Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer

Hand Baggage Only fares (HBO) are available on domestic and EuroTraveller routes. They are offered at a lower price to those able to travel without checked baggage on point to point journeys only - they are not offered with connections, stopovers or with Club Europe. There isn't a special fare bucket for HBO, it's just a discount to all domestic/ET fare buckets, so even expensive flexible tickets offer HBO. The discount varies depending on route. For example, going HBO on LHR-DUB gives a Ł10 discount; Ł15 on LHR-PRG; and Ł20 on LHR-ATH. Online Travel Agents often book into these fares (including building stopovers) and are sometimes less than transparent about the baggage restrictions during the booking process. HBO fares do not earn OnBusiness credits.

BAEC status passengers from Bronze upwards get advance seat choice with these tickets.

How to get seat allocation if HBO and without status:
    - Pay up. You can pay up at OLCI if you don't like the seat. Costs vary from Ł7 to Ł21 per sector as a minimum, with differential pricing employed for better seats (e.g. an exit row on LHR-DUB was Ł23 in June 2017). Usually, but not always, this invalidates the cost saving of HBO. You can also pay up in Manage My Booking (MMB) before OLCI.
    - Cancel OLCI at the "confirm contact details" stage. Go in again and/or later and you may be offered another seat.
    - Corporate travel bookings still offer seating to HBO in some cases. Sometimes this ability is temporary and doesn't stick.
    - Ask check-in or the lounge agent for a better seat, so far this seems to be possible. Lounge agents won't be able to assist where they aren't part of the ground handling for BA (e.g. LBA).
    - If your airport has a Self Service Check In (SSCI) machine AND you do not print your boarding pass (see below) then you can select another seat there provided check-in is still open, typically up to 46 minutes before take off. So if you are being allocated a rotten seat and you can see better seats available, you can take a risk and complete/commence check-in later.

SSCI machines are available at: LHR, LGW, LCY, MAN, EDI (on the general purpose airport machines, but only those by the BA check-in area), NCE, BRU, OSL, BLL, AAR, MUC, AMS.
    They are NOT available at: ABZ, BHD, GLA, LBA, NCL, DUB, CDG, ORY, SVG, DUS, TXL, MAH, CFU, OLB, CTA, CAG, FDH, ANE, UIP, BIO, HER, SVQ, PMI, BRI.
    You can also do this operation the night before at LGW and LHR, details here.

By "printing boarding pass" we mean not selecting that option at OLCI, or saving, emailing, faxing and/or downloading the boarding pass on the App.
    Print Wikipost

HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [free for GCH/SCH/BCHs @ 14 Jun 17]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by simons1
    Does Easyjet give you lounge access then?
    No, but priority pass does.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
    Originally Posted by simons1

Does Easyjet give you lounge access then?
    No, that's what the Priority Pass is for. The quality of lounges available is variable but no more so than BA outstations...

EasyJet Plus gives you free seat selection, plus airport handling like speedy boarding and fast bag drop.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
    Originally Posted by andset1191
    Certainly no celebration of how 97% of redemptions will cost the same or fewer Avios like previous wholesale changes.

In the words of my father:
    Dramatically reduced avios earning
    Dramatically more expensive reward flight saver spending
    Loss of seat selection on hand baggage only

British Airways, it's over.
    You could also say it did last very long given that the reduced avios earning only takes things back to where they used to be and the other two products (RFS and HBO) didn't even exist five years ago!
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
    Originally Posted by paul4040
    No, that's what the Priority Pass is for. The quality of lounges available is variable but no more so than BA outstations...

EasyJet Plus gives you free seat selection, plus airport handling like speedy boarding and fast bag drop.
    Also some fastrack security such as at my home airport - EDI, but generally I find that mainly that is not the case at most destinations. However it is a benefit for me given all my home location.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:06 am
    FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

+1.

I would agree that U2+ + PP = silver benefits "plus" as you effectively get anytime lounge access, free access to row 1 seats, and typically, in practice an empty middle seat on non-full flights if you choose your seat assignment to the front in a row where one other seat is taken.

