financial centres.

Hand baggage fares from only £39 from Gatwick!

Icing on the cake. Brilliant. Thanks for the hot discount BA, which is not at all offset by the seat selection charges you've just introduced on these fares.

I remain utterly convinced that BA are actively trying to shed BAEC custom - the EC is an expensive add-on to maintain for their target LCC model, so slim it down and keep hold of the long-haul luxury fliers and to hell with the rest.

Rage inducing.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I had the same 'handpicked' offers
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Clearly there is a terrible IT problem because my hand-picked offers were exactly the same.

Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
The email actually made me chuckle as i knew it would come straight on here for more enertaining discussion. I definitely like how everything on it is pretty much completely irrelevant to my flying habits (which are going to zero anyway). I like more lcy flights as i will take scotland to europe connections through lcy any day, but more flights to current destinations wont help as the existing were fine for me. Oh well, i await the next email with glee!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:38 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Somewhere at Waterside there's a Tupperware lunchbox containing a small number of low-cost/zero-cost marketing promos written on folded up bits of paper.

A few days ago a few were pulled out of the box, and hey presto - handpicked.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Clearly there is a terrible IT problem because my hand-picked offers were exactly the same.
Hand picked doesn't mean exclusive.....

opalfruit, I'm not sure that I'd advise getting enraged by such an email. It seems like a lot of energy to expend on something that isn't particularly important
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Yep, got it too. Was about to complain and then calmed down. No point.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by matthandy

opalfruit, I'm not sure that I'd advise getting enraged by such an email. It seems like a lot of energy to expend on something that isn't particularly important
Yes raising the blood pressure over something like this seems a bit OTT. Especially as it's easily fixed by changing the mailing preferences in your BAEC account.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Well b*gger me, a Hillergram that actually is beneficial.. I'm going to ORD... I had deleted it without reading until I saw this thread.

Note to self: occasionally Hillergrams have something worthwhile in them
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:28 am

I'm always perplexed by the seemingly never ending rants on here about this... It's like they live in a bubble and this is their only experience with seeing advertising.

A generic BA email sent to millions didn't give the same level of insight as a personal travel agent would!? Who would have thought!?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Wow, people really find this stuff "rage-inducing"? If that's the case then it's definitely time to just simply delete these emails or move on (probably both), for your own sake.

If an email from Lidl brought about such fury in me then I'd probably think it's time I had a change and tried Aldi. (We're clearly not talking Waitrose and M&S here.)

Nearly all emails that come from companies advertising special offers or whatever are hardly all they're cracked up to be so I don't expect BA to be any different in that regard.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I have learnt to pick out the mass Hilliergram in order to ignore them for the same reason.

If there is worthy of note, I find out about it on FT.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
I haven't received anything Though, it looks like I'm not missing much and hardly on the scale of the last ones sent out.

H
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by where2travel
Wow, people really find this stuff "rage-inducing"? If that's the case then it's definitely time to just simply delete these emails or move on (probably both), for your own sake.

If an email from Lidl brought about such fury in me then I'd probably think it's time I had a change and tried Aldi. (We're clearly not talking Waitrose and M&S here.)

Nearly all emails that come from companies advertising special offers or whatever are hardly all they're cracked up to be so I don't expect BA to be any different in that regard.
Apparently so. I think people sometimes forget that BA are doing what any good business does; trying to make money.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
No "warm regards"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.