Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Duty free and customs when returning from Ex-EU trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty free and customs when returning from Ex-EU trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
When connecting through LHR on to a domestic sector I always assumed you declared what you wanted at your final destination whether you had kept it on you or had it in your checked luggage. I've never seen anything written down telling me to do otherwise.

Seems a silly rule to have when you could just put it in your checked luggage as soon as you collect it.
Yes - it's a silly rule - and pretty much impossible to comply with if you have a connecting flight to catch. But that's what I was told by HMRC, in writing.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by SilverSkier
Yes - it's a silly rule - and pretty much impossible to comply with if you have a connecting flight to catch. But that's what I was told by HMRC, in writing.
Also on their website (admittedly this is for commercial goods, but the same principle applies):

What will happen if I am travelling on to another EU (air)port?

It will depend on whether your MIB [merchandise in baggage] is in your cabin or hold baggage.

(a) hold baggage - if your MIB is in the hold of the aircraft and is in transit to another EU airport, you will not be able to declare it in the UK. It cannot be dealt with until you clear your hold baggage at your final destination

(b) cabin baggage:

transit passengers - if your MIB is in your cabin baggage and, after a short stopover in the UK, you are travelling on to another EU airport on the same aircraft, your cabin baggage should be declared at your final destination
transfer passengers - if your MIB is in your cabin baggage, and you are travelling on to another EU airport on a different aircraft, you must declare the goods in the UK. You will have the option of either paying any customs charges, or completing a Community Transit (CT) declaration for the MIB to be cleared at your final destination. Note: to avoid transfer delays you are strongly advised to carry MIB goods in your hold baggage for clearance at your final destination

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
I would have said yes as Switzerland is not in the EU.
Yes, that would make sense, but I just wasn't sure if there were any odd rules about merely transiting outside the EU before immediately coming back, and whether that is truly "exporting" the goods from the EU.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
As I said, badly thought out.
The thing is if you were for example bringing in a swiss watch as a gift, that cost
And your routing was ZRH-LON-MAN. It make sense that you declare it at London.
Otherwise, if you were not honest, you could walk out of the terminal, give the gift to (?)
Re enter the controls and catch your DOM flight.
In reality, I am sure this happens all the time....
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: EBG, BAEC GGL/CCR, SPG Plat100, HHD
Originally Posted by raikje
Also on their website (admittedly this is for commercial goods, but the same principle applies):

What will happen if I am travelling on to another EU (air)port?

It will depend on whether your MIB [merchandise in baggage] is in your cabin or hold baggage.

(a) hold baggage - if your MIB is in the hold of the aircraft and is in transit to another EU airport, you will not be able to declare it in the UK. It cannot be dealt with until you clear your hold baggage at your final destination

(b) cabin baggage:

transit passengers - if your MIB is in your cabin baggage and, after a short stopover in the UK, you are travelling on to another EU airport on the same aircraft, your cabin baggage should be declared at your final destination
transfer passengers - if your MIB is in your cabin baggage, and you are travelling on to another EU airport on a different aircraft, you must declare the goods in the UK. You will have the option of either paying any customs charges, or completing a Community Transit (CT) declaration for the MIB to be cleared at your final destination. Note: to avoid transfer delays you are strongly advised to carry MIB goods in your hold baggage for clearance at your final destination

Yes, that would make sense, but I just wasn't sure if there were any odd rules about merely transiting outside the EU before immediately coming back, and whether that is truly "exporting" the goods from the EU.
I have a semi-serious question in regards to this. Although my case is commercial goods that are originating from an EU country, but on return from a non-EU country [e.g. having been abroad to sell goods].

In my case the export declaration is all electronic and is of course made by me when leaving from ex-EU (non-UK). I do get a stamped slip - but this is only having the reference number to the declaration on it.

So how on Earth am I meant to prove the country of origin to UK customs on my return leg say NYC-LON-SOMEWHEREINEU ??? Typically I travel with some checked in and some in the carry on.

Nowadays I always declare the whole thing when re-entering my country of departure and it has never raised any issues. There is no duty to be collected anyway, but just interested in how exactly I am meant to prove the country of origin to UK customs when all I have is an export receipt with a reference number to a foreign customs system...

edit: Well I guess I have kind of answered my own question. I should complete a transiting goods form... Meh, doubt I can be bothered with that anytime soon. Have to do those forms often enough when transiting Norway! (and then it is very important as it is non-EU - to avoid paying silly fees)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I would also add, particularly if you're importing something very expensive, that some research into the correct harmonised commodity code could be highly advantageous - there are many duty bands for import from many countries which are 0% ... and equally some up at low single or double digit percentages, which could make an enormous difference to the bill!

Getting money back once you've declared under a wrong code is a herculean task (I know, having recently been part of trying to do it with HMRC when a courier ignored our instructions and declared under a non-zero percentage code). Best to get it right up-front ...
This is a very good point. Flew from LHR to get a BRU-JNB-BRU and then a flight back to LHR. I had bought paintings in South Africa, claimed the SA VAT back at JNB. I then hit Customs at Brussels as my BRU-LHR was on a separate ticket. They seemed surprised when went through the red zone and when I pulled out my receipts etc. I had the Tax Code printed out and knew that it was 6% import and 0% VAT for paintings - yet the Belgian tax inspector said, 'no, it will be much more than that' - and then he went into the office and checked. He came out surprised and said 'you are right' and then I paid in cash. If I hadn't had the tax code it could have been a longer wait. I then went through the blue channel at LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.