Also bear in mind that since your Silver card (or Gold or GGL for that matter) won't get you an assigned seat, if this matters to you, you also need to start factoring that cost on the other side of the equation.

So it is not Ł400 vs 0. Rather, if you typically travel HBO like I do and you want equivalent service, it will be Ł400 (on U2+PP) vs Ł15 x shorthaul Y one way trips (on BA).

Last point, just a reminder that on return trips, U2 allows you to take a same day earlier return flight for free. Truth be told, their frequencies mean that it only is a realistic option on some of their busiest routes, but I have used it myself 3 or 4 times and it always worked perfectly well. No question asked and put on the next available flight from the time I reached the airport, even when I was travelling on a Ł15 ticket!!

Last edited by orbitmic; Mar 9, 2015 at 3:30 am
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:13 am

Good result. That's worth considering.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...

And a 2nd piece of hand luggage from 19 March if you have easyJet Plus card or buy an upfront/extra legroom seat.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
    And a 2nd piece of hand luggage from 19 March if you have easyJet Plus card or buy an upfront/extra legroom seat.
    Last week I saw this at LNZ, was expecting to have to stuff my small item in my larger bag but the gate staff seemed fairly relaxed about bags.

Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
    Originally Posted by Prospero
    There appears to be a systemic hand-baggage management problem effecting the refitted A321s. Simply put, the volume of hand-baggage being brought on board exceeds locker space capacity.
    Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
    I actually think the problem is greatest on the refitted A319s.
    With the caveat that I only very occasionally get on a domestic as most SH for me is to Europe, I have to agree with the above observations that the hand luggage issue has become completely unmanageable. I've suffered it on all three the A319, A320 and A321 aircraft.

Personal experience is somewhat anecdotal by definition, but I've had quite a few substantial delays of late as a direct result of the hand luggage fiasco. This has a further implication in that the process of taking luggage off people to put in the hold at the gate (which I have seen happen a lot more in recent times than I can remember from the past) also messes up the priority boarding as they put the pax affected in the holding area behind the scanners, so when priority boarding starts it's nothing of the sort.

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
    The difference is those of you who do pay for yourselves can.
    Well, I do travel on my own money pretty much all of the time. I'm not very much affected by the recent changes other than the fact that my Silver card will earn me less Avios in future since I never travel on HBO and pretty much always book in a premium cabin. I can live with the reduced Avios for Silvers as it does not seem unreasonable to me that some distinction between Silver and Gold is made as long as it's reasonable.
    However, the general trend over the last 2 years or so has been for BA to continue to erode its products and FFP. As such, I'd happily move my business to another airline, but as you say there is just not enough of an alternative at the moment and I still quite like the LH product in combination with the Britishness of BA.
    Despite being affected only fairly modestly by the recent changes, I've started to think about how I could reorganise myself on a different pattern. The business deal has always been that I give my business to BA and in return I get a decent set of benefits. With the latter getting more and more eroded, I'm soon going to end up not bothering with the former either.

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
    Gimme a break Orbitmic! I never claimed to be a sophisticated investor!
    An oxymoron if I ever saw one.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
    Originally Posted by FrancisA
    You could also say it did last very long given that the reduced avios earning only takes things back to where they used to be and the other two products (RFS and HBO) didn't even exist five years ago!
    True, but in that time IMO, many of BA's competitors have put clear water between their product and BA's, especially on LH. They are betting the cabins will still be full regardless. Maybe, maybe not.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
    Your Response from BA Customer Relations

Interesting response. First sent my feedback to GGL who thence sent my comments to GGL Customer Relations. Some of the commentary is quite cut and paste however I am glad to see some hope of a review of the decision towards the end of the message:

Dear Docgasman

Thanks for your email about the change to our Hand Baggage Only fares. As a Gold Guest List member, I totally understand your annoyance that you will no longer be able to select your seat at the time of booking. I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain why the decision was made to remove free seating from Hand Baggage Only fares.

