Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Duty free and customs when returning from Ex-EU trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Tomorrow I'll be returning from an ex-EU trip travelling LAS-LHR-AMS-LHR

If I get duty free at LAS can I bring this through security at LHR and AMS? I think the answer at LHR is yes as I can show a previous day's receipt but not 100% sure and I have no idea about at AMS

Finally, when I arrive back at LHR which channel should I take at customs? I'll be arriving from AMS but I won't have made landside there as I Intend to stay airside at the lounge before my onward trip

TIA
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I wouldn't bother if you are brining back liquids, Not convinced you will get them thro' security.... You clear Customs at your point of first arrival in the EU. When you return from AMS you should exit thro' the blue EU arrivals.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Just to add that I'm travelling HBO so I can't put any duty free at AMS or LHR into a checked bag for the final leg
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Do you have a short connection at AMS? If you're just turning around you will avoid having to go through security at AMS, and ultimately clear customs when you finally arrive at LHR. So yes, it is possible to bring liquids through LHR and AMS.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Prospero
Do you have a short connection at AMS? If you're just turning around you will avoid having to go through security at AMS, and ultimately clear customs when you finally arrive at LHR. So yes, it is possible to bring liquids through LHR and AMS.
Unfort not. I know that on back to backs at AMS you can skip security but I've got a 2 1/4hr turnaround so was intending to visit the new lounge as I've not been to the new one before (realise it's a bit of a trek!).

Not sure a cheap bottle of tanqueray is worth spending that much time sat by the gate though

Last edited by AyeCaramba; Feb 10, 2015 at 6:29 pm Reason: iPhone spellcheck grrrrrrr
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:28 pm

No it's not. Why not buy a stone bottle of The Dutch equivalent ?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by AyeCaramba
Unfort not. I know that on back to backs at AMS you can skip security but I've got a 2 1/4hr turnaround so was intending to visit the new lounge as I've not been to the new one before (realise it's a bit of a trek!).

Not sure a cheap bottle of tanqueray is worth spending that much time sat by the gate though
If the bag containing the Tanqueray is intact and has not been tampered with, it should still pass the security check at AMS.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Prospero
If the bag containing the Tanqueray is intact and has not been tampered with, it should still pass the security check at AMS.
Absolutely, to avoid the risk of confiscation do ensure your duty free liquids are placed by the shop/airline in to a tamper-proof sealed bag with the receipt inside.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
My experience is that duty free is not work buying EX-USA. I have often found it to be as expensive as buying it in the high street.

Do they still offer the buy and collect service at Heathrow? or cant you just buy it as you exit customs?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
My experience is that duty free is not work buying EX-USA. I have often found it to be as expensive as buying it in the high street.

Do they still offer the buy and collect service at Heathrow? or cant you just buy it as you exit customs?
I usually buy the T10 on board, it's 24 for a liter on BA which isn't a bad price.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:34 am

I have lost my duty-free connecting at T5 from long-haul to EDI!

And I have had a gulp of interesting vodka and 20-year-old Scotch in the security queues at LHR when others have been told to surrender their duty-free - or drink it.

It only happens once, and you give up on duty-free.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by flygod
It only happens once, and you give up on duty-free.
Go landside and check it in?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:42 am

Maybe, but AyeCaramba is flying HBO....
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:26 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
On a related question, for those wanting to buy duty free in the EU when flying back to and terminating in LHR - what is the minimum required to make purchases without tax? Do you need a connecting boarding pass to a destination out of the EU? Or would some type of itinerary be sufficient? If the former, probably not worth the effort to book a refundable connecting reservation to get a BP and then cancel but if a dummy itinerary would suffice, that's a different story.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by sts603
On a related question, for those wanting to buy duty free in the EU when flying back to and terminating in LHR - what is the minimum required to make purchases without tax? Do you need a connecting boarding pass to a destination out of the EU? Or would some type of itinerary be sufficient? If the former, probably not worth the effort to book a refundable connecting reservation to get a BP and then cancel but if a dummy itinerary would suffice, that's a different story.
It very much depends on what you want to buy. You cannot buy 'duty free' unless you are travelling outside the EU. You will be able to buy perfumes and other gifts but genuinely duty free purchases such alcohol, tobacco or duty free Louis Vuitton are a no unless you are travelling to a destination outside the EU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.