Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar take 9.99% stake in IAG (BA Owners)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by Pilot37
BBC Business Live reporting this morning that Qatar has indeed now purchased more IAG stock taking its shareholding to 20.01%.
It claims it has no plans to further increase its shareholding unless the situation changed materially and that this purchase was more due to the recent drop in IAG's share price which provided an attractive opportunity to increase its stake in the group.
Didn't they say that last time.

They have also taken a 49% stake in Meridiana, and 10% in LATAM. I wonder who is footing the bill, out of Qatar's profits?

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 4, 2016 at 3:53 am Reason: removed politically charged comment
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Flying Squirrel
Probably bad news for IAG staff
“If you did not have unions you wouldn't have this jobless problem in the western world… It is caused by unions making companies and institutions uncompetitive and bringing them to a position of not being efficient,” Akbar Al Baker
Gotta love taking "lessons" in how to organise your civilisation from people who are 100% reliant on foreign technology and expertise for their standard of living.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Worcester
Didn't they say that last time.
But IAG's prices have been deeply suppressed for the last few weeks. Several analysts have estimated the "target price" at 743 p, 91% higher than today. A good deal is a good deal.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:22 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Calchas
But IAG's prices have been deeply suppressed for the last few weeks. Several analysts have estimated the "target price" at 743 p, 91% higher than today. A good deal is a good deal.
So (and regardless of the accuracy or otherwise of analyst forecasts), the point being that the statement of no intent to increase the holding again does not mean a lot. Another future good deal would also be a good deal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they took the holding up towards 30%, given the right opportunity.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
So (and regardless of the accuracy or otherwise of analyst forecasts), the point being that the statement of no intent to increase the holding again does not mean a lot. Another future good deal would also be a good deal. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they took the holding up towards 30%, given the right opportunity.
Well I suppose the statement is intended to underscore QR's position that this is a financial transaction only, not (QR claims) an attempt to assert influence over IAG.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:05 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I believe AAB stated currency markets to be one of the core reasons for increasing the stake in IAG.

I can't find the link, but I believe he spoke at Farnborough and raised the matter - alongside announcing the Meridiana and LATAM deals.

M
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin...

But after Poland, we do not have any further territorial demands
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Calchas
the same ones who said to buy it at even higher levels earlier in the year? errr.. maybe I'll pass on their 'expertise'.

Unlike the armchair experts above it rather looks like the real investors who have to put money where their mouth is have decided quite the opposite and seem very happy to sell to Qatar at ever lower levels
Old Aug 4, 2016, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DFB_london
the same ones who said to buy it at even higher levels earlier in the year? errr.. maybe I'll pass on their 'expertise'.

Unlike the armchair experts above it rather looks like the real investors who have to put money where their mouth is have decided quite the opposite and seem very happy to sell to Qatar at ever lower levels
You misunderstand me. I am suggesting that the owners of Qatar Airways are the ones who believe the advice of the analysts and therefore they have purchased the stock at what they believe is a good price. Indeed they have put their money where their proverbial mouths are to the tune of several billion pounds.

btw, where else would an expert in stocks sit but an arm chair ...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.