Our Hand Baggage Only fares are currently available on a number of routes from our three London airports. This type of fare allows customers to take advantage of a cheaper fare, while continuing to receive a generous hand baggage allowance.

From the research we’ve done it’s clear these fares appeal to many different people, from those who are travelling light, to people who may not mind where they sit on the aircraft. When travelling on these fares you can still benefit from allocated seating at check-in, in-flight refreshments and British Airways’ renowned service.

The change to our Hand Baggage Only fares has been made so we’re able to compete more effectively in a challenging market by offering competitive fares to more routes than ever before.

I totally agree that it seems unfair to impose the same policy on Gold Guest List members as Bronze members and non Executive Club members. We're closely monitoring feedback about the change to our Hand Baggage Only policy and I've passed on your comments to our Customer Experience team.

I genuinely hope that the policy is re-evaluated and that free seating is reintroduced for our high value passengers.

I understand why you feel we should reduce the benefits we offer our Bronze members and I appreciate that boarding is busier now Bronze members have priority boarding. I've fed back your suggestions to one of the managers within the Executive Club.

Thanks for contacting us and for your useful comments. We value your loyalty as a very high value Gold Guest List member and I hope you enjoy your flight to London City on Wednesday.

Best regards
    Gold Guest List Customer Relations
    British Airways
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by docgasman
    Interesting response. First sent my feedback to GGL who thence sent my comments to GGL Customer Relations. Some of the commentary is quite cut and paste however I am glad to see some hope of a review of the decision towards the end of the message:

Dear Docgasman

Wow - that's refreshingly honest from a customer care team.

Sounds like some members of the company might not be in agreement here.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Varies
    Originally Posted by docgasman

Dear Docgasman

Thanks for your email about the change to our Hand Baggage Only fares. As a Gold Guest List member, I totally understand your annoyance that you will no longer be able to select your seat at the time of booking. I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

I'd like to take this opportunity to explain why the decision was made to remove free seating from Hand Baggage Only fares.

Our Hand Baggage Only fares are currently available on a number of routes from our three London airports. This type of fare allows customers to take advantage of a cheaper fare, while continuing to receive a generous hand baggage allowance.

From the research we’ve done it’s clear these fares appeal to many different people, from those who are travelling light, to people who may not mind where they sit on the aircraft. When travelling on these fares you can still benefit from allocated seating at check-in, in-flight refreshments and British Airways’ renowned service.

The change to our Hand Baggage Only fares has been made so we’re able to compete more effectively in a challenging market by offering competitive fares to more routes than ever before.

I totally agree that it seems unfair to impose the same policy on Gold Guest List members as Bronze members and non Executive Club members. We're closely monitoring feedback about the change to our Hand Baggage Only policy and I've passed on your comments to our Customer Experience team.

I genuinely hope that the policy is re-evaluated and that free seating is reintroduced for our high value passengers.

I understand why you feel we should reduce the benefits we offer our Bronze members and I appreciate that boarding is busier now Bronze members have priority boarding. I've fed back your suggestions to one of the managers within the Executive Club.

Thanks for contacting us and for your useful comments. We value your loyalty as a very high value Gold Guest List member and I hope you enjoy your flight to London City on Wednesday.

Best regards
    Gold Guest List Customer Relations
    British Airways
    So it sounds like, as a lowly Bronze member. it's not worth me writing to BA to give them my thoughts.
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
    Originally Posted by ttama
    So it sounds like, as a lowly Bronze member. it's not worth me writing to BA to give them my thoughts.
    it was a "try and make them feel better" "butter them up a bit" type of response

whether it eventually results in reversals of decisions only time will tell

but if the do reverse the decision I would only see it happening for GGL not regular golds
    Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
    HBO fares - Have to pay to select seat in advance [even for GCH/SCH/BCHs]

It's very unusual for an agent to give their personal opinion ("I totally agree") in a CS response. Interesting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.