Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qatar take 9.99% stake in IAG (BA Owners)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
So if BA has to give up LHR slots after acquiring Aer Lingus, does this put QR first in the queue to buy those slots?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
It looks like BA is the Aer Lingus of the Qatari. They'll probably buy as much of it as they legally can in due time and the airline will join their portfolio of investments alongside Harrods, PSG and Canary Wharf...
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by pauldb
I'm not sure there is a conflict. It isn't illegal for QR to buy 51% of IAG. But then IAG becomes ineligible to operate it's routes. QR would be shooting themselves in the foot, but in any case IAG should work a remedy into their Articles in case it were to happen inadvertently, or aggressively.
Ah that makes more sense - I was under the impression any acquisition above 49% would be blocked, not that they'd just have to leave the EU.

In other news, the Daily Mail are already going on about how awful and dangerous it is that terrorists now own a bit of British Airways, putting us all at risk!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by callum9999
Ah that makes more sense - I was under the impression any acquisition above 49% would be blocked, not that they'd just have to leave the EU.

In other news, the Daily Mail are already going on about how awful and dangerous it is that terrorists now own a bit of British Airways, putting us all at risk!
I thought you were joking until a search uncovered this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Al-Qaeda.html

Does this mean we need to get Sixth Freedom sent off to gitmo for working for a terrorist organisation
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by layz
I thought you were joking until a search uncovered this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Al-Qaeda.html

Does this mean we need to get Sixth Freedom sent off to gitmo for working for a terrorist organisation
I wish I was!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:24 am

I think this is quite a strong vote of confidence in IAG.

If Qatar does acquire a higher stake in IAG, it may make it much more acquisitive in Europe in future. Qatar will have a vehicle that will be able to buy other European airlines outright.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Omnipresent
I think this is quite a strong vote of confidence in IAG.

If Qatar does acquire a higher stake in IAG, it may make it much more acquisitive in Europe in future. Qatar will have a vehicle that will be able to buy other European airlines outright.
Surely Qatar pushing IAG into buying other EU airlines on their behalf falls firmly under the "undue influence" clause.

Not that I see how it's at all beneficial to Qatar to do this. How is having a minority stake in IAG incorporating other EU airlines any different to just buying the minority stake yourself?
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by callum9999
Surely Qatar pushing IAG into buying other EU airlines on their behalf falls firmly under the "undue influence" clause.

Not that I see how it's at all beneficial to Qatar to do this. How is having a minority stake in IAG incorporating other EU airlines any different to just buying the minority stake yourself?
Yes that doesn't quite seem right.

QR and BA are already cooperating on cargo. It would be interesting to see more cooperation where they are not competing, but such opportunities (from the QR side) are probably limited to eastern Africa and parts of the Indian subcontinent. Of course BA serves many small but important cities that QR does not, such as LBA.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes that doesn't quite seem right.

QR and BA are already cooperating on cargo. It would be interesting to see more cooperation where they are not competing, but such opportunities (from the QR side) are probably limited to eastern Africa and parts of the Indian subcontinent. Of course BA serves many small but important cities that QR does not, such as LBA.
The Emirate of West Yorkshire does have a ring to it.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
T'he Emirate o'f West Yorkshire does have a ring to it.
We long for the time when all of Yorkshire was united under one banner, not split by softy southerners into different ridings.

(Full disclaimer: I am originally from North London.)
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I wonder if this would see some improvements rather than enhancements....
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
We long for the time when all of Yorkshire was united under one banner, not split by softy southerners into different ridings
You mean the Kingdom of Northumbria?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I am guessing Al-Baker will be getting a place on the IAG board now. If so will this be good for BA?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Centre for Aviation has some analysis/speculation.

They point out that this is a two-way street, IAG wants QR as much as QR wants IAG.

Didn't know this before but IAG sponsored QR's entry to oneworld.

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...ionship-207595

Originally Posted by icegirl
I am guessing Al-Baker will be getting a place on the IAG board now. If so will this be good for BA?
CAPA says not: "Moreover, a 10% stake does not bring board representation or any formal influence over IAG's strategy."

Last edited by Calchas; Feb 3, 2015 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Qatar Airways ups stake in BA owner IAG to almost 12 per cent

Bloomberg: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ways-owner-iag

Why? "Strengthening ties built around the access BA provides to North America via London and the Gulf carrier’s network of Asian routes."

Did Al Baker just spill the beans on IAG's Q1 result due Friday? “Their performance is absolutely over-the-moon,” Al Baker said during an ATM forum. “They’ve already announced record profits and the first quarter was very good.”

Mods, I recommend updating the threat title to reflect the increased shareholding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.