Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This gives the lounges options available for BA passengers departing from LHR T3. If you flight is departing from T3 you will not have access to the T5 lounges - including Concorde Room - since you must have a same-day T5 boarding pass to get airside in T5. If your flight is from T3, then you need to use the T3 lounges, your boarding pass will not work in T5. As it happens there is a good range of lounges available in T3, details below.

For breakfast options for BA Gold / Emerald / First travellers, there is a photo guide in post 291, click here. Note the Qantas lounge only opens at 08:00 hrs.

LHR Terminal 3 First Class Lounges

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...e-reviews.html

LHR Terminal 3 Business Class Lounges

Print Wikipost

Best T3 OneWorld Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:14 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I still find it hard to imagine that having 2.5 x BA lounges, 2 AA lounges, 2 CX lounge and 1 (soon to be 2) QF lounges makes business sense. The airlines should really step up and create a OneWorld complex.
Of course it doesn't make sense, but One World is an 'alliance' not a 'union' so they are all independent businesses looking after their own interests and each need to present their own offering to their customers or look like second class operators.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I still find it hard to imagine that having 2.5 x BA lounges, 2 AA lounges, 2 CX lounge and 1 (soon to be 2) QF lounges makes business sense. The airlines should really step up and create a OneWorld complex.
Personally, I wouldn't like to see that. I can imagine it could be quite bland and down to the lowest common denominator, whereas the current system provides choice and individuality.

It might have have financial benefits for the airlines (or not), but I believe it would mean a reduction in quiet enjoyment for the majority of pax.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Grace B
Personally, I wouldn't like to see that. I can imagine it could be quite bland and down to the lowest common denominator, whereas the current system provides choice and individuality.

It might have have financial benefits for the airlines (or not), but I believe it would mean a reduction in quiet enjoyment for the majority of pax.
On reflection I actually agree that one lounge for all is not a good idea.

Case in point: what’s happened at JFK where the better food and more pleasant ambience of the BA lounges in T7 has been replaced by the worse lounges in T8. I haven’t ever been able to use the Chelsea lounge there but while the architecture of the SoHo lounge is pleasant the atmosphere is less intimate; the Greenwich lounge is much more crowded and chaotic than BA’s main lounge at T7 ever was. Food is worse across the board. And there’s only one coffee machine in the SoHo lounge which seems weird.
Grace B likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Grace B

Completely agree. I can perhaps see the sense of a single Oneworld lounge in airports that don't have a large presence of OW carriers, but in larger hubs such as LHR, HKG, TYO, etc. I'd much prefer having multiple, more unique options.

Regards
Grace B likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Exec, LH M&M
Originally Posted by intunderflow
Was speaking to someone I know who works adjacent to OW (at IAG) - Cathay are becoming increasingly pissed off at what they consider to be effectively a loophole allowing BA (and the rest of the alliance, but the majority of it is BA) to offload its passengers with status into their lounge at T3 despite them having a lounge of their own, and are petitioning other airlines for a solution (not heard what that would be) - seems to be coming to a head because its now affecting the quality of service for Cathay's actual revenue generating first class passengers at peak times

No idea what the response from BA/IAG/OW is or is going to be

Of course the real solution would be for BA to improve their lounge offering so people don't go to the Cathay lounge all the time but that's not Cathay's problem
That would be disappointing. I really like the Cathay lounge
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:11 am

Every time I manually check-in at T3 the BA agent specifically highlights where the BA lounge where can be found. Cathay could take the Qantas approach and charge BA per entry into the lounge or make an exception for business or first class ticket holders. Whilst it would be nice to have a super lounge of sorts, T3 is simply not fit for purpose and should simply be flattened and rebuilt but as this is the UK and we know it will never happen.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:20 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
but as this is the UK and we know it will never happen.
Could you elaborate?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
should simply be flattened and rebuilt but as this is the UK and we know it will never happen.
They did exactly that at T2
salut0 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
If it was lead and run by QF or CX then great, but let’s be honest, it’d likely be BA - so no thank you.
salut0, seanp7 and londonba2014 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:02 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Every time I manually check-in at T3 the BA agent specifically highlights where the BA lounge where can be found. Cathay could take the Qantas approach and charge BA per entry into the lounge or make an exception for business or first class ticket holders. Whilst it would be nice to have a super lounge of sorts, T3 is simply not fit for purpose and should simply be flattened and rebuilt but as this is the UK and we know it will never happen.
it was my understanding that each OW charges the other of one of its pax uses their lounge. Are you saying that Cathay don’t do this?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by gliderpilot
it was my understanding that each OW charges the other of one of its pax uses their lounge. Are you saying that Cathay don’t do this?
I am sure CX charged their OW counterparts, as during COVID this kept a steady revenue stream for CX at LHR, as they were very late starting operations after lockdown.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I lounge-hopped last week with a BA F boarding pass and QF & CX were super friendly and welcoming. YMMV.

I wouldn’t mind a Chelsea-JFK style F OW lounge at T3, since Chelsea has improved under new management.

That said, I think the separate lounges are fine. Lounge-hoppers are a minority and most J pax would go to their own airline’s lounge. Keep in mind T2 has LH, AC, UA and the same scenario for J / *G passengers, with no known plans to consolidate.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by intunderflow
Was speaking to someone I know who works adjacent to OW (at IAG) - Cathay are becoming increasingly pissed off at what they consider to be effectively a loophole allowing BA (and the rest of the alliance, but the majority of it is BA) to offload its passengers with status into their lounge at T3 despite them having a lounge of their own, and are petitioning other airlines for a solution (not heard what that would be) - seems to be coming to a head because its now affecting the quality of service for Cathay's actual revenue generating first class passengers at peak times

No idea what the response from BA/IAG/OW is or is going to be

Of course the real solution would be for BA to improve their lounge offering so people don't go to the Cathay lounge all the time but that's not Cathay's problem
Qantas already do this at T3, they aren't keen on doing it , but will refuse non Qantas passengers when they are approaching capacity at peak times( That is from the horses mouth)
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:46 pm

Surely CX has in some respects created their own problem here. Didn't they reopen the T3 lounges during Covid before they resumed flights. Specifically so they could make revenue from frequent flyers flying other OW airlines.
:D! and m8_rotate like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
Qantas already do this at T3, they aren't keen on doing it , but will refuse non Qantas passengers when they are approaching capacity at peak times( That is from the horses mouth)
I experienced this for the first time last week, it did look fairly busy at 1815 of a midweek evening. I'm sure I have visited at similar times and found the place empty, so either QF demand is picking up or their passengers sometimes all end up in CX!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.